iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Those are quick Screen grabs from BEFORE I blew up the 12vdc to 3.3v converter :(

My old eyes didn't see the IN R/B and the OUT Y/B and I didn't have any instructions with the laser to warn me....

I hooked it up laser R/B to converter R/B and then Y/B to mill power and ground and it worked!  But something happened and it tripped a breaker.  I dug into it, looked online, saw the IN and OUT finally (which are on the converter) and promptly BLEW UP -- ok melted/fried -- the converter when I reversed the wiring.

I'm thinking I had it right at the start maybe but am investigating.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

GAB

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 05, 2023, 07:11:16 PM
  My fear here is the laser will work perfectly but only in low light so Eric will become the only known night-time only portable sawyer on the FF. :D :D
Sorry, but I think that that title belongs to Bandmill Bandit.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Andries

Quote from: GAB on February 06, 2023, 11:14:00 AM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 05, 2023, 07:11:16 PMMy fear here is the laser will work perfectly but only in low light so Eric will become the only known night-time only portable sawyer on the FF. :D :D
GAB
Agreed, but BBandit lives where there is only five hours of daylight for 9 wintery months of the year - so it's an operational necessity. 
Take it easy on us Glaciated Guys, ok?  :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

OlJarhead

lol we're finally getting some sun!  I comes up after I get ti work and is down when I get home but that will change!

GAB

Quote from: Andries on February 06, 2023, 11:24:23 AM
Quote from: GAB on February 06, 2023, 11:14:00 AM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 05, 2023, 07:11:16 PMMy fear here is the laser will work perfectly but only in low light so Eric will become the only known night-time only portable sawyer on the FF. :D :D
GAB
Agreed, but BBandit lives where there is only five hours of daylight for 9 wintery months of the year - so it's an operational necessity.
Take it easy on us Glaciated Guys, ok?  :D
Dear Andries:
Last Friday and Saturday we had what the weather people here called a polar vortex.  Never heard that term growing up.  I think someone either Canadian or American failed to do their job and we really got whacked with some of your glaciation weather.  Personally, if you do not mind, I'd appreciate it if you kept it, however I can understand your desire to share it.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

OlJarhead

lol we used to just call that a 'cold front'   but that won't due today.

Incidentally the vortex does not and cannot move.

OlJarhead

Magicman

Thanks Erik.

Gloves are one item of the Personal Safety Equipment (PSE) That I always wear.  No exceptions....Always.

Cap, safety glasses, ear plugs, dust mask, gloves, leather apron, & safety toe boots.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Magicman

Coiling and uncoiling blades is part of the job and shows the customer professionalism.  Of course you can always turn your head a bit so the customer will not see the smirk on your face.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Funny, coiling a band isn't part of my operation because I prefer flat packs!  But subscribers asked that I get WM to doing thus.

That video now has 2.8 Million views. Crazy.

Meanwhile we took a break and enjoyed the cabin 😀

doc henderson

nice job.  I have heard the expression, "hair on fire".  I had never seen it before, and that must be where you get your energy from. :D

what is the door looking thing to the right of the steps on the porch?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

OlJarhead

😆  Hair on fire Indeed!

That thing to the right of the steps is a pop can solar heater I made.  It worked so well it vaporized the insulation I used and I'll have to rebuild it lol.

I made it to help keep the batteries warm in the winter.

OlJarhead

Oh and I got this one out Friday!
https://youtu.be/LLp_7ADz0TM

Did you know that about Flagstaff.

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

WV Sawmiller

Eric,

Nice video. I probably cut more 180 rolls than 90 but I do not disagree with anything you said. I am  typically trying to get the widest boards I can or a certain predetermined width. I make the first cut, usually cut a flitch or two flip 180 and repeat. If I see one face is going to be significantly wider than the other (remember logs are never perfectly round) I'll flip back to the first face to try to even the face widths as much as reasonable. When I start my cut on face #3 I start on a predetermined mark so I end on the desired width for my finished boards without having to make a trim cut to get there.

Remember - Sides 1& 3 determine how wide your finished cant/boards will be. Sides 2&4 determine how many boards you get.

I always considered 2 flats on a log as a cant too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

Hey Thanks.  I agree and do the same thing some time (which of course, I did in the video) But I choose the side for height or width based on movement and sweep.  If making rafters I may put some crown I. them vs studs .use not crown.

OlJarhead

Quarter Sawing a BIG Douglas Fir [Wood Mizer LT40] - YouTube
This was the craziest log I ever tried to quarter saw!  I think I did ok lol but it was tough!!!

OlJarhead

Live with The Old Jarhead! - YouTube
FYI for those bored enough to listen to me blather LOL  I'll be doing this live Sunday

I'm also considering a give-away of some 'Old JarHead' Merch after reaching 10,000 subs!

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

Well shoot!  The Hydraulics Saga continues.

What started as a "replace the hydraulic filter and top off the oil" plan and progressed on to a "replace the contact block" plan has now escalated to a "pull the pump motor and replace the brushes" plan.

Of course, not having time during the week to work on the mill is hampering me a LOT.  I'll have to start digging into it this weekend and hope I can get the motor out, cleaned up and torn down for their arrival...and hope that replacing the brushes will be all I need to do to get my hydraulics back up to snuff.

Let's hope it doesn't take too much blood and sweat either lol :o ;D think_not

OlJarhead

OK Did some reading in response to @barbenders reply to me on another thread...I'm wondering if you might be right?  Seems like an easy (maybe not so) way to check would be to slip a thin feeler guage between the switch and the rod/cams?? and see if that makes a difference?  I'll have to see if that changes things.  And I'll have to post a vid of exactly what I'm hearing in case that helps down the road -- in fact, I have a vid I'm editing now that will do that I think.

SawyerTed

Try adjusting one micro switch and see it that helps that hydraulic circuit.  It takes just a few minutes and opening the hydraulic box takes most of it.  Plus it's free besides the time.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

OlJarhead

Thanks -- since the box is already open and the mill is in the shop I'm at least ahead of the game :D

After doing everything else I'll admit, I was disappointed that it didn't make a difference but at least I know it's done...if I can get away with adjusting the microswitch I might be happier :D

At first, I thought it wouldn't be that since ALL of the switches do it, regardless of direction (up or down) but then after reading some it sounds like all of the hyd switches activate a rod that kicks the microswitch to kick on the pump motor.

What I find odd is that I do have SOME hydraulics when it's whining at me....and then it engages fully and life is good and they work fine....it's only when it starts to whine that things go south...usually after some fiddling with switches or insisting they do something it starts up and gets things moving.

Thank You Sponsors!