iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Shed

Started by stanwelch, May 11, 2015, 09:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmfromkansas

As to the code here, if you use trusses on a building, the hurricane ties are required, but if you stick build a roof, toe nails are good.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

farmfromkansas

Question about using cottonwood on exterior, does anyone use it for siding successfully?  A neighbor has a building built entirely from cottonwood, probably 100 or more years old.  The old building is still serviceable.  The shingles are probably cedar.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

barbender

I've never used cottonwood, but I think you answered your own question😊
Too many irons in the fire

Don P

What code really calls for is a tie capable of withstanding the uplift. The easy way to do that is with Mr Simpson's rated metal connectors. We can also count nails, reference their capacity in the NDS for the orientation, size nail and wood used, do a little math to show compliance.

stanwelch

Finished the deck. Installed the underlayment and started the metal. 

Had to quit today. Full sun and pushing 90. Cat on a hot tin roof. 
Forecast is 60 at daybreak tomorrow. Need to git r done before 10. Sun and hot next few days
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

WDH

I saw you waving all the way from Georgia. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

stanwelch

North side finished

Ready to start south side

Making progress

Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Magicman

That's exciting stuff Stan.  It's going up and you are going down!!    8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

That is a fine looking shed.
Caveman

WDH

When you get that done, you will have to add another wing on the North side, and when you get that done...............
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

stanwelch

WDH. I know— I only have 1750' to the East. We all wanna be like JAKE!!

WDH

You would not want to be guilty of "Shed Creep" :D.

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

fat olde elf

Hey Michigander !!!  Congrats on a great build !!! 
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

stanwelch

Gonna call it done 8) (for now)!

Walnut Beast

Magicman

Well it looks mighty nice Sir.  Very Professionally done !!  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Magicman on September 15, 2020, 04:13:22 PM
Well it looks mighty nice Sir.  Very Professionally done !!  8)
I agree, but with two wings like that, you better be sure you have it secured to the ground, it could fly away on you. :D
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WDH

Looking like a real shed for sure!

caveman

Wow!  That is a great looking shed.  I'd love to have that.  It would be crammed full to the roof in no time but what a great place to stack piles of drying lumber.  I really like the piers you poured to mount the posts on.  Did you buy the metal brackets or make them?
Caveman

stanwelch

Thanks everyone. 
Caveman — I made the post brackets. Straps welded to an 8" square plate. The straps extend into the concrete to anchor to the pier. 

Jim — I do worry about wind lift. One thing helping lower the risk is the building is located in an old gravel pit below surrounding elevations. 

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Nebraska

Shed envy, looks great.

Brian C.

Okay Stan, it is absolutely fantastic, but are you trying to catch up to Jake???

Bruno of NH

Looks great
Very nice work Sir
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!