The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Useful sawmill mods  (Read 341182 times)

Offline lazyflee

• Full Member x2
  • \m/
    • Share Post
Re: Useful sawmill mods
« Reply #1620 on: March 31, 2021, 11:16:17 AM »

Great ideas on this thread. Got sick of trying to get a wood block level and in the right place for the scissor jack. Welded up a bar and put some flanges on the jack. Slides to wherever I need it. Kubota blue(had no orange) but at least it matches the jack. Cordless impact driver works great. 

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: South eastern alps, in France but right on the italian border.
  • Living in Absurdistan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1621 on: April 02, 2021, 03:40:37 PM »
Guys, i found the swing arm for the winch, and the height control portal to be quite clever. 

In french thought. 

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Offline Brob1969

• New Sawyer
    • Share Post
« Reply #1622 on: April 03, 2021, 09:34:42 AM »
Boy that French guy moves quick! :D
1990 Woodmizer LT40, 18 HP Briggs Twin II
1980 Ford 555 backhoe
1996 John Deere 4475 Skid-Steer

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #1623 on: April 20, 2021, 04:58:45 PM »
I recently added a horn/buzzer to my tractor so that I could get the attention of someone on the ground and this got me to thinking, what about the sawmill?  Often there are times when I need to get the attention of my tailgunner and my only option was to yell which was/is not very professional.  So what about a horn on the sawmill?

This $25 kit contained everything necessary to add the horn.

The horn is mounted below the control box.

And the horn button is mounted in the board dragback switch position.  I removed all of the board dragback before I completed my first year of sawing and I will not reinstall it so the position was available.

Can you hear me now??  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1624 on: April 20, 2021, 05:48:33 PM »
 @lazyflee where did you put that?  Starting end of the mill.  That could be a time save, especially when I'm working by myself trying to level a log.  I'm always using a lever to raise the log.  My arms aren't long enough to push down on a long lever and place a shim at the same time.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #1625 on: April 20, 2021, 07:27:55 PM »
I would put it on both ends of the mill. Use automotive scissor jacks they are all over the place in junk cars everytime we would cut a car apart during drills I would scavenge the scissor jacks out of them. They are very handy when you need to hold something in place and you only have 3 hands :)

Offline lazyflee

• Full Member x2
  • \m/
    • Share Post
« Reply #1626 on: April 20, 2021, 08:07:41 PM »

@firefighter ontheside I put it up front. Bought a cheap scissor jack from napa, think it was like $25. Used thick steel square tubing and get no flex. Use it a lot. First jack I had was a through pin handle, this one has a bolt type head so a socket fits right on it, first one I had to weld a head on.

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #1627 on: May 09, 2021, 06:17:15 PM »
A couple of mods that may come in handy.  Recently, I made  something that should enable us to saw a few inches wider.  I could have used this yesterday on the cedar.  It is 1" square tube that fits over the stop on the mill and on the bunks that will let you cheat the cant a couple of inches towards the drive side of the mill.

Also, There is another jig that allows for cutting cookies out of short logs or cutting short boards out of firewood sized logs.

Offline trimguy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1628 on: May 09, 2021, 07:42:16 PM »
@caveman I like that. You need to be able to move it over to take full advantage of your cut width. I need to make me a couple of them. Thanks for the pictures.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #1629 on: May 09, 2021, 07:55:32 PM »
It is 1" square tube that fits over the stop on the mill and on the bunks that will let you cheat the cant a couple of inches towards the drive side of the mill.
Most excellent!  I generally use a couple of 2X4's etc. but the cant is not secure.  I like that.....a lot.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #1630 on: May 09, 2021, 08:44:21 PM »
Yes, thatís perfect very useful to get the most out of your sawmill.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1631 on: May 09, 2021, 08:52:29 PM »
but the cant is not secure.
I made these a few months ago but never checked to see if they would fit over the bunk stops.  They were close but did not sit down flat on the bunks.  They would have been handy yesterday when we were sawing big cedar but today I cut the holes a little bigger and now they fit.  Also, I should post in "Did something Dumb today".  I never put on shoes today as I was planning to kind of take it easy.  Well, I was using a grinder with a cutoff wheel to make the doodads that go on the bunks fit a little better and evidently discharged a 1"x 1/8" piece of molten steel on the floor.  I promptly stepped on it with my left foot.  It does smart a bit but I'll suck it up and walk it off.
Caveman

Offline 47sawdust

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1632 on: July 16, 2021, 12:59:38 PM »
My LT30 has a manual log clamp.At 74 that thing is starting to get heavy.Today I fabbed a stubby clamp that is 1/2 the weight of the factory clamp.
For $34.00 in parts and my welding,cutting and grinding time I think it will do the job,at least on most of what I saw.

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1633 on: August 25, 2021, 01:24:34 PM »
This is not a high tech mod but it will hopefully save me from picking my tape measure or chalk up off the ground a few times during the course of the day.  I glued a couple of strong magnets to a box which rides on top of the controls.

Offline danxtro

• Member*
    • Share Post
« Reply #1634 on: September 09, 2021, 04:41:15 PM »
I recently added a horn/buzzer to my tractor so that I could get the attention of someone on the ground and this got me to thinking, what about the sawmill?  Often there are times when I need to get the attention of my tailgunner and my only option was to yell which was/is not very professional.  So what about a horn on the sawmill?

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

This $25 kit contained everything necessary to add the horn.

The horn is mounted below the control box.

And the horn button is mounted in the board dragback switch position.  I removed all of the board dragback before I completed my first year of sawing and I will not reinstall it so the position was available.

Can you hear me now??  ;D
Nice! Magicman. I did the same on my sawmill. Very usefull. No more yelling to get attention.

Offline fluidpowerpro

• Hi there!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1635 on: September 09, 2021, 05:53:05 PM »
Depending on log and height of the head, the key switch on my mill isnt always easy to get to so for that reason last week I added E-Stop switches to each corner post of the frame. I have not needed to use them yet, but I know there will be instances where I will.  

I also added an hour meter at the same time....
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full falls off the top shelf and hits the top of your head!

Offline VT-Woodchuck

• Share Post
Toe board?
« Reply #1636 on: September 19, 2021, 05:52:01 PM »
Not an original idea, but works for me. Itís moveable, adjustable and is powered by a cordless drill. Makes leveling a log much easier than prying and trying to push the wedge under the log! Also, upgraded the clamps. Good move!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
My 12 sawmill mods

Started by arky217 on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2020, 10:39:50 AM
by arky217
xx
sawmill mods

Started by doug olsen on Sawmills and Milling

18 Replies
Last post April 04, 2016, 04:25:41 PM
by WDH