iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Makita 7103 Chain Mortiser

Started by Phil H., October 18, 2016, 03:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil H.

Hey all,

Just picked up a used Makita Chain Mortiser.  The common Makita is the 7104L, as far as I've seen.  The older 7103 is a bit different, a little more clunky and not quite as streamlined as the 7104 that I've used.  My main question is in the way it clamps to the timber.

It has the clamp with levers on one side (similar to the 7104) but on the other, it only has the spring, not full width clamp. There is also this bar that angles down that looks like it wants to do something useful, but it just doesn't know what.  Is this normal, or am I missing a part? 

Thanks for any thoughts!

Jim_Rogers

I've never seen one like that.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Phil H.

Jim,

I haven't either!  Funny thing is, I can't find any info about it.  First time the internet has failed me.  It's kind of refreshing though, albeit a little frustrating.

I have to do more test cuts, to make sure the apparent lack of a full clamp isn't causing any discrepancies.
The other difference is that it only has 2 positions instead of 3, as far as I can tell:  straight and tilted.

dlh944

Here is a 7103 on ebay, it looks very similar to yours so I have to assume you are not missing any parts. None the less, doesn't show how to clamp. You could email this guy on ebay and ask how it clamps.

(admin edit: removed eBay link)

jimdad07

I have the same one.  I had to buy the longer clamping rod to accomodate the width of beams I'm doing with it.  I tried to mount the 7401 clamping base to it but the rod with the bend on it is quite a bit smaller diameter than the 7401.

Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Plankton

We use the same one on the timber framing crew I work on, no other clamp on the back just adjust the spring clamp at back to set and you only need to undo the main lever to move it on the beam doing joist pockets etc.

Good machine will make square cuts with that one clamp no problem. Should have three positions though? the second two are adjustable mabe your middle one is set close to the third one?

Phil H.

Plankton and jimdad07,

Thanks for the replies.  I haven't visited the forum in a while.
Good to know it cuts square and I'm not missing any parts.

I made a couple sets of (timber framed) saw horses to prep for my project using the chain mortiser and the 2 settings worked okay. 

But I'll play around and adjust it to get a third.

Phil H.

Quote from: jimdad07 on November 08, 2016, 11:30:02 AM
I have the same one.  I had to buy the longer clamping rod to accomodate the width of beams I'm doing with it.  I tried to mount the 7401 clamping base to it but the rod with the bend on it is quite a bit smaller diameter than the 7401.

Jimdad07,

Where did you get the extension?
Also, are you putting any bar oil on, or doing any other maintenance besides sharpening?

ShimodaLife

Quote from: Phil H. on April 13, 2017, 02:02:15 PM
Quote from: jimdad07 on November 08, 2016, 11:30:02 AM
I have the same one.  I had to buy the longer clamping rod to accomodate the width of beams I'm doing with it.  I tried to mount the 7401 clamping base to it but the rod with the bend on it is quite a bit smaller diameter than the 7401.

Jimdad07,

Where did you get the extension?
Also, are you putting any bar oil on, or doing any other maintenance besides sharpening?
Hi Phil, I wonder if you got any feedback on the longer rods. I have a used 7104 now, and the rods are too short to mount an 8" timber. Any feedback is appreciated. Cheers,
JT
Completed my Timber Frame Tiny House as practice for the soon-to-be-started TF Real House. Tracking all on my Shimoda Life Youtube channel.

Thank You Sponsors!