iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some people and their $

Started by yarnammurt, February 02, 2015, 10:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yarnammurt

I had a guy call today about doing some slab work for him and his friend. Very well to do guys, Said he had a bunch of Red Oak 250-300 yo he wants cut. He asked what I charged to slab/mill. I told him It was $60hr for the slab work and $.40 to mill the Oak. He asked how far I would travel and I told him if He had the $ and work I would drive. I told the guy I needed 8hr min slab work and a $150 sit up charge. He said that would not be a problem. He asked if I could stay a day or two. I asked how much work he thought he had, He said that between him and his friend probably a weeks worth :o of just slab work. They have 40+ trees to cut, They are between Little Rock and Memphis. Said he is on a old cotton plantation, 600acers and his friend 1200acers.
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

ScottAR

Sounds like they have work to do...  Keep a smile on your face and you can make some of their money yours.  ;)

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

fishfighter

That old of trees, I'm sure there will be metal. Also, they will be very big. Will they fit on your mill? They have something to drag logs to you and help load they?

drobertson

Sounds like a good one to me,, you will be fighting metal for certain, I reckon it has to be expected with slab work,  I look forward to seeing some pics of these.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

landscraper

People with money who want to spend it are what makes the world go around for contractors (my day job).  If I was a mobile sawyer I would gladly take a job like that!  Give him his money's worth and I bet it leads to more work from him or his acquaintances.

Word of mouth is a key that will unlock some very valuable doors.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

sealark37

Do your best for him and gladly accept any hospitality he and his friend offer.  I have found some of my best friends after hiring them or working for them.  All rich people do not view the working world with disdain.  Make your communications with the customer friendly and clear.  He may turn out to be a pal worth keeping.  Regards, Clark

terrifictimbersllc

Your charging seems very fair to me, if you productively cut many slabs, seems like you'll be earning your $ not making a killing.  Going home with dull chains, time away from the family,  and many miles on the truck.  They may just like wood more than money.  Make sure you do your best job.  i've found if I have a bad cut or time wasted (according to my expectations) that giving something in return like a bit of time not charged or a discount for something falling short, goes a long ways.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Seaman

Do you have some sort of gig to sharpen chains on the job ?
Also make sure they have a piece of equipment big enough to move the logs and slabs, and that it will be working for you while there. It goes so much faster when all you have to do is saw!

Sounds like a great job, I would do my best to make it happen. Wish it were a little closer, I would come help one day.

FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

dboyt

Sounds like a great opportunity.  Will you be able to go take a look at the job before you commit?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

yarnammurt

I will go up next week and hammer out the details. But I have some more info. They have done their homework, They went to Memphis and got records from the slave sales for the plantation. They have pics of the house with the same trees they want me to cut out in front of the house. They are putting together a pack for a COA on the slabs with all the plantation info with pics of the house and slave quarters. They will sell some as slabs and then build some tables. This should be VERY cool.
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

Ocklawahaboy

Have they said why they are cutting the trees? -not that it's anyone's business, I'm just curious-   They obviously don't need the money.  Are the trees dying, in the way etc...   The few plantations I've seen usually like to keep their big old trees.

ScottAR

Very cool...  Get some state history with work and coin...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Thank You Sponsors!