iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Struck Magnatrac mini tracked crawlers

Started by grweldon, July 10, 2013, 09:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

Poston posted a while ago about Magicman needing one of these and it I requested more information about them from the company.  I was wondering if anybody has one of these and how useful it is.  I'd also like opinions about their value.  I suppose that the 4800 model with backhoe and loader is right around $15K.  For that amount you can get a decent used backhoe, which would serve my needs as well.

http://www.struckcorp.com/models.html

What'cha all think?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

fishpharmer

Look at the specs for a backhoe in comparison to the 4800.  Or better yet, rent a late model backhoe for a day, put it through a workout, dig some holes, load some dirt.  Then look at the Struck specs closely.  After that I would be suprised if you want a struck.  Although, I am sure they are very useful for specific applications.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Mooseherder

I think someone would have buyers remorse every time you saw it sitting beside the barn after it's work was done.

beenthere

You put that very well, Mooseherder. My thoughts, but you put 'em into gentle words.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Yeah, and thinking about all those 2000 dollar attachments hanging around would cause the wife to give you more guilt/grief. :D

thecfarm

With all my projects the only time it would be sitting is when I would be sleeping.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

$15,000?   :o.  I never would've guessed they ran that much. I remember seeing them in the back of Popular Mechanics and daydreaming about setting one up with a snowblower attached. I never checked into the prices.  My lawnmower has a Kohler 25 HP and I can't imagine moving much dirt with it.

For that kind of money, I'd look for a skid steer with low hrs  and if you have a use for one, maybe a backhoe attachment. Or like you said, go right for a nice used backhoe.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

plaindriver

Quote from: grweldon on July 10, 2013, 09:51:40 AM
Poston posted a while ago about Magicman needing one of these and it I requested more information about them from the company.  I was wondering if anybody has one of these and how useful it is.  I'd also like opinions about their value.  I suppose that the 4800 model with backhoe and loader is right around $15K.  For that amount you can get a decent used backhoe, which would serve my needs as well.

http://www.struckcorp.com/models.html

What'cha all think?

GR, Whats your primary objective? Just the backhoe, or do you want a blade or dirt mover?? Reason I ask is that I just pulled the trigger on a small 'tow behind' backhoe. Paid $3449 out the door, delivered. Its pretty beefy too. Just assembled it out of the crate yesterday using only a floor jack and FEL on my tractor. Its around 1200#, decent specs, a 9 + 14" bucket. 

Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

Magicman

Quote from: grweldon on July 10, 2013, 09:51:40 AMPoston posted a while ago about Magicman needing one of these 
I think that David forgot about my "Fat Albert".   ;D

You don't send a boy to do a man's job, plus it will also dig in the dirt.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

QuoteReason I ask is that I just pulled the trigger on a small 'tow behind' backhoe.

plaindriver
We'll be very interested in seeing some pics and a report on how well this backhoe works. When do you plan to start digging, and what will be the project?  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

plaindriver

Well, Im sorta waiting for the ground to dry up a bit. I thing we have had about 3.7 million inches of rain since June 1.
I have a few small tree stumps to dig out, and I want to get started on a workshop/man-cave soonly- -about 28x48 or so. So, it will need to have footings dug. And the trenches for conduit, gas lines, water & drain lines. I also need to do a french drain at the base of my main house, then bore a discharge line beneath the driveway 30' or so.  And, this being Tn, AKA Rocky Top, the ground here seems to grow rocks, so I will often be trying to dig up some of those.
Surprisingly, this thing is rather burly. A lot of the steel is .375' thick. Only poss negative might be the China engine, which is a Honda clone, 9HP rated. So far, its started right up and seems good. I installed an hr-meter prior to first start, as I did on the bandsaw (and have done on any gas engine equipment I have)

Im sure there is a learning curve to operating these and I will post lotsa pictures and a report on how well it works and if it meets my level of expectation.
Kubota L4600 DT w/FEL, John Deere 750 4WD w/FEL, PH Digger,RotoTiller,Box Scraper,Disc;16, 18, 20" chainsaws;Troy Built 27T splitter; table saw, radial arm saw,turning lathe, chipper, small backhoe, Isuzu NPR 14' stakeside diesel truck; a wife that still likes me.

loggah

There a good toy, but i think that much cash could be spent a lot wiser,JMO. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

plaindriver

Quote from: beenthere on July 11, 2013, 10:43:25 AM
QuoteReason I ask is that I just pulled the trigger on a small 'tow behind' backhoe.

plaindriver
We'll be very interested in seeing some pics and a report on how well this backhoe works. When do you plan to start digging, and what will be the project?  8)

Well, we've had a few days of no rain, so I took the new little backhoe out for its maiden voyage. First victim was an old 4-5" round wooden fence post in concrete that prev owner had cut flush. Couldnt scare it with the FEL/chain on tractor. Towed the backhoe out, and within a few 'spoonfulls', I had it out. Next, I tinkered with a stump of a sourwood tree. The stump was about 8" dia. Took several bites, and waala, ripped it out of the ground! Its amazing how much beak-out force that can come from relatively few HP when hydraulics are involved. There is a learning curve to using this implement, and I am way behind that curve at present.  After the stump was out, I then thought- -why did I just do that for? Woulda been way cleaner to just burn it out where is. But, when you have a new toy, . . . .well, Im still just a boy at heart.

You can sorta see the wood post in the middle of the concrete.

8" Sourwood prior to backhoe attack.

8" stump no match for little backhoe.

Al_Smith

That little wee crawler in the link only weighs about a shade over a 1600 pounds .Sure it's a crawler but I doubt seriously if it has much more guts than an 8N Ford if as much .Too little but it is kinda cute .

Busy Beaver Lumber

Plaindriver

I am impressed with your towable backhoe. Looks to be well make and have plenty of power for its size. Would think it could be very handy loading logs on to a flat bed trailer or dump trailer like the one i have.

I am thinking about ordering myself one. Will be watching this post to see how you like it when you put a few more hours in the pilots seat and try it on a few more challenges. Have you tried lifting a log yet?
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

thecfarm

I wonder??? Scary!!! Could a grapple be put on that too?? Could swap them to what ever is needed. Would help us manual mills guys. I use my loader on my tractor now,for the big ones. Don't saw too many big ones anymore. I'm impressed by what it did.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

grweldon

Quote from: Magicman on July 11, 2013, 09:15:12 AM
I think that David forgot about my "Fat Albert".   ;D

You don't send a boy to do a man's job, plus it will also dig in the dirt.   ;D

Lynn, What is the make/model of Fat Albert?

It appears to be exactly what I would need/want/use!

After hearing all the comments here regarding my original post I don't really need to wait for the information that I requested to arrive.  I pretty much thought the same as just about everybody who posted but it's good to hear that I'm thinking along the right lines.  I think the backhoe would be the way to go.  I might be able to swing a purchase next year.  I don't want to go in to debt to buy one...

Thanks for all the helpful replys...

Plaindriver... that tow-behind backhoe looks like it may be a good compromise.  What brand/model is it?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

plaindriver

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on July 14, 2013, 08:22:41 PM
Plaindriver

I am impressed with your towable backhoe. Looks to be well make and have plenty of power for its size. Would think it could be very handy loading logs on to a flat bed trailer or dump trailer like the one i have.

I am thinking about ordering myself one. Will be watching this post to see how you like it when you put a few more hours in the pilots seat and try it on a few more challenges. Have you tried lifting a log yet?

OK, I havent tried hefting anything with it. Please dont pull the trigger on one of these YET, till I can give you a pirep (pilots report) on its log lifting capabilities. It occurs to me that you would have to get the CG of the log awful close for balance reasons. Also, I aint sure how high you could lift. Plus, with a (say 1000#) log att to the bucket, I question what its mobility might be like. Its born mainly to dig, not heft.
It is pretty burly, tho. Note thickness on some of the critical iron components. And everything is powder coated.

The brand is "Forest King". Here are some specs on it:
Mini backhoe, operating radius is 130degrees.

- 9hp 4 stroke OHV motor               

- 4 double action hydraulic cylinders

- ca.130 degrees operating radius   

- ca. max lifting 1,800 lb.

- ca. ripping force 4,500 lbs           

-dig's up to 7 feet deep

- reach = up to 8 feet

- comes with a trench bucket  9"x11 1/2x 18" ; Also has a 14" bucket option.

Stabilizer arms (manual):

The rest of the pics just show thickness of critical components. I use my Swiss knife for ref.

grweldon

OK... one more question concerning the mini-crawler...

I've been looking at a used Kubota BX24 backhoe/loader.  Total weight of the tractor (not sure if it includes the BH/FEL) is right at 1500 lbs. Without considering cost/value, how does everybody feel the Kubota (3-cyl diesel) would stack up with the pulling/digging/pushing cababilities of the mid-size Struck 4800 crawler?

beenthere

Apples and oranges. They crawler and the loader/backhoe do two very different tasks. Both are likely good for what they will do.
south central Wisconsin

Al_Smith

Quite frankly the mini tractor/loader would probabely be a lot more handy than that toy crawler .If you get on to it you can fine grade with a loader about as good as that teeny crawler .Besides that you pick stuff up with a loader and all you can do with the crawler is push it around .

plaindriver

Quote from: grweldon on July 15, 2013, 12:05:54 PM
OK... one more question concerning the mini-crawler...

I've been looking at a used Kubota BX24 backhoe/loader.  Total weight of the tractor (not sure if it includes the BH/FEL) is right at 1500 lbs. Without considering cost/value, how does everybody feel the Kubota (3-cyl diesel) would stack up with the pulling/digging/pushing cababilities of the mid-size Struck 4800 crawler?

Personaly, me thinks you would be way better off with the Kubota tractor. I dont know their model numbers, but. . .In '85 I got a new JD small tractor, 3 cyl Diesel, maybe 25 HP or so? Had a FEL, 60" rototiller, box-blade, and PH Digger w/6" & 12" augers. Still have it. On 2nd batt and have done oil changes only. Has about 650 hrs on it. The FEL is good for around 1200 lbs. I can dump stuff into a truck or container with about 7' hi sides. Has 4-WD and thats important. Recently, I was eyeballing PTO driven backhoes for the JD but opted for a tow-behind unit as it had better specs, was ruff the same $$, but the PTO unit could be hard on the tractors sub-frame. Plus, I figured the separate unit would be easier to sell if need arises. If you get the Kubota, ascertain whether the B/H is plumbed to tractor or a PTO drive? For a sm tractor, you are better off with the Kubota brand B/H attachment and one that is plumbed rather than PTO drive.

The tractor w/roto tiller

Hefting a 30' wide oak, perhaps 12" at fat end

Loading an 11' maple maybe 15", on to stake bed truck, that is 44" hi

Hefting a 15' wht oak, perhaps 18" at fat end

Busy Beaver Lumber

GRweldon

I had a Massey 2310 TLB that was virtually identical in size, hp, and weight to the Bx24 you are asking about.

It was a very nice little tractor for a small home owner, but is pretty much useless for any type of logging chores if you plan on moving decent size logs. It was rated to lift about 800 lbs, but that had better be on close to flat land, because it got pretty squirelly fast if you raised a load high on a slanted hillside given its narrow wheel base and short wheelbase.

The backhoe was ok for trenching and pulling small stumps, but suffered from the tractor itself not having enough weight in the front. It was very easy to lift the front of the tractor in the air when getting a grip on a good size root with the backhoe. Even filling the front bucket with dirt did not help keep it down much.

Pulling and pushing, i think i would have to favor the struck dozer simply because it is a track machine and has more contact with the ground. Even in 4wd you could spin the tires pretty easily on the massey if you were digging into a dirt pile or looking to push a good size pile of snow.

Like I said, I think it is a fine unit for a home owner that wants the ability to do some digging and scooping around the house, but would not recommend it for day to day use at a sawmill

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

easymoney

there was one at a consignment auction in my town this last Saturday. it was like new. the owner no sale it. it had very low hours. looked new. the general census among the folks was that it was a toy. would be fun to play with tho. i would not want to pay anyone much per hour to try to do any serious work with it.

grweldon

I finally got some information from Struck and it isn't good.  The model 4800 is no longer available and the only model I would be interested in is the model 8000.. the biggest.  The "sale" price for the crawler is $18233.  All of the prices I'm listing are "sale" prices.  List prices are much higher.  The loader kit is $2599 with ROPS. 35HP upgrade is $549.  The backhoe kit without bucket is $6056.  Thumb kit is $813. 12" backhoe bucket kit is $283.

Configured as listed above the price before shipping is $28,532.

With that in mind, how could anybody justify buying one over much heavier-duty piece of equipment that will do nearly the same thing?  I imagine they don't sell many at those prices...

Thank You Sponsors!