iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garden Pizza

Started by Dodgy Loner, June 11, 2012, 07:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

The rain over the weekend gave my garden a boost and I came home from work today to find a nice variety of ripe produce: banana pepper, jalapeno, zucchini, squash, and a handful of cherry and grape tomatoes.

The obvious solution was to make a fresh garden pizza! I made a whole wheat crust and rolled it out as thin as I could, then popped it in the oven for a few minutes so in would hold its shape. Then I rubbed it down with a mixture of pesto and minced garlic. On top of that, a layer of freshly sliced tomatoes. The pesto, garlic, and tomatoes effectively serve as a "pizza sauce" that is better than anything you will find in the grocery store! Next I added thinly sliced sauteed squash and zucchini, chopped sauteed banana peppers and onions, fresh jalapenos in medium (about 1/8" thick) slices, and finally topped it off with mozzarella and crumbled bacon. Popped it in the oven for 5 or 10 minutes and:

Mmm-mmm! A little parmesan and it was perfect!

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

okmulch

That looks mighty tasty!  I bet that fresh taste is unbeatable also!!
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WildDog

Looks good, hard to beat home made pizza.....we have an outdoor wood fired pizza oven on the "to do list"
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Planman1954

My wife and I have had THREE pizzas over the last week using banana peppers, jalepena peppers, bell peppers and tomatoes from the garden. Here's how I do mine on the cheap:

I buy jiffy pizza mix (58 cents) and pizza sauce in a bottle (one dollar, and I use only half of it per pizza). I use my big cast iron skillet. I rub shortening on the skillet bottom and sides, then sprinkle corn meal lightly over it. After the pizza dough sits for about 10 minutes, I spread it around the bottom and up the sides a bit, then pour half of the pizza sauce bottle on it and spread it around. Next I put a little ground beef and sausage that I browned in another skillet and put it on first. Now its time for the chopped up veggies. I use bell pepper, jalepeno pepper, banana pepper, and onions. Then I sprinkle on some mozarello cheese, with pepparoni on top of the cheese. Last step is fresh tomato cut up into small chunks on top of the whole thing. I put the skillet pizza in the oven for about 25 minutes on 425 degrees. That makes the best pizza PIE you'll ever eat. Trust me! Good eating!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

ashes

homemade pizza is one of the best things. I really love the garden pizza idea. Now if only my tomatoes would hurry up. ::)

WDH

It looks better today than it did yesterday  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!