iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guys from the Northeast, Any data on thornapple as firewood? Now Solved!

Started by brianJ, August 24, 2020, 11:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianJ

Wikipedia claims the Latin name of Crataegus pennsylvanica as the species I have here in NY.    In the past, I have had bonfires with it and as the fire burns down to coals they remind me of maple.      

I have done buckthorn for firewood too.    That reminds me more of cherry.   Perhaps just because the bark and color of the wood are similar

GAB

The list that I have for firewood BTU values does not have a listing for thornapple.
Since it bears a fruit with seeds on the inside like an apple I'd think it would be high possibly over 20 MBTU/cord. 
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

cutterboy

I don't know what a thornapple is. I assume as the name implies it is a tree that produces both apples and thorns? Wood from regular apple trees makes good firewood and good for smokers too.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

doc henderson

there are several ways to tell the BTUs if you can tell the density and or specific gravity (relative to water).  all wood has the same number of BTUs per unit weight of dry wood.  a denser wood has more weight per unit volume.  even bark has the same heat per gram dry wt., but is less dense.  you can measure the density by drying a sample of wood.  measure the weight, and then volume by making the sample easy to measure or dunking under water and measuring the volume displaced.  If it is heavy after drying, it should have Lots of BTUs.  coal production and smoke can be tested by burning the wood.  most fruit and nut tree wood is good for smoking.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

petefrom bearswamp

All I can say about thornapple firewood is ouch.
Why bother.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Crusarius

I was going to say the same thing as Pete. It will work but will hurt.

I akways joked about giving blood while working on cars. This would be the same thing.

brianJ

Quote from: cutterboy on August 24, 2020, 05:10:15 PM
I don't know what a thornapple is. I assume as the name implies it is a tree that produces both apples and thorns? Wood from regular apple trees makes good firewood and good for smokers too.
It is also known as hawthorn in other parts of the world.

brianJ

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on August 25, 2020, 07:44:16 AM
All I can say about thornapple firewood is ouch.
Why bother.
It doesn't pile up quickly but I got a 200 foot section of hedgerow I need to yank them out of so I can drop several dying ash trees behind them.    

jmur1

Sounds like abit more of a chore , but if you try it let us know how it goes!  See how long it takes to dry to 15%-20%

jmur1
Easy does it

brianJ

Quote from: doc henderson on August 25, 2020, 12:33:42 PM
this is a good pdf on heat from wood.  in the end, all wood will heat.

https://www.mha-net.org/docs/v8n2/docs/WDBASICS.pdf
Good technical data from you Doc    Thanks for the input.    Ill end up with a face cord of thornapple.   Going to put it on the pile with the white oak I cut spring of 2019 but am splitting just now

mudfarmer

Quote from: brianJ on August 25, 2020, 02:20:47 PM
Quote from: cutterboy on August 24, 2020, 05:10:15 PM
It is also known as hawthorn in other parts of the world.
I was wondering if that was what was being referred to as thorn apple in this post. We have a lot of it taking over old pasture. It is very nasty stuff. Best to cut it at the stump and push in a pile with the tractor :)
It is crazy dense/hard and makes great firewood but honestly would want to let it dry out and then put it through a firewood tumbler to get rid of the thorns. I don't have a firewood tumbler..
The birds love it so right now unless it is spreading too bad or I need the space it just stays

K-Guy

Another name for it is Hawthorn and it is in a group of shrubs and small trees, so it has no real production value. It should be fine for firewood but one comment I saw said the wood stinks when cut. It also mentioned that it is a very hard wood.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

brianJ

Quote from: K-Guy on August 26, 2020, 09:39:30 AM

Another name for it is Hawthorn and it is in a group of shrubs and small trees, so it has no real production value. It should be fine for firewood but one comment I saw said the wood stinks when cut. It also mentioned that it is a very hard wood.
Yes, I knew that as mentioned in a reply to cutterboy.    As it turns out if I Google firewood BTU's of hawthorn rather than of thornapple I get a table where it is included.     That table claims 24 million BTU per cord so very similar to Rock maple.   

trapper

In my woods it grows to about 4-6 inches in diameter and dies.  if it is off the ground I cut and throw it in the fire. bottom couple feet is normly wet and goes onnext years pile.  I like it just wear leather gloves which I do when handeling wood anyway.  
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

breederman

Years ago I burned alot of it as my woods was riddled with it. Just get it under cover , it will rot if left on the ground. When your front tractor tires start going down just chuck em because you never get all the thorns out and patching the tube for the 4th time makes for a bad attitude.😁
Together we got this !

jerry sundberg

We have a row of Hawthorn along the road that I planted to keep the deer out which works quite well also the grouse and other birds love it. This past week I chipped up a bunch of the dead stuff and my arms were a BLOODY mess. When feeding the chipper the branchs' flop around and you get whacked a bit. Should even were a face shield !
Farmall  man

brianJ

Quote from: breederman on August 26, 2020, 07:20:14 PM
Years ago I burned alot of it as my woods was riddled with it. Just get it under cover , it will rot if left on the ground. When your front tractor tires start going down just chuck em because you never get all the thorns out and patching the tube for the 4th time makes for a bad attitude.😁
You are a betterman than I as I get that bad attitude from patching the first time. >:(

cutterboy

OK, hawthorn, now I know it. Some time ago on another thread it was mentioned that the thorns of the hawthorn could puncture a tractor tire. I was amazed and still am. After reading breederman's comments I guess there is no doubt. 
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Crusarius

SwampDonkey

You can burn anything woody for firewood, even alders. Although, don't try a woody poison ivy and get smoke in your face, DOH! ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!