iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First post of a newbie sawyer

Started by johnnyllama, May 03, 2014, 03:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyllama

After following this forum for a while, finally decided to get registered and join in the fun! I've been a woodworker since about 12 years old (now pushing close to 60) and spent most of that time doing it for a jobas both a custom builder and a cabinetmaker. I hired my first portable mill operator close to twnty years ago and have paid someone else to cut every 2-3 years until now.I've been around both the wood and some mills to learn a bit and finally had the chance to partner with a good friend and set up a mill here at the shop. He paid the money, I run the mill, and he get's some lumber and some cabinets.
  We found a used Turner Mill with low hrs. (under 300) in great shape with a 20' x 30" log cap., trailer mounted, 24 hp Honda motor, hyd. log loaders. Already have a tractor with loader/forks but nice option if we go portable. So far, it works great. Yesterday I sliced some 1/8" poplar veneer 10" wide (just to see how even it cut) and it was just about perfect. I have only cut poplar, aspen and hard maple to date as the weather has been pretty bad but so far, the rubber tired wheels of the Turner have performed great with no lubrication at blade required.
  Here's a couple photos of some of our woodwork samples from recent logs. They were sawn on a friends WM before this new mill arrived but the wood came from our farm. That is, if I can figure out how to post photos here. If you don't see it, I'll try again.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

johnnyllama

Well, maybe I need some advice to get a photo on here. I think I posted 2 into a gallery but not sure how to proceed. Any suggestions?

Thank You.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

thecfarm

They're in you gallery,they look nice. Welcome to the forum.This will do it,

I like to go to whatever post or start a new topic first to include a picture.Go to your gallery,it will open in a new window.Click onto your album,then click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In Post,click onto that,click Yes and that is it. Some have to copy/paste the link to work.I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from what I am typing. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture. Somewheres I think it says to add 10,000 to your user number or something like that to make a clickable icon to your gallery under your user name. Use the preview button to see how it looks and modify it if needed
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

johnnyllama

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try again.

Magicman

Nice work johnnyllama, and Welcome to the forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

Welcome to the forum johnnyllama.  That's beautiful work on the clock.  Just to get a sense of scale, how tall is it?  And maybe a few details on your choice of wood.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Johnnyllama!

Do you know Forestry Forum member "petefrombearswamp"?

He's also in the eastern Finger Lakes area!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Andy White

johnnyllama,
Welcome to the forum, and sharing your talent with all of us here. That is a fine looking project. Keep up the good work and the pictures too.     Stay safe.        Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Delawhere Jack

Welcome to the forum Johnny. That is a fine piece of art, I can't stop looking at it.

Hale87

2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

brianb88

Measure twice, cut once

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

goose63

Welcome to the forum that is a good looking clock at first I thought there was a plant beside it
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

manoverboard

TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

kczbest

Welcome to the Forestry Forum johnnyllama!
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

johnnyllama

Thanks to all. I'm not far from Bear swamp, just over a few hills near Tully, NY. The clock is 7' tall, with soft maple for the main wood. I wanted to use a somewhat bland wood so the ink work would stand out well. The crown and skirt are cherry and the corner inlays are walnut.

drobertson

Logs to lumber!  8) very nice clock!  thanks for getting in, look forward to more inspirational work, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!