iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Biggest log, Board or other object cut on mill

Started by LittleJohn, January 22, 2014, 09:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Part_timer
You are correct.. and that is Chris.  ;D  thanks for the correction.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scsmith42

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 23, 2014, 11:43:33 AM
Scott, I always like seeing those sticks. To make timbers like that out of oak is amazing. I'd have a giant pair of rockers if I tried it. :D

<grin>

They were really pretty; one of them was FAS for about 39' of log.

I sure like that shot of your mill with the 47 footer on it!  One of these day's I'd like to max out my Peterson (58').  Finding the log will be challenging though.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

OlJarhead

This Ponderosa Pine was 16'6" long and 24" at the base.  I figure it weighed over 1200 lbs and we winched it onto the mill.

Notice the mill is just an LT10 on a trailer ;)

I've done about a half dozen or more 16+ footers but this one I did with the 7hp motor!  Since switching to the 10hp motor things have gone much better ;)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Chuck White

You are giving Wood-Mizer a good name with that little LT-10.

Keep up the good work!

I admire your drive.  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

You are proving that it can be done, and quite well I might add.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Thanks Guys :)  This little mill can really churn out the lumber when a good crew is running it ;)  Sure it aint no big LT40 type production though!  But I've cranked out over 200bf/hr at times and I think with the tractor I can beat that...but the saw never shuts down, the blade stays in the wood and the sawdust keeps flying!

Truth tell though, when running it alone I'm happy to get 300 bf in a day! lol

Left Coast Chris

This was a 48" Diameter Silver Maple.  Even though I modeled the mill after a LT30 manual mill we made the vertical capacity of the head travel about 8" more than standard.  It really helped while sawing this half of the log.

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

backwoods sawyer

We were milling up these big Maple today and having an extra 8" of travel on the mast would help whittle these logs down.

these ugly logs make some nice figured wood.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

MotorSeven

Nothing as spectacular as some of the posts above, but it was a big deal for me to mill out my 5x10x26' Hemlock rafters. The biggest log was 27' long and 

We could not turn it even with three cant hooks(they really were "can't" hooks that day), so I used the tractor forks and did the chain wrap trick....worked pefect.

I made 22 of those rafters which are above my head as I type.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

5X10X26' hemlock. I doubt one of you was taking them things off the mill alone.
I never saw that long,but did have to use the chain wrap a few times too. I work alone and I might be able to flip the log after my first cut,but sometimes the log is so big I can't let go of the peavey and dog it in. I use the tractor with a chain wrap to roll it just where I want it.After a few times I can get it just about perfect without getting on and off the tractor 3-4 times.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MotorSeven

No, we rolled them onto the forks, then tractored them out to stack 'em. Then actually broke a 20' trailer getting them up to the house(a wee bit overloaded) and finally a crane was used to hang them(best $75 and hour I ever spent ;D).

Here is what they look like now:

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Dodgy Loner

I don't have a picture of the log, but the biggest I've sawed was rather pedestrian compared to most of these: It was water oak, 10' long, 38" in diameter on the small end. I milled it into lumber, and Red Clay Hound turned it into a mantle, cabinets, and paneling for his living room. He has since finished the project, but this is the only picture I have:

In November 2012, Red Clay Hound and I felled and milled a 49" willow oak, but we had to cut 6' off the butt to get something we could handle on the LT40. The saw log ended up being almost identical in size to the water oak from whence the paneling came. That lumber is still drying.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dave Shepard

I noticed some people qualifying their entries compared to some of the big ones on here. That 27' on an LT15 is just as impressive to me as the 47' that I did with a Super Hydraulic and a payloader that can lift 25,000 pounds. ;) I like seeing the logs people will tackle, even though they are above what the machine is rated for.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Quote from: MotorSeven on January 27, 2014, 09:04:11 AMNothing as spectacular as some......
Oh yes, that is spectacular, especially to you and the fact that you did it.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 27, 2014, 10:28:14 AM
I noticed some people qualifying their entries compared to some of the big ones on here. That 27' on an LT15 is just as impressive to me as the 47' that I did with a Super Hydraulic and a payloader that can lift 25,000 pounds. ;) I like seeing the logs people will tackle, even though they are above what the machine is rated for.

LOL I agree!  After all, milling a 24"x 16 footer with a 7 hp motor on a 24" machine  and having to chainsaw whittle the log a bit is at least to me, a challenge! ;)  Specially when you  have to winch and roll the log up onto the mill since it's up on a trailer! lol

But I am pretty amazed at some of those monsters out there!

weisyboy

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

logboy

I did a 16' long American Elm for a customer that was about 60" on the butt and forked out to about 90" wide. It weighed in at 17,000 lbs. It took a bit of trimming to make it fit through the Lucas. I'm glad I brought a ladder.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,68296.msg1023843.html#msg1023843

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

thecfarm

That's a big log when you need to bring a step ladder.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ken

I don't have a sawmill (maybe someday) but I thoroughly enjoy the pictures showing the work of members.  Taking a log and turning it into material that you use is a real talent.  Keep them coming popcorn_smiley
Lots of toys for working in the bush

MotorSeven

I guess the theme here is that you can cut as long a log as you have track.........but the real fun starts when you load/turn/off load ;D

There is just something magnificent about a beam cut from one log that is over 40' long.....gives me chill bumps just looking at those pictures.....wow!

...and a 17,ooo lb log...double wow!
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Thank You Sponsors!