iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Narrow Kerf

Started by Ward Barnes, November 14, 2013, 08:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Syd

Uh oh, I just went out to the shed to try sharpening the 20NK. It looks like the top plate angle is already 25 degrees. I don't have the boxes anymore, can someone tell me if that is the recommended top plate angle.

I tried running a file on the cutter and it sharpens easily. I wonder if the underlying steel is softer and that's why the points flattened.

Andyshine77

LOL I thought it was 30 degrees too.
Andre.

barbender

I always really liked the way Oregon 95VP cut on my 346xp, however I think the bars suck >:( The sprocket tips are way too weak for me.
Too many irons in the fire

SawTroll

As far as I know, all reliable Rockwell tests show that the steel in Oregon chain is hardest, and the steel in Stihl chain softest. Carlton is inbetween, and the differences are small.
This may be a surprice to some people, but the reason it feels different likely is the thickness of the chrome - Stihl chain has the thickest chrome, with all the +/- of that.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: barbender on November 15, 2013, 10:07:48 PM
I always really liked the way Oregon 95VP cut on my 346xp, however I think the bars suck >:( The sprocket tips are way too weak for me.

If the sprocket tips are too weak, the issue likely is the way you use the saw, but the NK bar with 95VP isn't a good setup on that saw anyway. A regular .325 setup would be better, I suggest a 16" bar with 21LPX (or 25RM if you want semi chisel).
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: 7sleeper on November 15, 2013, 11:27:21 AM
Hello Terry!

Actually you are correct that Stihl doesn't make 325 NK chain but they make PS3 chain!!! PS3 is a 3/8 picco/hobby full chisel chain that is getting a continous growing fan base over here. They even have a "Tuning kit" that consists of 1x bar + 2x chain + 8 pin ring. So that might be an option for you. A lot of guys using the 261 are buying these and are very happy!

I have a loop of Stihl's PS, just haven't found time to try it out yet. Here's a couple pics comparing it to my Husky .325 NK on my 338XPT which is filed back about 2/3 now but still good comparison for the two.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

beenthere

Holmen
Do your pics show up when you click on "Preview" before you post?
Puzzling that you are having problems.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

HolmenTree

Quote from: beenthere on November 16, 2013, 10:43:31 AM
Holmen
Do your pics show up when you click on "Preview" before you post?
Puzzling that you are having problems.
The pics were clear as day in my post after I hit post, I never had to preview my posts worked fine. I did delete them out of my photo gallery a few minutes after I did my post maybe that's the problem.

Ianab

QuoteI did delete them out of my photo gallery a few minutes after I did my post maybe that's the problem.

Yes that will do it.

The tags in the post are just links to the image in the gallery. If they are gone from there, you get the dreaded blank box.

Easy enough to fix. Upload them to the gallery again, and go back and edit the post to point to the new version.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HolmenTree

Quote from: Ianab on November 16, 2013, 01:14:31 PM
QuoteI did delete them out of my photo gallery a few minutes after I did my post maybe that's the problem.

Yes that will do it.

The tags in the post are just links to the image in the gallery. If they are gone from there, you get the dreaded blank box.

Easy enough to fix. Upload them to the gallery again, and go back and edit the post to point to the new version.

Ian
Thanks Ian, I got it all straightened out now and everyone can see my 2 photos of my Husqvarna NK .325 chain compared to a loop of Stihl Picco chisel chain back 4 posts in post 30.

Terry Syd

Nice looking chain, I can see why it is becoming popular. Thanks for posting the pictures.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 16, 2013, 07:46:34 AM
I have a loop of Stihl's PS3, just haven't found time to try it out yet.  ..... 

Looks like it is a PS to me, and not a PS3?  ???
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on November 17, 2013, 09:08:29 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on November 16, 2013, 07:46:34 AM
I have a loop of Stihl's PS3, just haven't found time to try it out yet.  ..... 

Looks like it is a PS to me, and not a PS3?  ???
You got me Niko :D Yes it's PS, I had that loop for about 3 months now and still haven't found the time to switch the 338 back over to 3/8 LoPro to try it out 

Thank You Sponsors!