iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brown trout !

Started by isawlogs, April 26, 2011, 09:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Took a few hours and went fishing with my daughter and her boyfriend. Don't have far to go , river makes nrth border to the property here.

Our catch ( Simon did that part ) One 18 inches and a 12 1/2 incher

I did this to them today  ;D

I had put them in a brime last night, took um out this morning and let them drip dry after rinsing them. Put them in the smoker for a little over two and a half hours. Man they are good eatin'  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

Did anybody else get a chance to eat some too?  :D

isawlogs

Nope .. not yet  ;D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

I miss Trout Fishing more than anything else living here with all this sunshine.
Trout sure do like their cold water. ::)
I smoked a Lake Togue at the cabin like that last year.  It was pretty near good as yer picture. :)

fishpharmer

Looks like good fun!!!

Or maybe just good.  Do you have a favorite trout smoking wood?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

isawlogs

I don't know Fish as these are da first to get smoked, thye where done wit cherry. Smelled good and sure taste good too.  ;D

Marcel

fishpharmer

Cherry sounds good.  I have a bunch of cherry slabs from a log I recently milled.  Hmm... maybe smoked catfish would be good too.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

timerover51

Quote from: fishpharmer on April 26, 2011, 09:50:02 PM
Cherry sounds good.  I have a bunch of cherry slabs from a log I recently milled.  Hmm... maybe smoked catfish would be good too.

Fishpharmer, I suspect that cherry smoked catfish would be very good eating.

Isawlogs, that is some of the nicest country I have seen in a great while, good fishing stream, some open areas, woods, and some nice-sized hills in the background.  I can think of a lot worse areas to live, but not many better ones.  I do need to get out and take my daughter fishing some this year.  She is off to college in the fall, so chances are going to be a mite fewer.

WildDog

Nice catch and a good looking stretch of river.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Raider Bill

Marcel,
Why do you brine trout?
In Tenn we have a river they stock every Thursday with rainbows. Nothing as big as yours though.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

Marcel,

Cherry is my favorite smoking wood.  Those trout look delectable!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

So the boyfriend showed you up huh.  ;D

Beautiful scenery Marcel.  :)

isawlogs

Thanks , it is kinda purty here  :)

Bill,( I just hope that brine is the word I was intending on using ... brine , salted,sweetened spiced liquide one leaves meat in for a while to soak in) I don't know why, thats whats called for in da recipy. Makes dam good fish that way too  ;D
Norm , he is welcomed here, even helps out with choires  ;)  (I think he knows how to get on my good side)

Danny .. do you use chips, sawdust or shavings for smoking and also do you soak them or not , I have read of using both ways

I am new to this smoking thing, but sure makes things alot easier to eat, not that it wasn't before  ;D

Marcel

Tom

May I introduce a comment?  ;D

Brining flavors the meat and draws out the liquids that might spoil.  It's main purpose, though, is to toughen the meat.  Without brining, the meat would flake apart and be difficult to serve or store.   When the flakes hold together, the smokey crust that forms on the finished fish holds it together so that you can eat it flake by flake.

Oily fish generally do better smoked than non-oily ones.  I was introduced to smoked mullet as a child, and it is probably my favorite.  But, I also will fight you for  smoked sailfish, marlin, amberjack, king fish, blues and blue runners.   The good thing about smoking is that it makes many fish palatable that were only caught as sport fish.   Before sailfish were smoked, most of the ones caught on the charter boats were either stuffed and mounted, or their carcasses thrown back into the ocean after the pictures were taken.

Smoking is a great way to be able to eat most rough fish.

If you have too much smoked fish, put some in a blender with some mayonnaise, or cream cheese, and make a dip that will last for a long time under refrigeration.

Raider Bill

I  smoke a lot of things and brine some but never thought to brine trout or fish. It's going on the to do list next trip north. Thanks Marcel and Tom!
Normally I will smoke, grill, pan fry in oil or foil with onions and butter my trout. Actually thinking about it I do that with all my fish.

Smoked Mullet, Kings and Amberjack is normally what I get around here to put in the box.

One of my to do list items is to have fresh smoked Alaskan salmon someday.

isawlogs

Tom, ya might look into getting a freezer. If I have too much of anything , it gets put through the vaccum seal and into the freezer it goes . I aint making no dip outa my fish..  ::) :D

Bill if you want I can send ya or post the recipy on here for the brine. I need to take some time to translate it,

Marcel

Raider Bill

Yes Marcel thanks it will be good for you and I will certainly like to try it! ;D

SwampDonkey

Oh wow. Trout fishing (and eat'n). My favorite sport fish. Looks like some fine dining their Marcel. Nice stretch of water. I definitely need to take a trip to the old stomping grounds. :) I know a remote lake that requires hiking to get to and big brookies to be had. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Some Brook Trout we caught last year.
I like fishing for them more than eating them.

SwampDonkey

Mmm, nice!!!  ;) I like the red belly ones from the Little North Pole. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

When I took my son, Toby, on his "with daddy" vacation, he was about 9 years old.  I took him to the Smokey Mountains on the Motorcycle.  We had stopped at the French Broad River at Chimney Rock and he was walking on the big rocks in the river and having a great time.   The hatchery trout had been released and there was  a man fishing for them not far from us.  Toby, having been brought up in Salt Water, saw the man bring one of the little fish out of the water.   He ran over there and asked, "what'cha fishing for mister?"   He thought the trout was the bait.   He had a lesson on catching trout on corn that day.

That night at the hotel, he broke a long, several hours thinking session with, "Daddy!  they don't have any fish here that would make supper."  Then he went back to watching the TV.

Ah-h!  The innocence of a child.  :-\       :D

isawlogs

Sure thing Bill , will be happy to put it down for ya.  Gotta admit that that little river has gotten out of hand there/here...

After the rain last night , the water and the snow melt made it grow some .... :-\

Marcel

Tom

Is that where you were fishing?

isawlogs

No , that would be the field we crossed to get to the river bank ta fish :-\  Way over dere ..

Marcel

Mooseherder

We have some Lake Trout that get a little bigger Tom.

Marcel, Ya better get yer high water pants on. :o

Thank You Sponsors!