iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EPA going after Wood Burning Stoves and manufactures NEW RULE Jan 3rd 2014

Started by SPIKER, January 12, 2014, 05:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIKER

NOTICE: as of January 3rd 2014!  EVERYONE please READ and RE-POST to your FB friends or other Forums you visit we (USA Citizens need to respond to this!) >:( >:( >:( >:(

There are actually Federal EPA rules (in the EPA for comments NOW) regarding ALL WOOD BURNING stoves of ANY TYPE.   The are limiting the amount of ash, soot and any type of byproducts/non-combustible materials that would go into effect in next year or so.   These rules would force EVERY wood stove, wood boiler or Wood Stove MANUFACTURE of such device manufacture to prove their stoves meet these new standards.   It would force dozens or perhaps Hundreds of small wood stove manufactures out of business (I believe it is why they are doing it as much of it is backed by big oil) ::)

http://www2.epa.gov/residential-wood-heaters/regulatory-actions-residential-wood-heaters#tab-2

I suggest everyone email the EPA on these over stepping bounds that would basically force every stove to have some sort of catalytic system that would have to be maintained & only last so long.  LINK BELOW >:( >:( >:(

a-and-r-Docket@epa.gov

Other methods of telling them off here.

http://www2.epa.gov/residential-wood-heaters/how-comment-proposed-new-source-performance-standards-residential-wood

here are some of these new rules that will kill jobs, force people to burn OIL, GAS and PROPANE that dumps millions of tons MORE carbon into the atmosphere.

http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/ordinances.html

and here

http://www2.epa.gov/residential-wood-heaters

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WH_Conley

I can imagine a lot of home made stoves going in houses. The bad thing is that not all of the builder's will have the skill to build a safe stove.
Bill

goose63

Just tried to leave a comment that might be a good thing I was not gona be very nice  smiley_furious3 boxingsmiley
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

doctorb

I read through the proposed new regulations.  The regulations are for new stoves manufactured after 1/2014, or the date that this legislation is finally passed.  Existing units are unaffected.

What they have done is state that new stoves must have controlled emmision to the current voluntary Phase II level.  Stoves built that pollute more than that will be illegal to be sold, period.  Then, over a stepwise 5 year period, the manufacture of stove will have continued improvement on their particulate matter emissions to a level that far surpasses even the current Phase II requirements.  So this is a broad line in the sand for manufacturers and not current OWB users.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Thehardway

Is this going to create a mad rush and inflated prices on current stove inventories?  I remember when Tier III regs. on diesel engines came out there was a rush on generators with the old engines.  Some ended up paying more for the old stock to avoid the waiting list.

Let me guess, this is called job creation as there will be a new EPA department formed to do stove inspections? This is the next Dept. of Agriculture, there will be 3 EPA stove inspector people hired for every actual stove in existence. One to inspect and test as it leaves the factory, one to roam around rural areas to ensure compliance and one to handle the press when they raid the Amish communities and remove all the non compliant cook stoves belching innocuous amounts of carbon into the air  that our precious politicians fly through on private jets fueled by tax payer money.

Sorry for the rant.  This is nuts.  I guess the global warming caused by wood burners carbon emissions will eliminate the need for so many of them, its all these record warm winters that are forcing them to tighten regulations.  LOL
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Peter Drouin

So burning wood is bad. Do you think the EPA thinks GOD was wrong when he made fire  ::) :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

jchase

This is so dumb if you do good forest management and try to burn only dead or dying trees it's carbon neutral. If you just cut down everything in site it's still better than oil, propane, electric cause at least it was taking carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere. I wish people with common sense had enough money to get their way in the government!
Cutting firewood with Husky 562, John Deere 1530 diesel with a Norse 450 winch

Logging logginglogging

If they pull this stuff..Ill just build my next stove my self, as inefficient as I want. and if they truly force me to build my own, ill burn many a tire in it as well!!!

thechknhwk

Welcome to the corporateocracy (or however that's spelled).  It's probably a revolving door between big oil and the EPA like it is between the FDA and big Ag.

enigmaT120

Quote from: jchase on January 14, 2014, 01:51:51 PM
This is so dumb if you do good forest management and try to burn only dead or dying trees it's carbon neutral. If you just cut down everything in site it's still better than oil, propane, electric cause at least it was taking carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere. I wish people with common sense had enough money to get their way in the government!

Wood heat is carbon neutral, that's not what the EPA is focusing on.  It does make more smoke in the air than natural gas does.  I don't know about coal.  People here in Oregon's Willamette Valley are always complaining about the air quality in the winter, and it does get pretty bad.  Wood stoves get blamed.  My stove is an old catalytic model, works fine but yeah I have to spend over a hundred bucks every several years to replace the element.  Besides, I live up in the hills and my air is fine....
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

martyinmi

There are quite a few of ya'll who won't care for this post, but it needs to be said. :(
The really sad part of all of this regulation is the FACT that almost all of it is avoidable.
When I drive through the countryside in my neck of the woods and see OWB's/woodstoves belching a grey/blue plume of smoke that ascends 50' in the air and travels a half mile or more, it makes it emphatically clear why the EPA is being forced to do what they are doing.
There is a family in our neighborhood who positively refuse to burn wood that is seasoned. They live in a small valley and have an indoor unit smokes almost non-stop. They are fortunate that their closest neighbor that is in line with the prevailing winds is a half mile away. However, if the wind changes direction and comes from the North East, there are a few of us that get smoked out. It's not so bad for me because I'm about 3/8's of a mile from them. One other neighbor kitty corner-across the road from them gets smoked out badly sometimes. He hasn't complained to the offender yet, but I've heard it from him a few times, and it is justified.
I think the number of irresponsible OWB/woodstove users is a lot higher than any of on this site care to admit. Some maintain that it is just a small handfull. I'll wager that the number is around 5%...or maybe even more.  Although I positively hate unfounded intrusion on what I feel are some of my basic rights by any government agency, I think in this case some of the proposed rules might be necessary IF folks can't clean up their acts.
Seasoned wood and a few partial loadings per day(as opposed to stuffing it full once/day), as well as not burning trash, plastic and rubber products, etc, would have went a long way in preventing the government's actions.

Just my opinion guys. Don't beat up on a fellow OWB user too badly! :)
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

thecfarm

martyinmi,you are right. But that goes with any wood burning device too. I've seen some smoke coming out of people's home that if that was a OWB the neighbors would have a fit.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

martyinmi

Quote from: thecfarm on January 15, 2014, 05:42:06 PM
martyinmi,you are right. But that goes with any wood burning device too. I've seen some smoke coming out of people's home that if that was a OWB the neighbors would have a fit.
The family that smokes up our neighborhood has an indoor unit. I am to his East and most of the time my neighbors don't even know my gasser is running. To his(the offender's) South is another neighbor with a conventional unit (OWB) that we never see smoking. His wood is always seasoned.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

doctorb

Martyinmi-

You are a low-down, pot-stirrin", trouble-maker.  You are also correct. ;D

I was trying to be gentle with my earlier post, but I agree that we need a large mirror to see the solution to this problem..
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SLawyer Dave

I have not looked at the new proposed legislation, but there has historically been an upside for wood stoves to be EPA certified, (though it has been before now voluntary), in that they are then exempt from local and state regulation.  Here in the County where I live, due to the Quality Air Board, we have burn and no burn days depending on air quality.   However, if you have an EPA certified stove, then they can not impose those regs on you.  We even had proposals to outlaw new installations, again, this can't be enforced if it is an EPA approved stove.  So you have to take the good with the bad.

timberlinetree

George Washington cut down a tree and could not lie/Bill Clinton told a lie to every American on tv. You can't trust the government and we are not all that free! VERY SAD :'(
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

coxy

if they would lower the oil price to about 1to 1.50 they wouldn't have to worry about the stoves smoking  I would be the first one to scrap my owb I hate cutting wood its a pain in the  jmop

SwampDonkey

I saw tonight on the Maine news out of Presque Isle, that the EPA is offering a trade in program for those upgrading to the newer approved stoves. So that might be useful for someone ready to get a new stove. Maybe not to replace a good working stove they are satisfied with, but one they have been meaning to replace anyway. I'm sure it must be the same deal for other states.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Quote from: timberlinetree on January 18, 2014, 06:33:54 AM
George Washington cut down a tree and could not lie/Bill Clinton told a lie to every American on tv. You can't trust the government and we are not all that free! VERY SAD :'(
Now you have to admit slick Willy put on an amusing show for 8 years .Look at good ole Al Gore .Didn't make the presidency but won the Nobel prize .Only in America .Lest we not forget how an intern got turned into a household name .I'm waiting for the movie .

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: SPIKER on January 12, 2014, 05:14:38 PM
NOTICE: as of January 3rd 2014!  EVERYONE please READ and RE-POST to your FB friends or other Forums you visit we (USA Citizens need to respond to this!) >:( >:( >:( >:(

There are actually Federal EPA rules (in the EPA for comments NOW) regarding ALL WOOD BURNING stoves of ANY TYPE.   The are limiting the amount of ash, soot and any type of byproducts/non-combustible materials that would go into effect in next year or so.   These rules would force EVERY wood stove, wood boiler or Wood Stove MANUFACTURE of such device manufacture to prove their stoves meet these new standards.   It would force dozens or perhaps Hundreds of small wood stove manufactures out of business (I believe it is why they are doing it as much of it is backed by big oil) ::)

http://www2.epa.gov/residential-wood-heaters/regulatory-actions-residential-wood-heaters#tab-2

I suggest everyone email the EPA on these over stepping bounds that would basically force every stove to have some sort of catalytic system that would have to be maintained & only last so long.  LINK BELOW >:( >:( >:(

a-and-r-Docket@epa.gov

Other methods of telling them off here.

http://www2.epa.gov/residential-wood-heaters/how-comment-proposed-new-source-performance-standards-residential-wood

here are some of these new rules that will kill jobs, force people to burn OIL, GAS and PROPANE that dumps millions of tons MORE carbon into the atmosphere.

http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/ordinances.html

and here

http://www2.epa.gov/residential-wood-heaters

Mark M

If they pull this on people, when its time for me to get a new stove Ill build my own and ill burn more tires than wood!!!

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ET

I broke down 4 years ago and replaced my big old (1970) model Glacier Bay wood stove with a thermotatic controlled EPA catalyst stove. I was tired and often worried about it overheating, or not being hot enough thereby creating creasote. I had to load it often 4 times a day just to keep up. It was the biggest they made. With My new stove, i only have to load it once every day and a half, set the thermostat, set back and watch water vapor come out my chimney. Keeps my house above 70 and burns 1/2 less than my old GB. Yes it was pricey but in last five years it saved me more in propane and wood than my GB ever did. Plus saves my back loading it too. I have not touched my catalyst in 5 years and it is supossed to work for 10 if not overheated/abused. Cost to replace I think is around 200 bucks, not all that bad.

With my old GB I had to clean out the creasote 2 to 3 times per season to keep the chimney open. With the new stove I now only have to clean it once a year and its really not dirty at all. That really is a nice feature. Cleaning out dirty chimneys 3 times a year for 35 years was enough.

By the way, my old GB lives on in my workshop, it replaced a 55 gal barrell stove.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Thank You Sponsors!