iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody have a simple jig design for cutting cookies/ovals

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 22, 2016, 10:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I have a customer who needs to make some seats for an outdoor table and wants to use either cookies or oval cookies about 2"-3" thick. Sounds like he may need several dozen if not more if this pans out on a continuing basis. Because its an outside application I'm thinking of using white oak about 12"-16" in diameter. The design he showed me has 2 legs instead of a single pedestal for better stability. I'm leaning toward ovals to provide a bigger surface area to connect the legs to.

For those of you who cut cookies/ovals do you have and can you post a picture of any simple jig you use to help hold the short log in place? I find my hydraulic clamp head is off-set from the base making the logs want to slip out especially since I will never generate a squared edge in this case.

Thanks in advance.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brad_bb

Another guy just told me how he does it.  He just built a simple 2x4 frame like you'd prebuild a stud wall and then sheath one side in 3/4 plywood.  Put a log chunk in each opening of the stud wall and run a few screws through the plywood into the chunks.  Then clamp the stud wall frame on the mill and go for it.  You will leave a short 3.5"-4" cookie in the frame that will become firewood unless you have another use for it.  Size your stud wall openings to the largest cookie you want to make.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

You can do it like this but with round logs.
If you want ovals lean it over and cut several inches thick.

Good luck

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WV Sawmiller

Brad,

I'm not following your description very well. Any pictures of this design?

Jim,

Squares would be easy but these have to be native edge cookies/ovals with the rounded edges so harder to clamp and I need to get the angle for the ovals. The last I did was similar to this with a board on the side and I had trouble keeping it clamped tight. There has to be a better way.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

ladylake

The best way to get those ovals is to find a crooked log, lay one end on the deck flat with the curve up in the air.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

xlogger

YH had a simple one he build, I can't find it but maybe he will repost it for you.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

Yes, yellowhammer has a simple but very effective system. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Hilltop366

No experience making cookies but using a v notch may give you the grip required, easy to build, easy to use and cheap.

The V would have to line up with the log bunks or put a plank under the V notched beam to hold the logs up for clamping.

When you clamp the plain beam against the logs it will tilt one way or the other a bit to make up the for any difference in log side.

Also the clamp would be centred in between the V notches.

Some thing like this.

caveman

I cut a v-notch into a dedicated cant and often screw the log upright to a board that sits flat on the mill.  I move the cant with the v-notch down closer to the bed as the log gets shorter, I will shim it up with another cant when the upright log is long.  I do not have any pictures of it.
Caveman
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

Hilltop and Caveman,

Thanks for the idea. I can see where the V notch would work well for the cookies and I will see if I can cut an angled V notch to cut ovals.
Howard Green

twin_lakes

We had an order this winter for 6 pallets full of 4"-8" tall cookies.  Because of the thickness, we tried several options to make clamping logs easy and fast.  The fastest and most stable option we came up with is the combo of a board below resting on the mill, one up against the back stops with a v-notch cut into it, and then a board on the outside clamped onto the log with a pair of pull straps (non-ratcheting).  We could bind down on the two pull straps enough to bend the brace board around the log, and that seemed to stabilize the log the best and keep it from jumping around (bad news when it gets loose)   ::)

Woodland HM126, Stihl 270, Ford 641 Workmaster

woodman58

I made 2 dozen 1" cookies a couple weeks ago for a 50th anniversary party. The cookies were 12". I took a wide slab that i had cut that wouldn't  be good lumber for anything and cut 6 chunks of log about 12" long and screwed them to the board with 4-3" screws in each log. Then I skimmed a little off the top of each to level them out and then began cutting 1" off of each. It worked well for me. 
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

WV Sawmiller

Twin,

Thanks for the photo. I will have to try and slightly modify for ovals a system like you show. I can cut a scrap buckeye log for the V notch as they are plentiful and I have not found a good market for them yet. Never tried cutting a slanted V but should work. Buckeye is often what I use for testing some new cutting procedure.

W58,

Thanks. If I try something like you describe I guess I could cut a slant with my chainsaw and screw it to a scrap piece of 2X12 or such. Every angled cut with the chain could provide the starting point for 2 logs.
Howard Green

Larry

About 20 years ago I got a job cutting oval walnut cookies to make wall clocks.  I cut hundred's, probably over a thousand in a couple of years.  At the time I had a manual mill.  I welded up a frame that bolted to the mill rails.  Than another frame that I lag bolted to the bottom of log with 4 - 1-1/2" lag bolts.  Attached the two frames together with a couple of bolts.  The whole process took maybe a minute and securely held the log.  Had to slowly saw the first 5 or 6 slices or brace the log with a forked board.  It worked well.

Think I still have the jig, probably hidden away in my rat hole.

I think with your hydraulic clamp a jig could be designed that would be even easier to use.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

YellowHammer

I use a crosstie with two notches cut in it with a chainsaw, one vertical notch for making flat cookies, one at an angle for making ovals.  Cut the notch shape so the corners bite into the log and the clamp is set.  I tried a "V" notch, it works, but the "U" seems to grip better.  It's very sturdy, and I've never had a log come loose.  I buck the "loggets" to 32 inches before I put them in the clamp.  This gives me over a dozen consecutive two inch cookies before I have to reload.  It goes surprisingly fast. 

Here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94vRxlxdA4I
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Brad_bb

This is how I understood as it was described to me:

LeeB

Be careful with that 2x4 frame. Been there, done that, toasted a blade and bent the guards when one of the logs launched itself. It wasn't pretty.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Quebecnewf

The blades we use are " ripping" blades. Is there a blade that one could buy that would be better at this type of " crosscut" sawing.

A " crosscut" handsaw will not rip a board worth s#%# but a good hand " ripsaw will go through like butter. I think our blades are too aggressive for cross cutting hence the danger of grabbing and launching wood when we try to crosscut.

What I think
QUEBECNEWF

WV Sawmiller

Yellowhammer,

A big War Eagle thanks you for the description and video. I'll try that.

Brad,

I had not thought of cutting multiples like you show in your diagram but it if I end up cutting enough of them I may try that twist too. Don't see why it would not work if I keep everything wedged and clamped tight.

Quebecnewf,

Since I would be cutting oak I would already be using a 4* blade which is lowest profile in my arsenal. You raise a good point.
Howard Green

Brad_bb

LeeB, you are supposed to screw thru the bottom of the plywood into the log chunks.  Did you have yours screwed and still ripped one out?  If you're cutting a smaller chunk, you could fill in the space in the box with wood blocks or wedges to tighten up the space.  I have not done this yet, so I don't know the likelihood of this.

YellowHammer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 24, 2016, 08:09:31 AM
Yellowhammer,

What?!  If I'd known you were an Auburn fan, I'd have talked slower.  :D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

tnaz

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 24, 2016, 10:33:11 PM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 24, 2016, 08:09:31 AM
Yellowhammer,

That's not nice!!!  Now I'm cleaning screen and wiping eyes.
Still laughing.... :D :D :D

dboyt

A 3/4" pitch blade would be less likely to grab.  Main thing is good clamping technique.  First time I tried it the log spun around and kinked the blade.  Use a straight blade and don't push too hard, and you'll do fine.  Next step is to figure out how to keep 'em from cracking.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

WDH

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 24, 2016, 10:33:11 PM

:D :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!