iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Meeting another Forum Member

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, September 01, 2004, 07:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

On our way from Laurel Maryland to Ocean City Maryland The Lovley Miss Celest and I are going to visit the Termites at their home near Ft Kent Maine :o

On Friday the 3rd, Celest, Elvis the Road King and I are heading to Bike Week in Ocean City Maryland. But. We are going to take the long way there. We are heading up the St Lawrence river, going to tour Quebec City, ride up to Riviere Du-Loop hang a right and head for northern Maine where Termite has graciously invited us to stay over. After leaving there we are going to graze on lobster all the way down the coast, and make for the Adirondacks, sneak around NY City and make our way to OC Md.

I talked to Tim and his Wife on Monday and we are all excited about getting together.

I'll bring back stories and pictures

Look out Tim, we are headin your way! I'd bring you some tomatoes but they would stewed, shaken and stirred on the bike :D

See youall soon.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

DanG

Now, that's my kind of travelling! 8)  I like to have at least 4 wheels under me, but that don't mean I have to go direct. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sprucebunny

And that sure ain't direct. Even people who live in Maine think that Ft.Kent is a long ways away.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Weekend_Sawyer

Well, we are heading out early tomorrow morning. Hope to take the scenic routs and stay in the finger lakes area Friday night.

Harold, Tom, DanG and anyone else down south, you all take care and I'll be looking to hear good things when I get back online.

Weekend Sawyer

pappy

Weekend_Sawyer called the day before yesterday and said they would be leaving Quebec around noon today and expecting to land here this afternoon.

Can't Wait!!!!  

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

pappy

Just to let y'all know Jon aka Weekend_Sawyer and Celest made it here OK.  Here's a pic of them when they first arrived yesterday and being greeted by Jennie.

Elvis the Road King ( real nice wheels)

They stayed in the bunkhouse "outback" last night and must be sleeping in, it's so quite down there and if your tired you won't be getting up early.

While I was doing up the post they came up for coffee and here they are getting ready to leave.

It's been really nice having them over.  It's to bad they couldn't have stayed longer but that's how it goes doesn't it.  They're going to have a nice ride down Rt. 11 then along the coast of Maine today, the weather is just super. 8)

Ya know a friend of mine once said "some strangers are just friends you haven't met yet".  I believe we have made some new friends and it's because of the Forestry Forum, Thanks Jeff and all the admins and anyone else who makes this all happen.
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

DanG

Sounds like you guys had a great time. 8)  I too have found the ForestryForum to be a great place to make great friends. :)

Jon has a nice bike, to be sure, but I like the one in the background. Is that a Columbia?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pappy

DanG we had a great time -- we got allot in the short time we had together -- steaks, bonfire, stars, stayed up late, good conversation and Jon got to taste some spruce gum and smell some Balsam Fir pitch. ;D :D :) 8)

The old bike is a 24" Western Flyer. I've had three different occasions where guys in the know stop in to see if it was for sale.  One of em told me it was a 40's vintage.  Said if it would be in a little better shape it could be worth about $100.  I just pump up the front tire and ride it around in the yard once in awhile. :D  Ain't fer sale.

Weekend_Sawyer

What a surprize to pull into Tim and Jen's yard and find

Then I walk around the corner and find Tim setting out the welcome Mat.

Nah I'm just kidding, we had a great time. We got off the bike and did not stop talking until we got back on to leave. We had a wonderful time and I wish we had stayed a week.

Here's a couple of more pictures from Tim and Jen's

He's got a bit of work to do. Correct me if I'm wrong tim but isn't this white cedar? They have an ouhouse made out of white cedar and it is, bar none, the best smelling outhouse I have ever bin in!

And He's got a bit of work done...

We stayed in the cabin out back, about a MILE from the house. I would not have been surprized if sasquatch had stopped by for a beer!

I did see some moose tracks right through camp!
I put my size 12 next to it for contrast.

I can't say enough what great hosts Tim and Jen were. I hope to get back up some day but this time I'll pass on the tree gum! I ate a half a bag of potatoe chips to get the taste out! :o

Weekend Sawyer

pappy

No prob at the house but that's the "outback" warning sign -- only special people with permission are aloud back there.

WOW 2,400 miles  :o :o :o !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buns of steel :D :D No need fer leather pants

That welcome mat is a Konabear (sp) trap for wascally beavers

Yup the "jag" o logs is white cedar and the wacks a lumber are mostly white pine and maybe a whack or so of white spruce and balsam fir with maybe a chunk or two of popple board or 2 by -- oh ya maybe some larch which locally it's called tamarack  

Weekend_Sawyer

I IM'd termite earlier that we had made it home this evening.

Quick stat's from the trip
over 2,400 miles traveled.
2 countries visited, US (of course) and Canada.
Most northern point was Riviere Du_Loop Quebec.
8 states visited.
most states in one day was 4. Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and New York.
The bike averaged 40mpg
we did not hit a traffic jam until New Jersey.

Bun's of steel, well not quite but I'm not walking with a limp 8)

Thank You Sponsors!