iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

brown

Started by tule peak timber, November 10, 2019, 09:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

My second weekend ( at least 20 hours) per Saturday and Sunday......of 3 months worth of  making brown. Do these samples look brown? It is Sunday evening,,,the latest round of brown.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Nebraska

Well the two on the left look brown to me, so what exactly are you working on??   Proprietary stain voodoo that you only know the secret too..  :D 

Nebraska

@tule peak timber

I asked Bug she just gave me a cat look, I think she agreed though. Don't think she'd  fit in well at your place, two paws up on your fish dinner though. :)

Andries

With three months of making brown - you must have got it down.
😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Southside

I see brown, light brown, dark brown, blonde, tan, and blotches.  Of course it was only about 20 years ago I found out, quite embarrassingly as it was since it involved a wall I had repaired and painted, that I am rather color blind, so take my assessment for what it's worth.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tule peak timber

Well we got word that the designer was fired and the principal will be making the final decisions soon. They are out of time on a 110,000,000.00 dollar project and can not pick a brown.
The only one who knows what he is doing on this project  is the cat on this thread.

Nebraska

Ah the elusive search for the "right brown".  Drill the center out of a dart board,  attach the top sample browns, drink a Bell's two hearted ale, spin the boards throw darts, when you hit a brown it's down, have another Bell's, by the time you repeat that process a few times you will be thoughly satisfied with the brown color choice, even to the point of being able to sleep on it.
I chose Bell's it's as close to a favorite as I get, and you would appreciate the label art. I don't envy your position with that project.

21incher

You must be working on the movie sequel to 50 shades of grey called 100 shades of brown. ;D.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tule peak timber

I should get word this week. Along with just color tones- there is texture, top coat durability,VOC compliance, and price point.

Andries

Somebody is playing with a Rubics cube.
Here's hoping you get a clear answer this week. 🤔
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

tule peak timber

Thanks....I'm going to be up in Northern Montana in a little over a week, save me some warm weather :D

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tule peak timber

This is a new construction hotel in Hollywood so the rules are a bit different than a home as well as everyone in a long chain of inputs is shaving pennies...

reedco

But don't take the penny's out of my salary!!

Not many trees

Jim_Rogers

If they are shaving pennies use that brown......
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brad_bb

You've done your job (made the samples).  Now it's up to someone else to make the decision.  Is this for trim, or tables or?  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

tule peak timber

Just rolled in from the Rocky Mountain Front. Driving in 2-4 feet of snow 50- 60 knots of wind and temps 9-11 degrees. Extremely gnarly. I actually took videos of the white out conditions . Gnarly......
   The owner did pick all of the browns - so we are in production.This fancy reclaimed board look is for trim (6-7000 sqft ) . The job is a fancy hotel in Hollywood-Price point is set from the beginning.

Andries

Quote from: tule peak timber on November 11, 2019, 07:45:56 PM
Thanks....I'm going to be up in Northern Montana in a little over a week, save me some warm weather :D
Thats a lot of snow to be playing with.
Two to four feet of snow - that's snowmobile time.  ;D
You've got more Canadian weather than I do!
Now that the brown has been blessed by the principle, how long will your production cycle last?
. . . and are you installing as well, or supply only?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

tule peak timber

At the calculated rate -6 weeks to wrap this one up. Lots of motions in the finish process to get it just right and this is what is taking the time.
   I will do a quick Rocky Mountain Front post this later morning .
   Weather wise here--lots of wet snow. I landed at Palm Springs and barely made it home over the mountain pass. Hundreds of spun out cars in wet snow. As soon as I would stop for the guy in front of me my car would just start sliding sideways and rolling into a 1000 foot ravine was a real threat.We have steep mountain roads-no shoulders, and I did not have chains- the 4 wheel drive was useless. Very luck to make it home.
  A pic of here in town on flat straight roads ---what a mess.

samandothers

Congratulations on making the deal.  Travel looks and sounds pretty tricky!

Nebraska

Drove home in similar stuff Tuesday eve. No fun at all. How was the mountain trip? Any fishing? Nothing to do with brown and I'll go look for your other post. ;)

tule peak timber

I did post this morning "Rocky Mountain Front". I have some videos of the storm but I'll have to wait for the internet speed to pick up here.Another kind of brown, a brown trout from a drainage ditch a few minutes outside of the airport. Needless to say I didn't waste any time once the plane landed.

tule peak timber

By Christmas day we will be half way through the "brown "project. No glory -just grind at 1000 sq ft per week of finished wall panel.A well choreographed  round -de round.

Larry

When I saw the picture my first thought was you are fuming white oak.

So how are you getting that beautiful brown?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tule peak timber

Half the battle is physically conditioning the wood surface to look like something it was never meant to be.
  The color can come from three ways, pigment, dye, or chemical treatment all achieving the same look. I spent all of last month building a custom dye for this project- some one here accused me of "voodoo" :D

Thank You Sponsors!