iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3-4 feet into a cut when I decided back stops, clamp would be in the way

Started by Tee, February 23, 2013, 09:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 23, 2013, 01:08:53 PM
Quote from: Larry on February 23, 2013, 12:40:34 PM

Just to make you feel good, I won't tell what happens when I hit the wrong lever while sawing.  It only happens once. :-[

Please post pics.  ;D  smiley_curtain_peek

I think Larry's answer is "Pictures? What pictures? Remember, no pictures, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!"

Herb

Magicman

Since there will be times when you do need to back a blade out or remove a broken band, you always need to have an assortment of wedges, a hatchet, and a section of broken blade.  In time you will need them all.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

I use the jumper cables on the battery of the mill. There is less chance of frying a fuse this way.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Tee

Seems to be a lot of folks that just jumper the hyd. system. If the bottom of the log is still an uncut surface, (unstable) I guess there is a chance of it moving enough to possibly break the blade when it's unclamped...?

Magicman

No you will not break the blade, but the log could move slightly causing the new cut to not quite align with the previous partial cut. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

I don't have a WM so this response may not apply but I have at times seen that if I continue sawing I will hit a squaring arm or clamp. So, I stop the engine loosen a clamp a tad, lower the squaring arm(s), re-tighten the clamps, start the engine and continue sawing. I rarely have to back a blade out and dread it when I do because it is a PITA.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

YellowHammer

Backing a blade out is a useful tecnique to be learned for a new sawyer because you will need to do it occasionally for several reasons and usually in front of other people. It's also a lot better to do it if in doubt before you hit something as opposed to after.
I disengage the blade because I've found backing out with the blade running will usually throw the blade making things a lot worse in a hurry.
After the band has stopped spinning I crank the blade tension all the way up to try to lock the blade on the band wheels and gently bump the reverse feed and see if the blade wants to move backward.  If so I just keep bumping it back until its clear, in a slow controlled  manner. If it looks like its hanging, you will see the band flex, stop, then drive a wedge to open the kerf and back it out then. Sometimes its just as easy to push the head and back it out by hand.  I always keep a hatchet and a couple wedges nearby.  Once you get the hang of it, it's no real sweat.
Have fun sawing

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Slabs

One more from der klugemeister.

Have someone hold the clamp lever down and take a pry bar and move the clamp back just far enough to relieve the pressure on the cant.  Have that person hold the turner lever down and use a BIG wrench to move the back stops down just enough to clear.

Opening the hydraulic valve in the desired direction will allow the cylinder to traverse in the desired direction while applied force will force the fluid from the cylinder back into the reservoir.  Try it with a log on the loader with the head away from the copper bar.  I've done it many times with the loader full of flitches that will hit the head and after passing the contact bar

The jumper battery and cables will work well if they're available.  Take to cover off the hydraulic unit and calmp the positive cable onto the solenoid nut on the battery side.  Hydraulics will work normally and fuse will be bypassed.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

danreed76

I just keep some plastic felling wedges handy at the mill. Stop the blade, open the kerf a bit, and back out.  Readjust and start over.  Seems since I've started keeping the wedges on hand more, I've ended up needing them less.   

Best advice I've seen yet is tho sight the blade when you're running close to the stops or the clamp... that way you have good reason to kick yourself when you hit something.

Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

moandrich

woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

Brucer

Quote from: pyrocasto on February 23, 2013, 01:04:23 PM
I would just get a bimetal blade and in the future if there's a stop in your way, just keep going trim it down some.   :D

Tried it, doesn't work >:(.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Sixacresand

The LT10 uses drop in log stops.  I cut several wooden log stops, but still have yo use the steel ones while turning big logs.  But not too long ago, I had the wooden log stops in place and ran the blade into the log clamp.  Most of ya'll never get "tired stupid" like me. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

rmack

There must be a fairly easy way to step the return speed down to a crawl for those rare occasions. 

Isn't the motor speed a function of voltage?
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

thecfarm

Now I know why my ears were burning.  ;D  Snowing out and looking at a few posts that I THINK I don't have much to offer. And than I see where Poston tired to slip in them g...s.  Just can not trust that guy at all.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Chuck White

I've done just as you did several times Tee!

It works, in a pinch, most of us would have a chainsaw with us on sawjobs, so you can always make a wedge out of a chunk of slabwood.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brucer

Quote from: rmack on February 24, 2013, 09:51:35 AM
Isn't the motor speed a function of voltage?

Yes, it is. Unfortunately so is motor torque. If you reduce the voltage very much you won't be able to move the head. The preferred method is to power the motor with short, full voltage pulses. Vary the width of the pulse (the "on" time) to change the speed. It's called Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) and it's how Wood-Mizer controls the forward speed. If you move the head forward with the engine off, you'll hear a whine from the control panel; that's the PWM control unit sending out pulses.

The carriage control switch is wired to feed the drive motor from the controller when the head moves forward, and bypass the controller completely when the head moves in reverse.

Theoretically you could re-wire the controls so the PWM unit is used for both forward and backward operation. You would have to be vary careful to reverse the voltage on the output of the controller. If you reverse the polarity on the input you'll toast the unit.

rmack

Bruce, what about installing a separate PWM for the reverse travel? are they pricey?

would it be possible to just have one with two settings, available via toggle switch rather than having a rheostat?

Btw, never had grits, never even seen them, except in pictures. It would take something real special to wean me off potatoes. :)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Larry on February 23, 2013, 12:40:34 PM
I couldn't help myself...it was the  smiley_devil.

Just to make you feel good, I won't tell what happens when I hit the wrong lever while sawing.  It only happens once. :-[
...I WISH! :(
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Brucer

Quote from: rmack on February 24, 2013, 03:22:47 PM
Bruce, what about installing a separate PWM for the reverse travel? are they pricey?

The basic circuit is pretty simple and the parts are cheap. I've made them to control small hobby motors. When you have to control a high-current motor like the carriage drive on a mill it gets more expensive. The PWM circuit is the same but you need some pretty hefty semiconductors at the outputs to handle the motor current. In fact, you'd want to be sure you could handle a stalled drive motor for half a minute or so.

Wood-Mizer's controller has a lot of extra features for diagnosing faults and for protecting the circuit from overloads and so on. That adds to the price.

There's also a PWM unit in the WM sharpener to control the cam motor. It's simpler but I'm pretty sure it couldn't handle the current.

would it be possible to just have one with two settings, available via toggle switch rather than having a rheostat?

It would be easy to do with a toggle switch or even just a push button. The PWM circuit wouldn't change at all. The potentiometer just varies the resistance at the circuit inputs, so any other scheme to change the resistance would work.

kelLOGg

I got my PWM unit at MidwestMotionProducts and thy are pricey ~180$. After 7 years I accidently reversed the input leads and like Brucer said, I fried the unit.  :( >:( .When I installed the 2nd one I protected the input with a diode. It robs a couple of volts from the output but I use 24 VDC so it doesn't make a noticeable difference.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!