iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame Plans

Started by nightfury, September 29, 2013, 01:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightfury

I have never seen a copy of timber frame plans. Do the plans specify what types of joints to cut at each mortise and tenon? Do the home plans specify foundation requirements as well?

As soon as my father has time, I plan to try my hand at the mailbox. I have been absent from the forum for way to long. Thank you guys for all your wealth of knowledge.

VictorH

It probably depends on who does your plans but I would think any good set will have all of the joints specified.  I had Jim Rogers (moderator for this section of the forum) draw mine up for me.  Every joint is detailed and if I wanted I could have a blow up for each joint.  The engineer that he used also specified my foundation needs.

Jim_Rogers

Seeing things like this helps:

and:

Lots of times just understanding the layout process or layout rules helps you to visualize the joint. You need to be able to visualize what is hidden. That is helpful, and important to be able to understand what's inside the joint so you can see how it goes together.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Heartwood

The Timber Framers Guild sells Fourteen Small Timber Frames, a book that includes joinery details.

piller

If you have not already done so take a look at the Historic American Timber Joinery articles written by Jack Sobon, it's a free pdf file you can download from the tfguild dot org web site. 

I don't think I am allowed to post a link here, just do a search for "tfguild historic american timber joinery". 

Thank You Sponsors!