iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

more sharpening ??

Started by Quartlow, October 08, 2004, 07:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quartlow

Ok I snooped around oregaons website But I can't seem to find any info on sharpening angles. I have an oregon grinder and it came with about as much useful info as a knat.

I know that changing the angles can produce a chain thats sharper but doesn't last as long or going the other way will make it not quite as sharp but last longer.''

Almost everything we use is 3/8 pitch. Any suggestions as to where to start. or what angles are you using. While a super sharp chain is nice it ain't no fun if it don't stay that way.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Stephen_Wiley

Send a request for "Maintenance and Safety Manual"

Oregon Cutting Systems Group, Blount, Inc.
Attention: Dept. 18A
4909 S.E.International Way
PO Box 22127
Portland, OR 97269-2127 USA

-or-
email:
techservices@oregonchain.com

-or-
Check website for order information:
www.oregonchain.com

-or-
Phone: (503) 653-8881

Book is 3,5" x 6.75"  will fit in your shirt pocket and contains all the information for factory recommendations of filing *Oregon chains (including *Vanguard and other specialty chains). Also contains info for: cold operation, bars, sproket, maintenance.

If you have further problems let me know. If you let me know the type of chain you currenty have will give you filing instructions.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

victorytea

If you're in a hurry, you can download and print the booklet at-
http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/manual_maint.htm.

ladylake

I've had a Oregon grinder for years. I use 30* and I think 60* on the verticul. Haven't changed it in a long time.  Taking the rakers down when they need it is most important and keeping it out of the dirt.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Quartlow

Thanks guys Yeah dirt and saws don't get along well, DanG things don't like nails either. :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

John_Boisselier

Of course, from the other point of view, those same nails and of course fencing don't much like chainsaw chain either.
The Woodsman

Jackal

Go to Madsens Saw site. It tells you everything about a saw or chain, and why the angles are at that degree and what changing that amount of degrees will do in either direction.

I printed out about 50 pages with pictures for a reference folder for myself.

According to them they sell more Oregon chain than anyone in the world!!!!!!!

There are pics of Loggers cutting down trees that are 24 feet in diameter. They are all giving thanks to Madsens.

Hope this helps,
Jackal

Thank You Sponsors!