The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Hurricane Isaac is on it's way.....  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
    • Share Post
Re: Hurricane Isaac is on it's way.....
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 04:40:58 PM »
That's a great rate Dodgy.
You'd pay around 4 times that amount here.
Lane Circle Mill
Homemade Bandmill

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Back again....making multi-colored sawdust
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 12:17:15 AM »
And yet-- people keep on building rebuilding houses by the ocean. Not sure if it's because of the view, or the salt air, or the breeze coming in off the water, or what it is, but people keep on doing it. . . .

When I went down for Ike, I spent most of my time in Baytown, TX. Baytown had a lot of roofs peeled off, fences down, and trees all over, but most of the structures were repairable, except for ones right along the very coastline, where storm surge soaked them through. But I went down to the Bolivar peninsula (actually an island) and checked out the damage there. Practically all the houses were swept right over, EXCEPT for the ones built up on the 15-25 ' high stilts. These houses were built to withstand the storm surges. They were usually held up on top of two substantial walls with a flimsy garage built between the two walls. The two flimsy walls of the garage (including the car door) are designed to blast out easily when the storm surge hits them, meanwhile, the living quarters up above are high and dry (well, at least dry on the inside). These houses are built specifically to withstand anything short of a direct hit by a tornado or a tsunami. Now see, if I had the money to build or buy on the coast, that is the sort of house I would get, and then, assuming I had that kind of money, I wouldn't even bother getting insurance on it. Just have some cash reserves for repairing the roof, yard, etc. as necessary.

However, I don't have that kind of money. If I did, I would have 100 acres or more inland somewhere and just go to visit at the ocean!
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Wagner Farms, Dacusville, SC

Offline florida

• Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 01:06:01 PM »
If you built on the coast today you wouldn't have any choice except to build on pilings. All news homes in the coastal flood zone have to be elevated. That's why, even miles inland, you see new ranch style houses built up on big berms 3 or 4 feet high.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
One of the reasons my premiums in this area are so high is we are surrounded by water having the Gulf on one side and Tampa Bay on the other meeting at the bottom. I am about 3 miles from the gulf on the highest point in the county, concrete house with roof ties etc. I am also in a non evacuation zone.
There has never been a hurricane come ashore here since 1928 or so.
One of my biggest gripes is that insurance Co's are allowed to sell the big money maker policies like auto here but do not have to sell homeowners. Must be nice to pick and choose.
I cannot point to the article but I read a few years ago that even after paying out storm claims they still make a profit for the year.

Personally I think the Insurance Commission should say if you want to sell the money maker's you also have to sell homeowners at a reasonable rate but we know that's not going to happen.

We are not in good hands, they are not on our side and the blanket is moth eaten. >:(

Citizens is constantly in the paper for being mismanaged, spending too much $$ on executive perks etc. but our leaders turn a blind eye.
The First 60 some years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Back again....making multi-colored sawdust
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 08:02:02 PM »
Just glad I live on a ridge around 1,000 ft. elevation. Which doesn't exist in FL or LA.
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Wagner Farms, Dacusville, SC

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Hurricane Isaac Logs

Started by Magicman on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post October 10, 2012, 09:46:06 AM
by Magicman
xx
Isaac

Started by Okrafarmer on General Board

154 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 01:24:46 PM
by Bandmill Bandit