iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 61

Started by Nate379, November 27, 2014, 06:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate379

Decent saw?

I found one in the parts pile at the shop.  Looks almost brand new, complete other than a muffler, but needs a new piston at least, probably a new cylinder.

I think was a new saw that got straight gassed (happens pretty often).

I'm not too up to speed on non Stihls.  I wanted to build a 440 or 460 but I wasn't able to find a parts saw complete enough (or several to make a complete one) so I'd have to buy alot of the small stuff that adds up real quick.

sablatnic

Decent saw! Absolutely!!
And if you can find a 162 - 266 - 268 - etc. with a good cylinder, you can use that as well.

Pa woodchuck

i have a grey top 61. Its a decent saw imo. It is deffinitly not in the 460 class though.

weimedog

A great chassis to build and they can be made to run as strong as most modern 65-70cc's saws.

Basically those 61's can be built into a 272xp with a little ingenuity. AND those 272's respond well to some simple hop up techniques... The no base gasket build being one. For the more sophisticated, Transfer port mods can make them almost a match of the modern 70cc saws... Have one that proves that point.

The kind of things to look for is if it's a "two" coil or later one coil ignition system setup. It doesn't matter from either a functionally or performance perspective, but there are slight changes to the cases that need to be understood when getting plastic for those saws and other minor parts. There are parts available for either ignition style, all three of the coils are still available from a variety of sources...

Bottom line... that's a great saw to either turn into a functional work saw OR delve into the world of "CAD"... they are addicting and easy to work on and build... AND collect. 162-61-266-268-272-625-630-670 etc.......
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Nate379

It will be a gift for my sisters husband.  He has been cutting their firewood with a dumpster picked Pooland Wild Thang.

sawguy21

He will be moving from a Yugo to a Pontiac. :D The 61 was one fine farm/ranch/weekend warrior saw, I would like to find a clean one.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

chet

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 27, 2014, 10:50:52 PM
He will be moving from a Yugo to a Pontiac. :D

A '68 GTO with a 400 CI and a Hearst 4 speed tranny to be exact  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

HolmenTree

I loved those Pontiacs  too.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Nate379

This one looks brand new aside from the piston being beat up.  Has compression still though.

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 27, 2014, 10:50:52 PM
He will be moving from a Yugo to a Pontiac. :D The 61 was one fine farm/ranch/weekend warrior saw, I would like to find a clean one.

Cedar Savage

Hopefully a little muriatic acid will clean up the cylinder, & you can just pop a new piston in it.
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

Nate379

Cylinder is hosed along with the piston.  I have a new set on order, was about $60 so no too bad.
Probably have a new cylinder at the shop but $60 was cheaper than spending a day or more digging though all the cylinders  :D

Brandon1986

That is a great saw! Pops and I were just talking 2 days ago about finding Fischer Bros. first 61 and restoring it for nostalgia sake.  I'd like to see that when its all done and running.

dennyb

Quote from: Nate379 on November 27, 2014, 06:58:03 AM
Decent saw?

I found one in the parts pile at the shop.  Looks almost brand new, complete other than a muffler, but needs a new piston at least, probably a new cylinder.

I think was a new saw that got straight gassed (happens pretty often).

I'm not too up to speed on non Stihls.  I wanted to build a 440 or 460 but I wasn't able to find a parts saw complete enough (or several to make a complete one) so I'd have to buy alot of the small stuff that adds up real quick.

They were a good saw. But if you were going to carry the same weight the 162 or 266 was way better for professional use. I used 61's spacing before and we used them for training. They were very durable

Thank You Sponsors!