iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My day of sharpening

Started by Joanie, August 13, 2012, 06:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanie

I know every one likes pictures, is the blade ready to break, or what is that? ;D

Yes this gal loves Grease and saw dust. Oh and my cat and my honey.
Lt40hd 24hp Onan, Husky 359 that runs when it wants to, Polan Wood Shark at the mill,starts every time, 1994 Jeep YJ.

beenthere

Like the pictures, and like the shop  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Don't look like a break. Cracks are,in my experience, found starting in the gullet at the base of the tooth face or on the back edge.

Looks like a gouge maybe from another tooth when coiled or maybe when taking the blade off or putting it on?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

dutchman

I agree with Bibbyman. Cracks will usually be a single thin line starting on the
tooth edge running toward the back of the blade.
Appears to be surface scratches only.
Happened when the blade was not running.
Is it on the guide side of the blade?

customsawyer

This is one of the scratches that will happen in shipping the blades to you from the manufacture.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

drobertson

If it does break, just hope it does it before you start the cut.  I have never looked that close at my blades.  This does look like what bibby said, but the fact is you still have to run it,or trash it. I would run it, and hope for the best. Worst case senario, it breaks, and you trash it. one waste board and back and running.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

kelLOGg

I see two vastly different hook angles on adjacent teeth. My CatClaw sharpener won't sharpen like that; it profiles the teeth and rakers the same way. Is this odd to anyone else?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

slider

good call bob almost looks like one tooth got missed in the previous sharpening .
al glenn

tyb525

I think it is just the camera, the tooth to the left is set towards the camera, and the tooth on the right is set away from the camera, making it look funny.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

What tyb said is what I thought. But the illusion does appear to show different angles. Worth a check to see.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

Yes I would check to be sure, you never know :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

5quarter

Tyb525...Looks to me like the reverse is true. tooth to the right has the shiny tip...that should be to the outside of the band and is set toward the camera. Tooth on the left looks close to 0° hook angle. I bet KelLog and Slider are right. definitely worth a look.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Chuck White

I agree with most of what's been said here.

I think the 2 teeth looking different is the camera and then one tooth pointing each way!

The gullet isn't quite deep enough to suit me.  It's like my FIL ends up with when using his WM sharpener, there just isn't enough weight to sweep the gullet properly.

I agree the scrape across the blade is from shipping & handling.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Chuck White

Quote from: beenthere on August 13, 2012, 07:33:46 PM
Like the pictures, and like the shop  8)

I like looking at "shop/garage" pics too, sometimes it's interesting to see what good junk someone else has! ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

Quote from: drobertson on August 13, 2012, 09:20:37 PM
If it does break, just hope it does it before you start the cut.  I have never looked that close at my blades.  This does look like what bibby said, but the fact is you still have to run it,or trash it. I would run it, and hope for the best. Worst case senario, it breaks, and you trash it. one waste board and back and running.  david

Most broken blades in the cut will just pull out oppisite the way they cut, wear good gloves.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Joanie

Thank you all, I think I'll run around the grinder a couple of times and see what happens. It is on the guide side.
Lt40hd 24hp Onan, Husky 359 that runs when it wants to, Polan Wood Shark at the mill,starts every time, 1994 Jeep YJ.

fishpharmer

I don't have much experience sharpening.  I will say the mill looks good, with not many hours.  Is that the original hour meter?

Also, I noticed the motorcycle in one pic, please tell us more about it.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

LeeB

I really think your shop might be cleaner than mine.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Fla._Deadheader

QuoteThe gullet isn't quite deep enough to suit me.  It's like my FIL ends up with when using his WM sharpener, there just isn't enough weight to sweep the gullet properly.

When I was using the WM sharpener, I used Munks blades with a nice rounded gullet. I modded the cam slightly and set the drop of the wheel slightly deeper.

I ended up doing 3 WM blades, from their rather square gullet to the Munks shape. It made sawing 37" wide table slabs much easier with a lot better sawdust removal.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ely

Joanie

Quote from: fishpharmer on August 14, 2012, 06:48:12 AM
I don't have much experience sharpening.  I will say the mill looks good, with not many hours.  Is that the original hour meter?

Also, I noticed the motorcycle in one pic, please tell us more about it.
Thats the origional meter. The bike is a 2007 Yamaha V-star classic, getting the Tank lined, stupid new gas rusted it on the inside. I don't run that stuff in any thing now. If I have to I put that Lucus ethional treatment in. I sharpining that blade today, having to run a few times, it's on it's 3rd go around and it's looking better. And that shop is nasty, can't even see the '54 Willis truck me and dad is working on ( winter time project).

Thank You Sponsors!