iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EPA going after Wood Burning Stoves and manufactures NEW RULE Jan 3rd 2014

Started by SPIKER, January 12, 2014, 05:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

36 coupe

Quote from: Thehardway on January 14, 2014, 12:01:01 PM
Is this going to create a mad rush and inflated prices on current stove inventories?  I remember when Tier III regs. on diesel engines came out there was a rush on generators with the old engines.  Some ended up paying more for the old stock to avoid the waiting list.

Let me guess, this is called job creation as there will be a new EPA department formed to do stove inspections? This is the next Dept. of Agriculture, there will be 3 EPA stove inspector people hired for every actual stove in existence. One to inspect and test as it leaves the factory, one to roam around rural areas to ensure compliance and one to handle the press when they raid the Amish communities and remove all the non compliant cook stoves belching innocuous amounts of carbon into the air  that our precious politicians fly through on private jets fueled by tax payer money.

Sorry for the rant.  This is nuts.  I guess the global warming caused by wood burners carbon emissions will eliminate the need for so many of them, its all these record warm winters that are forcing them to tighten regulations.  LOL
An EPA inspector roaming around this rural area wouldnt last long.I cant afford more fuel oil at 3.89 a gallon.A 100 gallon minimum order will cost 400 bucks soon.Im 76 and can still cut wood and would not be easy to force to stop burning wood.If it gets that bad there will be a bad revolt.Its time government left us alone.

Al_Smith

I doubt seriously if they send the wood stove police roaming hither and yon looking for a smoke belcher .Just like I doubt the chainsaw police will ticket anyone for a gutted muffler .Makes for a good subject of debate though if nothing else. ;D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 11, 2014, 08:31:29 PM
I doubt seriously  .Just like I doubt the chainsaw police will ticket anyone for a gutted muffler

Depends on where your working. If it's on the back of the woodlot or in your yard no. But if your working up here on crown land, it won't be the regulators it will be the forest company managing the license and you'll only get one warning. And your saw gets a nice yellow tag until it's inspected for approval. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DeepCreek

Quote from: 36 coupe on March 11, 2014, 07:31:25 PM

An EPA inspector roaming around this rural area wouldnt last long.I cant afford more fuel oil at 3.89 a gallon.A 100 gallon minimum order will cost 400 bucks soon.Im 76 and can still cut wood and would not be easy to force to stop burning wood.If it gets that bad there will be a bad revolt.Its time government left us alone.

That's funny.

I was at a beekeeper's meeting last night in a rural community. One of the things under discussion was the refusal of the EPA to not only ban the use of neonicitinoid insecticides as seed coatings, but to not even require the manufacturers to do proper testing. Neonicitinoids are strongly suspected as being a primary cause of Colony Collapse Disorder. Beekeepers are currently losing 30 to 40 % of their colonies per annum. We are in danger of losing virtually all of our honeybees. The rate of loss is not sustainable.

Without honeybees, crop yields will plummet as they are one of our primary pollinators. When those yields fall, food prices will surely rise significantly. And yet, the EPA is doing virtually nothing. 

It all depends on whose ox is being gored on whether the EPA is friend or foe.

SwampDonkey

The same thing affecting honeybees has been affecting the wild pollinators like months, butterflies, wasps, bumblebees. If all was well, there would be no real need for honeybees. I've picked pales of wild blueberries on old burnt land, 20 men with buckets couldn't even pick them all. And they were pollinated by wild pollinators. Now a days I see lots of wild raspberry patches with no berries at all and we used to pick pales of them to. You would be a long time around here picking wild raspberries. Acres and acres of bushes, no berries.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DeepCreek

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 12, 2014, 09:08:58 AM
The same thing affecting honeybees has been affecting the wild pollinators like months, butterflies, wasps, bumblebees.

Yes, it has but not to the same degree, AFAIK.

QuoteIf all was well, there would be no real need for honeybees.

That's only true in remote areas. In intensive farming areas, the aren't enough wild pollinators because the vegetative diversity they need just isn't there. That's why large farms and orchards rent honeybees. The wild pollinators just can't get the job done.

Tom L

MANUFACTURE of such device manufacture to prove their stoves meet these new standards.   It would force dozens or perhaps Hundreds of small wood stove manufactures out of business (I believe it is why they are doing it as much of it is backed by big oil) ::)

I would bet that the testing the manufacturers will have to go thru to get approval from the EPA will put most out of business. the continued red tape only adds to manufacturing costs , and is enough in a lot of cases to put people out of work. this unfortunately opens the door to foreign producers who have an advantage with low overhead to produce stoves that can be approved in the USA.
taking jobs from american workers because of red tape and regulations, I think that is the motto of the EPA

I wonder which politician has a corner on the testing

SwampDonkey

That is what is part of 'if all was well'. ;) Essentially there is no going back. Just have to recognize that and carry on I guess. Eventually there will be other colony collapse of the human kind because continual growth is not sustainable.

Thank You Sponsors!