iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shingle mill

Started by Peter Drouin, April 05, 2013, 06:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I have been looking at them and don't know alot about them, there are different names and kinds to, I know alot of them are old and some have a lot of wood in them like the old saw mills, and was told to stay away from the wood ones,I have seen them work at the fairs, and they go right along, do a nice job. Im sure some one makes new ones.
So I thought I would ask all my friends here what they know and set me straight :D :D :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bill_G

I have one that looks like the one in the picture . Mine is  a Chase , they are alot of fun . Every year I get at least 10 people stopping by trying to buy it . They make jigs for bandmills , but the kerf is going the wrong way on the finished shingle .

Jay C. White Cloud

Bill, did you bring yours to the Tumbridge Fair in Vermont?  It looks like the same one?
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

woodandtractors

Peter-Check with George Corliss in Northfield,NH,he has a fairly modern one.I think the mfg. name is Desjardin or something close to that.
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: woodandtractors on April 05, 2013, 07:58:56 PM
Peter-Check with George Corliss in Northfield,NH,he has a fairly modern one.I think the mfg. name is Desjardin or something close to that.
Mike
[/quot

I know him. Ill go see him thanks
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on April 05, 2013, 07:08:06 PM
Bill, did you bring yours to the Tumbridge Fair in Vermont?  It looks like the same one?

Jay thats a good fair
the pics are from deer field and fryburg fairs, ann and I go to ALL of them. maine NH VT :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Jay C. White Cloud

Thanks Peter D., maybe next year we could have a cup of coffee at one of them?
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

bandmiller2

Pete,thats a Chase for sure,I owned one for 30 years,just sold it and in fact it went to NH.Chase and Lane are the two most common in our area.They are a lot of fun for a time but get boring fast I'd hate to have to make a living with one.Due to the lack of white cedar in my area I cut white pine.Pine makes a good shingle but you should stain them or they will turn black in places.Good luck with your scearch Pete there around but most guys want too much for them. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

I might as well ramble on a little.A shingle mill keys in well with a logging operation you get your logs from a tree and several shingle chunks from the top.Their seems to be 16" between the nodes on most pines.I've found it best to let green pine chunks age until the sap starts to turn white on the ends much more pleasant to work with. Used to cheat and mill a cant on the sawmill then cut that to shingle chunks.Green shingles will shrink more at the thin top than the butt I would let them dry then trim the sides and they would stay square. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Peter Drouin

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 06, 2013, 06:18:47 AM
Pete,thats a Chase for sure,I owned one for 30 years,just sold it and in fact it went to NH.Chase and Lane are the two most common in our area.They are a lot of fun for a time but get boring fast I'd hate to have to make a living with one.Due to the lack of white cedar in my area I cut white pine.Pine makes a good shingle but you should stain them or they will turn black in places.Good luck with your scearch Pete there around but most guys want too much for them. Frank C.

ya I bet they blue stain, I would maybe dip them in bleach. I have a WM shingle maker but it is slow, I don't get a lot of call for them but when I do I would like to cut them , then maybe I would get more calls. the outher thing I bet I could get ceder down from up north, If you show the loggars alot of money, well not to much :D Ill have ceder in my yard . the thing with fixing old houses or barns, I can cut the long beams and boards and all, but would like to get all the stuff, and wood shingles would be part of that, one stop shop :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 06, 2013, 06:50:42 AM
I might as well ramble on a little.A shingle mill keys in well with a logging operation you get your logs from a tree and several shingle chunks from the top.Their seems to be 16" between the nodes on most pines.I've found it best to let green pine chunks age until the sap starts to turn white on the ends much more pleasant to work with. Used to cheat and mill a cant on the sawmill then cut that to shingle chunks.Green shingles will shrink more at the thin top than the butt I would let them dry then trim the sides and they would stay square. Frank C.

I had a man tell me to have the nodes in the center that way the clear wood would show the nots would be in the over lap, I want to thank you Frank C. for the info I need all the help I can get on this :D :D  and the shrink thing I see how that would happen, more to think about
A&P saw Mill LLC.

loggah

One of my mills is a Chase, the other one is a C.T. Lovell made in Fitchburg mass. I generally cut the bolts out of the pine tops,which would normally be pulp. I will saw them as soon as i cut them which eliminates the pitch buildup on the block ends, or when the wood is frozen. Poplar makes a good shingle also, most of the shingles i cut are used for siding. I have never tried ceder since i doesn't grow here locally.Sawing shingles is fun,bundling them is a P.I.T.A. !!! ;D ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Dewey

My cousin has one   check out CK Shingle .com

thecfarm

I've seen that one in the first picture somewheres.  :D

I enjoy Fryeburg Fair too. So do ALOT of other people too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dgdrls

Quote from: Dewey on April 06, 2013, 07:56:57 AM
My cousin has one   check out CK Shingle .com

Pretty cool video's on the sight, beautiful materials,

DGDrls

Peter Drouin

Quote from: woodandtractors on April 05, 2013, 07:58:56 PM
Mike

Well I saw George Corliss today and all I can say is wow, the man has a set up with all the conveyors, has a it hook to a tractor pto, a blower to take away the dust,  walls with samples of all the wood that grows around here, a nice set up, Im not going to buy one now just send the customer to him :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

woodandtractors

I thought you might enjoy the tour. They also have a bandmill set up under cover,I don't recall what brand it is.
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

Thank You Sponsors!