Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

fishpharmer

That looks pretty good for an all electric.  Might even be a practical source of tranportation.  If its good it won't be allowed in the US.

As a matter of fact, I don't see why the US hasn't done something like this already. 

Did I miss a price? 

Thanks Harold.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Fla._Deadheader

Didn't see a price.  Batteries are available now, that have up to 10 year life for vehicles. 60 mile range for DIY conversions are becoming pretty common, now.
   First, it is ridiculed;

John Mc

I've been debating a DIY conversion of a small pickup for a couple of years now. The problem is, I need 4WD, and not many seem to do those conversions. I recognize 4WD will cut the range a bit. However, I don't need high top speed and extreme range in the first place. I need to be able to tow 4 or 5000# for short distances at 30-40 MPH max (10 miles max round trip ... trailer would be loaded for half of that. It would be nice to be able to make a couple of trips without recharging). If possible, being able to use it for a commuter vehicle when not towing would be nice, but not crucial:30-50mph roads over easy rolling hills. I need some ground clearance for use on some of my better woods trails, which is why I'm looking at a small pickup as a place to start.

Sound do-able? Most of the stuff I've seen focuses on highway speed statisics (55-65 mph), and doesn't even consider towing.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Fla._Deadheader

Look up http://www.diyelectriccar.com.

Might get some negative input, but, these guys are some sharp. If you can find a small pickup, with lock out hubs, it will get the same range as a 2 wheel drive, until you engage the front hubs. 

I think it's totally do-able.  Might need a decent budget, though ???  Know of any junk electric forklifts sitting around. The motors make great EV drive motors.

There's TONS of info on that site.   Keep us (me) updated, if you do the project.  8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ianab

A local guy did a DIY conversion on an old Mitsi 1600cc car. He got a local engineering company to make up a solid alloy adaptor plate to match the electric engine to the existing gearbox. Just used 2nd gear around town and the car had better acceleration than it did on petrol, but only did about 35mph. Selecting 3rd gear gave it a 60mph top speed for the open road.

I see no reason you couldn't do that with a 4WD, keeping the transfer box and gearbox. Selecting low gear, with the torque of the electric motor, would tow almost anything.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

Exactly. Remember, volts = speed, Amps = power. Most conversions use 120 volts or higher, for highway driving.

The newer Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are about ½ the weight and nearly twice the usage, per charge. Could last to 10 years, but, cost more than lead.

Lead only gives about ½ the actual capacity in usage, because of the Peukerts effect.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!