iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coconut Rescue

Started by Mooseherder, April 20, 2013, 03:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

I was mowing by the canal this morning and noticed there was a Coconut that had started to sprout as it had been floating around in the canal.
We put the coconuts that fall from the tree out back in the shade and get about a third of them that grow like this one did.  When we got flooded out last year they had floated all over the neighborhood and the canal.  One landed by my neighbors pond and is still there.  This one has been in the water for a few months.  It is the first time I've seen anything like this.  Here's a picture of the one I had in the shade.  I kicked it into the canal after we retrieved the wet one. ;D

Then the one in the water and now in a bucket.
It will make the journey to Maine this summer.
I have a friend who wants one for his sun room.

I will post video of the rescue later.  It is uploading.

Mooseherder

Paul_H

I kept expecting the alligator to attack  :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Mooseherder

The alligators will probably have some of their kin visiting us again in the future.
The last 2 were taken away by the friendly trappers.
They'll be back because our ponds and this canal are at the end of this local water ecosystem.

Cedarman

Quote from: Paul_H on April 20, 2013, 03:33:57 PM
If that gator happened to attack and defensive measures had to be taken, it wouldn't bother me in the least if some of it showed up at the pig roast.  The last I had there tasted real good. ;D ;D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Fla._Deadheader

Heh, 4 years in the black water rivers and we never had a gator attack.  ::) ;D

Just walk on in there and gather them seeds.  :) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Roxie

That is very interesting.  I've never seen a just sprouted coconut.  Kevin sure has some patience.   :)
Say when

SwampDonkey

Never seen one sprouted neither. I guess that's why they can float for months on the open sea, land on an island beach and take root. I'm not sure if that's how it's done, but how else did tiny islands get palm trees? ;D Now, I've never seen any on PEI. Hmm :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Lud

SD,  you've never seen a coconut sprouting???   Where you live???   Hah,  and you call yourself a forester!! :D :D :D :D ;D ;D 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Jeff

This somehow reminds me of the movie ice age and the prehistoric squirrel with the acorn. :D :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

Quote from: Paul_H on April 20, 2013, 03:33:57 PM

That's what I was thinking!  LOL  Pretty cool, Mooseherder.

Ianab

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 20, 2013, 06:17:07 PM
Never seen one sprouted neither. I guess that's why they can float for months on the open sea, land on an island beach and take root. I'm not sure if that's how it's done, but how else did tiny islands get palm trees? ;D Now, I've never seen any on PEI. Hmm :D

Yup, that's pretty much how coconuts work. They sprout like that in the water, and hopefully get washed up around the high tide mark on some beach. If the locals want another coconut tree, they walk along the beach and find one like Mooseherder's sprout, and just plant it.

Hours of careful scientific observation went into this observation...  ;)

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

That's the kind of science worth observing. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

"Put The Lime In The Coconut"

Put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up
You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up
You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up
You put the lime in the coconut and call the doctor woke him up
I said Doctor! Is there nothing I can take
I said Doctor! To relieve this bellyache
I said Doctor! Is there nothing I can take
I said Doctor! To relieve this bellyache

:D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I remember this song.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!