iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello from North Carolina

Started by MRowsh, August 02, 2013, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRowsh

I am a retired US Army Soldier who is going to get into saw mill works very soon.  The story is, we have done a lot of research with respect to all the crap (pesticide, and herbicides) that is getting added into our produce we buy, we decided to build a nice big green house for an Aquaponics system. 
Anyway, I need to clear a piece of land in order to not only build the Green House, but also allow enough sun to come through for proper growth.  Asked few who clear land for estimate. When I saw the figures, I almost soiled myself!!  Between $350 to 450 to get them down and taken away. There are some real big pine trees, and about 30 hard wood (white oak, and red oak). Some real big, I estimate about 110 feet tall for many oaks and taller than them are about 20 pines.
Then I checked all the prices of lumber at Lowes and other places. Good God, All Mighty. The price of lumber has gone up so much, another OH CRAP MOMENT!!
I thought of taking my time and doing it the old fashioned way. So I started researching about saw mills about 4 weeks ago. Have spent a lot of time corresponding to many manufacturers, except Cook's, they never responded to my request. Oh well, it was not meant to be!
So, I have finalized my decision, and by next Monday will place my order for one fine saw mill.
So, I have to learn how to use them first.
After reading so much about cutting into different objects inside the logs, I think I need to purchase a metal detector.

So, please let me know which model and brand name has worked the best.  I do appreciate any help. As you know, it can not get more Green Horn than me at this moment.
God bless all responsible citizens!
LogMaster LM2 with Kubota V1305 Diesel conversion.
There is a price for everything in life!!!  No free lunches!
Retired US Army.

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Texas Ranger

Welcome, pull up a stump and join the conversation.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ga Mtn Man

Welcome to the forum, MRowsh!  You will find all the help you need right here on THE Forestry Forum.  So, you might as well go ahead and tell us what mill you chose...we won't stop stopping asking til you do. :)

Thank you for your service to our country! smiley_clapping
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Finn1903

Welcome to the site
Sounds like you have a nice project lined up.
Not sure where you are at in NC, but you are welcome to stop by and talk saw milling and land clearing.  I am near Durham.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

thecfarm

MRowsh,welcome to the forum. Most metal come from yard trees,not trees in the woods.I have no idea about your building codes either. Some places the lumber has to be inspected. Sheds,barns and garages are fine for us sawyers. Check that out too. Don't want to buy a mill,then find out you it's too much of a bother to get the lumber checked out. A member might be close to you. And even if you have to go a few hours,it would be worth it to ya to learn a few things. You will need a tractor,4 wheeler,truck,something to move the logs to the mill. A cant dog,peavey,to get the logs just right,Logrite,sponsor on the left,is the way to go. There's more too.  ;D  Good luck. Have you ever cut down trees ?Than there is also the best way to get the best logs from a tree too.,
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
I am just north of you in the Appalachians.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Seaman

Welcome! What part of NC? We are near Asheville. Would be happy to demo the Swing Mill for you.
I use an inexpensive Bounty Hunter from Amizon, $120 I think it was. Works GREAT. No need to spend a lot of money, do not get a wand type, no penetration. I have found nails 6 inches deep with the BH.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Nomad

Welcome.  Best metal detector?  My best ones are WoodMizers, 158" long. :D  And the newer it is, the better it works!
     In all seriousness, metal detectors can come in handy.  But the effectiveness is limited by the size of the log, the size of the metal, etc.  They don't detect all foreign objects, only the metal ones.  And are about useless once the log is placed on the mill.  I wouldn't lose any sleep about getting one.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, MRowsh.

This is the "great learning place".
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MRowsh

Thanks everyone.

I am near Smithfield NC.

I have dropped total of 92 trees so far in my life. During 1999 hurricane, I had to drop all the trees that were lynning on other ones, and I end up dropping so many others to get the job done. Some were real tough to do. I heard later on that those are called widowmaker!

How about this metal detector?
http://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunter-Sharpshooter-Metal-Detector/dp/B00005A3L3/ref=sr_1_13?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1375454141&sr=1-13&keywords=metal+detector
Retired US Army.

Planman1954

Nomad: Very funny!
MRowsh: I don't have a metal detector. I think I've hit metal maybe twice in the few years I've been sawing. It would be too much trouble and time for me to check every log. I would actually rather lose a blade every year or so and not hassle with a detector. But that's just me.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

dboyt

MRowsh, welcome to the forum.  I go along with Planman.  Over the years, I'd estimate that the time spent running a metal detector (assuming 5 min per log) verses the money lost in dulled or destroyed blades is close to $1.20 per hour-- and I do cut a fair number of urban trees.  That said, I use a hand-held Log Wizard (Harbor Freight, I think) when I see a suspicious blue stain in a log or cant.  By the way metal detectors won't keep the blade out of clamps and log stops!

Thank you for your service, and best of luck with the mill.  Which one did you decide on?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

steamsawyer

Hey MRowsh,

Welcome aboard. It sounds like you have quite a plan, it sounds like fun too.

Here is what I use...

It works ok but I rarely find hardware anyway. It has saved me a few times though.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, MRowsh. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

NCDiesel

Quote from: MRowsh on August 02, 2013, 10:12:50 AM
...snip...
So I started researching about saw mills about 4 weeks ago. Have spent a lot of time corresponding to many manufacturers, except Cook's, they never responded to my request. Oh well, it was not meant to be!
So, I have finalized my decision, and by next Monday will place my order for one fine saw mill.
...snip...

Welcome!

I am really shocked Cooks did not respond.   One of the reasons I bought from them was because they were so much more responsive and friendly than the other companies.    The other companies just gave me sales calls - Cooks called to talk about sawmills.   Seems like a minor difference but it isn't.  My site visit was especially friendly and they gave really nice thank-you gifts to the forum members who helped me in my shopping.  At any rate, good luck with whoever you choose!

As for detectors...

I only have one anecdotal story that may or may not even be relevant for searching for metal in wood.   We were locating sensors in soil buried 6-8" down.   These were small and we had trouble with one brand of detectors locating "off-target" (sensor for example might really be 1' away from point of strongest signal) and it missed sensors.  Garrett detectors never gave us any such problems.  It got to the point crew members were hiding the Garrett detectors so they would not have to use the other brand.  I finally told the boss to quite buying whatever was cheaper that week and stick with Garrett.  I don't remember the other brand now., but they were red and I think Bounty Hunter used to be red.    I must have wanted to forget that company's name  :D.

I have not used the "Ace" model line of Garrett as mine is much older (I had purchased it from that company when I left).   It still works great.  In the way of relevant anecdotes:  It is a 1996 model and as recently as a few years ago it found barbed wire in a log I was about to send to a sawmill .   The wire was ~5" below the bark at one end and ~8" below at the other. 

Hope that helps!

NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your adventure.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

samandothers

Welcome!
Originally from Va. hope to get back after retirement.

MRowsh

Placed my order, and put the deposit down.
ML2 is what I am going to have.
9 orders are ahead of me, so, it will take at least 3 months till my saw mill arrives home.
Here is the specs on the saw mill:
http://logmaster.com/PDFs/LogMaster-Pg8-9.pdf
Retired US Army.

sealark37

Welcome aboard-Since you are retired US Army, I would remind you that even though Comp C does a fine job, a good chainsaw is the preferred method of felling.  You might spend a few bucks hiring a mobile sawyer to come to you and work up a few logs, just for the experience.  Most on this forum are willing and eager to help another sawyer.  And, most can be bribed easily with food, (No C-rats).   Regards, Clark

kelLOGg

Welcome to the Forum. I'm in Durham so not too far from you either. Like NCDiesel, I'm surprised at no response from Cook???
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

sawmillhand

Welcome to the forum and a big Hello back from Mississippi
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Happycamper

Wow,  Looks like the LM2 is a quality mill and will be fun, fast, easy to work with as well as durable. The wait for it will be long but worth it I'm sure. Here you will fine answers to any questions about milling from some very knowledgeable people.
                                          Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

redbeard

Wow your going to love all those hydraulic features especially the up n down saw head. Very impressive mill. The diesel would really make that package a dream machine.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, MRowsh.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!