iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

has any one heard

Started by coxy, February 19, 2013, 07:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

i think its the right spot to post            did any one here that husky and jonnyred co was sold a guy at tractor supply told me that thay were? thay are takeing all the husky saws out of tsc

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jocco

Coxy the story on this is they are putting jred in the stores (homeowner version just like  husky) to build the brand up. They are going with new distributors and are not with Tiltons anymore. Even the dealers are not getting good communication ::) There are many posts on internet sites about this. :-X Also many versions of the story :o
You may check out but you will never leave

PAFaller

My dealer just told me yesterday hes having a hard time getting Jonsered parts at the moment. He said the US dealer has changed, and while he has paperwork in to the new supplier they are overwhelmed and cant process the dealer requests fast enough. He was confident that within the next few weeks he'd be all set. He also mentioned the grumblings of Jonsereds small saws going to the big box stores and making the Husqvarna line more of the pro saw, similar to what Jocco just posted. Im sure part of the plan is to buil the brand, but I'm guessing there has been a lot of dealer feedback about having to service Husky saws they didnt sell too. Jonsereds dealer network seems a lot smaller, so maybe the parent company decided to step on a few less toes that way.
It ain't easy...

thenorthman

So Johny Red, Husgavarna, Poulan, Remington, IEL, McCoulach are all made by a vacuum cleaner comany?  Homelight, Too?  while Sachs Dolmar, is made by Makita. Not sure about Echo, or some of the other less popular brands.

Is Stihl the only one still making its own saws?

I'm not Scottish so i have trouble spelling McCoulagh, and Poulan...
well that didn't work

PAFaller

I thought Dolmar was the other way around, made by Dolmar and some are branded Makita? Maybe I am wrong but I thought thats how that deal worked out.

Was at my sawshop today to grab some parts as Im wrenching in the garage today. The scoop I got was that Jonsered is now part of what the company calls the 'Husqvarna group. Apparently until now it has been its own entity, although the saws are pretty similar in some respects. He did not know what this meant, other than that he has to deal with a new supplier here in the states, whos offices are down south, near where this 'Husqvarna group' main north american office. He knew first hand that there has been some serious issues with dealers who are not getting the sales of equipment but then expected to service them, and thought this was part of the reason saws are disappearing from the big box stores. He also mentioned the company trying to grow its sales in the variety of things Husky covers, from saws and wheedwhackers right up through garden tractors and rototillers etc. Other than that he didnt know if we could expect to see red saws in the local TSC soon or not, but was hopeful that would not be the case.
It ain't easy...

Ianab

Makita Bought out Dolmar and 100% owns it.

It was probably the simplest way for Makita to get into the OPE market in a serious way, buy a complete company, with all the factories, staff and technology as a going concern. Now Makita are are serious power tool company in their own right, so I'm guessing they didn't do it to just buy the name and run it into the ground by slapping it on any cheap chunk (as has been done with some other brands)

So the green Makita saws are made in the Dolmar factory, which is 100% owned by Makita....

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

coxy

thanks for the info i love ff 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8 ;D ;D ;D

jocco

To add a  little more we were told that the brand was dieing in the USA Partly due to tiltons (the distributor) Also in the past anyone who had Husky did not need jonsered. In some areas the distributors have been doing better than jred with redmax another husky group brand. Many of us feel it is going to take a while to shake this out Also Jred has many modles that are obsolete and is supposedly coming out with new modles.  smiley_ignore THE LECTURE IS NOW OVER smiley_hourglass

uote author=PAFaller link=topic=64327.msg958611#msg958611 date=1361277267]
My dealer just told me yesterday hes having a hard time getting Jonsered parts at the moment. He said the US dealer has changed, and while he has paperwork in to the new supplier they are overwhelmed and cant process the dealer requests fast enough. He was confident that within the next few weeks he'd be all set. He also mentioned the grumblings of Jonsereds small saws going to the big box stores and making the Husqvarna line more of the pro saw, similar to what Jocco just posted. Im sure part of the plan is to buil the brand, but I'm guessing there has been a lot of dealer feedback about having to service Husky saws they didnt sell too. Jonsereds dealer network seems a lot smaller, so maybe the parent company decided to step on a few less toes that way.
[/quote]

thenorthman

I'm not 100% on who owns who anymore but I am pretty sure makita bought Sachs-dolmar ( Who used to be Sachs, Dolmar, but now some call it Dolmar...or just Sachs... confusing huh...) I think their reasoning was they wanted to build chainsaws and expand their market.  Either way seems that there is only 3 maybe 4 people making saws anymore, can't be good for inovation, or quality

By the way most of those other saws are owned by Electrolux, they also build cheap vacuums and cheap refrigerators, might as well build cheap saws too

Anyone ever hear of a saw called the Comet come out of Denmark or Norway, ran on diesel?  I really want one...
well that didn't work

jocco

Comet: yes i have seen them ;D they were tied in with the begining of jonsered The Norwegions made the Jobu wich got merged with some company in what is now Husqy and got  discontinued >:(

Quote from: thenorthman on February 19, 2013, 07:24:08 PM
I'm not 100% on who owns who anymore but I am pretty sure makita bought Sachs-dolmar ( Who used to be Sachs, Dolmar, but now some call it Dolmar...or just Sachs... confusing huh...) I think their reasoning was they wanted to build chainsaws and expand their market.  Either way seems that there is only 3 maybe 4 people making saws anymore, can't be good for inovation, or quality

By the way most of those other saws are owned by Electrolux, they also build cheap vacuums and cheap refrigerators, might as well build cheap saws too

Anyone ever hear of a saw called the Comet come out of Denmark or Norway, ran on diesel?  I really want one...

thecfarm

I went up to my local TSC and I noticed a couple empty spots where the Huskys are. Still had 2-3 on the shelf. Most times I never even look. I did not ask about the red ones.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Couple comments take them as just that .Husqvarna could have been a major player in this area except for a power play .Several years ago ,ten or so they insisted with the Stihl dealers it was "us or them " .Of course the Stihl dealers told them where to shove it and Huskey pulled their dealerships and refused to buy back the parts stocks .

They may never graduate out of Lowes and other box stores in this area over that smooth move in the forseeable future

J-red although they made good saws from the few I've worked on never was a major player nor was Dolmar .Lack of good dealer support ,not bad saws .

McCulloch circled the drain in '98 .The once proud leader of the industry got blind sided by a board of directors who were asleep at the switch .Once again proving if you don't mind the store pretty soon you have no store to mind .--and so it went .

thecfarm

I picked up TSC Blue Book,Coming in April 2013,Jonsered. No mention of Huskys at all in the book.

Al_Smith

If ,the big if they do go with J-Red they will not be the higher end models just like other brands they have carried in the past .TSC ,Lowes ,Sears and Roebuck are all courting the same buying crowd .

thenorthman

McCulloch(thanks fer da spelling...) started making stinkers in the 80's, home light kept going for a bit, but followed suit.  Stihl and Husky where the only major players for a long time out here, if you found a Sachs, Johney Red, or an Echo, chances are they where brought in from back east and where very hard to get parts for.  My dad has a Sachs while its a bear to start it has always ran and ran strong, for many years that was our big firewood saw, running a 32" bar ( I never did see a model number on it...).

The problem I see, and its an assumption based largely on guesswork and paying attention to quality, is that as soon as a saw company starts selling to box stores or hardware strores on a regular basis, they suddenly have to lower cost, to lower cost you have to make lots more saws for the same price, quality is almost always the first casualty, followed by ingenuity.  Why else would the mac 10, have been on the market for so long?   The second death nail in my book is when a saw company starts making lawn mowers... Husky has a long tradition of 2-stroke engines (their motorcycles where awsome) but delving into 4-stroke and cheap lawn mowers... really?

People gripe about Stihls costing so much, used to be that Huskys where not far behind, now huskys costs a whole lot less than a Stihl.  But Stihls tend to keep their parts where they belong, bits don't just fall off, even if a screw or two falls out they still hold together, Seen lots of huskys drop handles and brake levers, mufflers go for a ride, starter covers get tore off...  Don't worry kids now that Husky owns just about everyone else, do you really think that quality is going to improve? 

I do wish I could try out one of those new makitas, that old sachs was a beast and pretty light too...
well that didn't work

Al_Smith

I think all the major players at one time had higher quality of saws but most made a lesser quality product Stihl being no exception .

The Husqvana name by itself is one of the oldest companies in the world and one of the more diverse .Lawnmowers ,motorcycles ,sewing machines just to name a few products and Lord only knows of how many more  or under what brand name .If history has anything to do with it they will be in business probabley forever .

Of course we thought that about good old Budweiser but that proved false .Imagine that St. Louis beer owned by the Germans .What on earth caused that ?Sad day indeed . :(

Electrolux or whatever they call it now has made more products than 1950's carpet sweepers .It's a big conglomerant fingers in a lot of pies .

ClarkF66

thenorthman; Comet chainsaws where made half an hour down the road from me. They used what they called a 'semi diesel' engine. It had propane stored in the handlebars which was used to heat a glowplug to make it run on almost any fuel (diesel, gas, kerosene). They where made around 1950.   
Jobu was bought by Swedish Electrolux in 1983 and the last Jobus where Jonsereds in disguise. I have a pretty nice 1964 JOBU Tiger S sitting around.
Most professional saws over here are Stihl or Husqvarna, Stihl actually beeing priced a bit lower than Husqvarna.   

Thank You Sponsors!