iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My simple homemade bandsaw mill

Started by mrector, July 06, 2013, 07:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlieb

Just Ran across your Mill.Very nice! can you explain how you did your tracking and blade tension ?

Komatsu_Mech1

I too also just came across this thread, I am in the beginning stages of designing a home made mill and was thinking of using the same set up for the band wheels and was wondering how well the belts floating on the pulley worked and if the single groove pulley was ample enough to hold the blade on?? nice looking rig.

Thanks

kelLOGg

I just saw this, too.  Nice job,  Mikey. I like the pillow block support - no overhung load. How do you adjust tracking? How wide does it cut?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

mrector

I have sold this mill about a year and half ago. But I will answer any questions you guys have. I adjusted tension with a threaded rod on the opposed side of the engine. The pillow blocks I mounted on a plate with two 1" round rods that acted as sliding guides for adjustment. The drive side is hinged with a bolt as the locking device to keep track. I used a simple go kart clutch and 7hp chinese honda knock off engine. Worked fairly well. The belts in the pulley grooves are just exactly like the way my Norwood and woodmizer are. I had 36" in between guides. Had no where near the stability or power to cut that wide tho haha.
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

mrector

Just looked at the view count on this thread I made and WOW, 14000+ views! I really hope this thread has helped some guys along thier way. Kind of somewhat a success story in the making.. as I now own a full hydraulic woodmizer and have many sustained customers.  I saw roughly about 2-3k feet of walnut, cherry and erc per month and sell most of it before blade hits the log! I could bot have done all this without the help and knowledge of great guys here at the FF!
Thanks
Mikey
And ps, I am getting larger as I now have a 60x60 shed and drying shed and a forklift now. Wow 2.5 years and this is all coming together!
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

steveh2112

hi, sorry this is an old thread but i'm interested in this design and also wonder about the V belts used as tires which seem to be barely hanging on. is this OK? looks like it is working but wouldn't it be better to find a V belt that fits snuggly into the 18.75" pulley sheaves? thx

Rybot

If you look at the commercial units that us v belts as tires you will see the same thing. the belt is held tightly in place by the blade on one side of the wheel and is a little loose on the inside because I can't imagine trying to stretch a perfect fit belt over a pulley.

Also, I am glad you revived this thread. I am in the process of designing my own bandmill and it is always helpful to see other peoples designs. 

Quote from: mrector on January 06, 2015, 01:45:24 PM
Just looked at the view count on this thread I made and WOW, 14000+ views! I really hope this thread has helped some guys along thier way. Kind of somewhat a success story in the making.. as I now own a full hydraulic woodmizer and have many sustained customers.  I saw roughly about 2-3k feet of walnut, cherry and erc per month and sell most of it before blade hits the log! I could bot have done all this without the help and knowledge of great guys here at the FF!
Thanks
Mikey
And ps, I am getting larger as I now have a 60x60 shed and drying shed and a forklift now. Wow 2.5 years and this is all coming together!

Congrats on the success. That is amazing.

steveh2112

ok, thanks, so a 18.75" OD pulley wheel like this https://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Pulleys/Finished-Bore-Pulleys/18-75-OD-1-1-4-Bore-1-Groove-Pulley-1-BK190-H.axd would have a 58.9" circumference. I'd be inclined to go with a sung fitting belt like this
58" B V-Belt Type B55 5L580 Classic Bestorq | Bestorq | Brands | Surplus Center

would you go bigger?

also, i read that blade speed should be between 5000 and 5500 ft/min, with a 18.75" wheel (18.4" datum diameter) that's 57.8" or 4.82 ft per revolution. so i calculate i'd need 1037rpm on the main wheel.

i have a kohler 6.5HP motor from my wood chipper RH265 | RH Series | KOHLER i plan to repurpose to save $$$$, its rated at 3600rpm, so that makes a 3.47:1 reduction ratio on the pulley. anyone care to double check my math please?

i was thinking 132" blade like this Wood-Mizer Online Store - Blades
that would give about 3' between the wheels

not sure about blade guides, i did see this Standard roller guide retrofit system by Cooks Saw
price is a bit high but i guess its pro level where you need it.

what you all think?

FYI, i found this very interesting about the wheels https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMWVqczpbBA

i wonder if the V belts flopping around like the OPs machine causes vibration in the blade?

Jem08080

Looks great! Do you have the plans/specs available for purchase?

Thank you.

John

fluidpowerpro

There are a number of people selling sawmill plans on ebay. 
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Iwawoodwork

The 58" V  belt you will probably not be able to stretch it over the 18,75 pulley, I ended up with 60 inch 5/8 fully cloth wrapped v belts. 

welderskelter

I just have car tires on mine but was wondering about using a v belt pulley then cut the v belt so as to be able to just lay it in the groove. Then buy a set of tires they call them to fit over the pulley and belt. The tires I am talking about are like rubberbands that fit on these upright bandsaws for your shop. Maybe I think to much.

Iwawoodwork

If your saw blade is staying on the tires as they are and you are not having a problem with tires taking the set out of the teeth then my suggestion is leave it like it is, "if it isn't broke why fix it".

Thank You Sponsors!