iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When to use Tim-bor?

Started by Brad_bb, April 23, 2015, 09:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I guess I'm full of questions this week...  Getting my first truck load of logs.  I've been milling reclaimed beams for 3 months.  Looking forward to less metal.  I'm milling for timberframe stock.

Anyhow, my question is when to use Boracare? I have it.  I'm assuming I should use it on green timbers I cut.  Do I need to use it on the 100+ year old dry beams I remilled?  I had some green white oak a few years ago that was drying in my barn.  I had powder post beetles that first season, but it seemed like once they dried enough, I stopped seeing any new piles.  So i'm not sure that dry timber needs it here or not.

I could fog it on with my backpack leaf blower sprayer.  I normally use that sprayer to fog my grapevines when needed with other stuff.  Fogging uses far less material, but disperses it on what you want more evenly.  Very fine droplets.  Thanks.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Left Coast Chris

In my location with english walnut the PPB kept going in boards that had been air dried for multiple years.   I did take a chance on cedar and juniper and they don't appear to attack it at least so far.  Redwood, no problem.  I would say your observations for your location and the specific lumber are the best gauge.

One big caution is building with timbers or boards that will have humidity changes once incorporated and no longer have access.  The last out building I built I Timbored all the framing before putting on the sheathing.   Then our house was attacked by flying termites.  The treatment was to tear off the siding, sheathing, insulation then spray with Timbore.   I will not build anything again without spraying the framing prior to enclosing.   Good insurance.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

WDH

Why Boracare?  It is awfully expensive.  It is formulated to penetrate deeper and kill an active infestation.  If you are just wanting to prevent an infestation, surface spraying with disodium octaborate tetrahydrate is much more cost effective.  Timbor and Solubor are 98% disodium octaborate tetrahydrate.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

Oops, I meant Tim-bor. That's what I have.  Sorry.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!