iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clamp on forks. A great back saver.

Started by 21incher, April 28, 2017, 10:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I have been wanting to build a set of forks for my little Deere for some time now, but never got around to it. I have a hard time moving thicker slabs from my mill by myself and finally broke down and bought a pair to save my back. I got them on Amazon for basically a little more then the materials would have cost me to build a set. The feature that I like is there is a bar to keep them from twisting on the bucket. My little tractor can only pick up 800 lbs so the 1500 lb rating should be fine. The bucket seems fine and does not bend with the max load my tractor can handle keeping the back wheels on the ground. They should work fine with 3-4 hundred pound slabs.

For $149.00 delivered I think they were a great deal and seem to be well made.
This will be a great addition to the mill and hopefully make my back last longer.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ox

I've got the same manufacturer forks for the backhoe, but the ones I had to get are the big monsters that handle like 6000 lbs or something.  They are solid steel actual forklift forks, not the tube style like you have.  I like the tube style like yours cause they're strong and much lighter to mount.  The first time I tried using mine I tried scooping a log, the tip of the fork caught a stump or rock or something and pushed over.  I mangled that center "stay-put" bar the very first time I used it... I couldn't tell it was happening cause I can't see a darn thing in front of this machine and I didn't feel anything either!  It's just so big and heavy bad things happen and I don't know until afterwards.
You've got good forks.  I think the old man has some just like it and he wasn't complaining about them so that means he likes them...
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Cedarman

Looks like they will save a lot of work moving stuff around. A word of caution.  If picking slabs up real high and tilting back , they can come sliding at you.  they can turn as they slide and act like spears .
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

21incher

Quote from: Cedarman on April 28, 2017, 03:24:40 PM
Looks like they will save a lot of work moving stuff around. A word of caution.  If picking slabs up real high and tilting back , they can come sliding at you.  they can turn as they slide and act like spears .
I can see where I will have to be extremely careful with them and have to add some back boards in the pockets on them.  My bucket only goes up about 6 feet, but it may be a good idea to add some straps to keep things from moving as you said.

Ox all my equipment is very small and like toys compared to what others on here have. They look to be well made and I think they should stand up well.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

yukon cornelius

We used a set just like that recently to load a 24" walnut log. It held up great. We all need those back savers  :)
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Kbeitz

I just went to the junkyard and bought a set of real forklift forks
for $50.00. It was real easy to clamp them in...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

Kbeitz I  wish there was a junk yard like yours near me.  >:(

Bruno of NH

I have a 4,000 lb set and broke them had them welded back up for spare set.
I now have the solid 6,000 lb set with the bar they work great.
I load some big logs with them
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Corley5

My neighbor got a set for his Kubota and bent the bottom of his bucket to the point he had to take it to a shop and have a new bottom welded in.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

21incher

Quote from: Bruno of NH on April 28, 2017, 09:26:04 PM
I have a 4,000 lb set and broke them had them welded back up for spare set.
I now have the solid 6,000 lb set with the bar they work great.
I load some big logs with them
I tried picking up a small ash log with them, and the log stayed on the ground while the back wheels on the tractor went up. There was no flexing of the forks or bucket so I think they should be fine. They do make a nice set with solid forks and a quick attach plate,  but it was overkill for my little tractor. Looks like the max I can pick up at the tip of the forks is about 400 lbs so there will be no log handling with them. :)

Quote from: Corley5 on April 28, 2017, 09:42:48 PM
My neighbor got a set for his Kubota and bent the bottom of his bucket to the point he had to take it to a shop and have a new bottom welded in.
I think they will be fine.  The deere bucket has a thick wear bar on the front and a couple of wear strips welded on the bottom of the bucket front to back just off to the side of where I have them mounted.  Time will tell. :)

Ox

Even so - maybe roll the log to the back of the forks with a cant hook or peavey and then see if she'll lift it.  You'll just have to be careful to rest the fork tips on your mill frame to avoid a tip over.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

chevytaHOE5674

I'll also say keep an eye on the bottom of the bucket. I had a set of them and used them on my backhoe which has a double walled and reinforced bucket, and even so I noticed the bottom of the bucket starting to bend and bow. Needless to say they no longer get used.

coxy

21incher

Quote from: coxy on April 29, 2017, 07:33:51 PM
put 500lbs of weight on the back
There are  200 lbs of wheel weights on it and a 700 lb weight box for the 3 point.  Trouble is  add more weight to pick up more weight with the bucket and the front axle pivot/ drive shafts  snap. The 3 I have replaced so far cost almost $400.00 each time for the shaft, bushings, bevel gears, & seals. The  front  axel just can't handle it. It is only a 1 slab at a time toy. :)

coxy

I know what you mean I put a 800lbs of weight on my skid steer and now I can watch my hydro cylinders flex while lifting to much  :o

Thank You Sponsors!