iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Still haven't gotten out to mill up all those logs yet (too hot) and may go mill a few logs up locally but in the meantime I've been working on some wainscot for the bar :D

Taking roughsawn lumber to the next level! - YouTube
For those bored enough to check it out ;)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

Well I still haven't made it to the cabin or out milling!  But I do have a couple jobs lined up so for now, this is what I'm up to!

Sawmill rough-sawn lumber to awesome wainscot! - YouTube

OlJarhead

Finally getting back to milling for someone else! :D  8)

Gotta go mill up a big pine tomorrow.  Funny thing, it's been a while since I had to pack out stuff for a job LOL so now I'm in a bit of a rush to get everything set up this afternoon so I can roll out in the AM....Yikes!

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

I met my match!  or more specifically 'logzilla' that my LT40 did not have the capacity to lift!  10 years and I never had a log I couldn't mill and then I met this 17 foot Ponderosa pine that was 32" in diameter at BOTH ends!

Logzilla weighed in at a mill squashing 4272.3 lbs! and scaled a plentiful 766bf (int scale) but I didn't know that going into it.

At first I think it would be close to the lift capacity, then I began to worry a little.....

Once lined up I decided I could do it!  Might need MM's trick with a chain on the log clamp but I'd get it.

Several minutes of trying to get the mill to lift the log and I realized I was batting out of my league!  That log was NOT going on the mill without using the forks and the forklift was not running well so I didn't want to risk dropping the log on the mill not did I want to find out I couldn't turn it.

I then got on FF in the toolbox and looked up the weight  :P :o :o :o

Ya, no!

He want's 16 footers so.......someone with a BIGGER mill than my puny LT40HD will have to come save the day.  Any takers?

WV Sawmiller

Eric,

I'm confused. I am pretty sure the max weight on the loader arms specified on your mill is at least 4400 lbs. I'd have thought she'd have groaned a bit then lifted it right into place. Did I miss something?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

According to WM's current specs it should be 4400lbs....makes me wonder if the 2015/2016 models were the same or the 3500lbs I seem to recall???

At 4400lbs I should have been able to get it onto the mill though just barely but I could not get it off the ground AT ALL.  Even with the log clamp pulling a choker chain to draw the log all the way onto the forks, it wasn't going up.

Hmmmm......

Magicman

You are rated to lift 4400 lbs.  LINK

The hook, chain, and log clamp rolls the log closer to/over the loader arms pivot point make logs easier to load.  Since you have an 'uncertain forklift' available, rather than using it to load the log onto the sawmill bed, use it to help the loader with the log.  If the claw can't turn the log, use the clamp and claw together.  Raise the log with the clamp and then lower it allowing the log's weight against the claw to turn it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

My mill is rated the same as yours and I am confident I have loaded WO logs heavier than that. As I remember I had more of a challenge turning them than loading it. I remember I had to use the claw and clamp and maybe even the toeboards to get it to turn. I have had to use the loader arms and a short board to turn some big, awkward logs. Mostly the arms and board were used to hold it in a raised position while I got a new bite with the claw of got the clamp repositioned. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

You also can use your magic hook and chain to turn logs with only the log clamp.

I have used this technique many times on large logs.  I was reverse rolling/turning this one but it's easy enough to rig it to turn in the opposite direction.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Perhaps something wasn't right.  The forks would not budge the log at all.  In fact it just stopped once there was pressure on them.  Tried using the log clamp and chain to pull it in and lift like I've done before and it did not budge.

Couldn't get the forklift in behind it as another very big log was directly behind it.

I was on the road at the edge of the pavement with a slight lean towards the log (crown of the road to the left of the log loader) but I can't imaging that would matter.

Iwawoodwork

Sounds like maybe a relief valve was bypassing. not giving full hyd pressure. 

OlJarhead

I wonder?

the log could weigh more than the estimate too I suppose 

Brucer

Yes, it could. You're awfully close to the limit, and the green weight used in the calculations is just an estimate of what it actually could be.

Did you measure the diameter inside the bark, or outside?
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

OlJarhead

Outside to inside was 32" and I just did a quick check.  no taper either.

GullyBog

Weight is highly variable.  Good pine is heavy.  That looks like a good log with lots of heart in it.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

Brucer

The reason I asked is the toolbox calculator wants the diameter to the outside of the bark. The bark will be lighter than the wood and I'm assuming the calculator adjusts for the bark thickness according to the species you choose.

Your weight is so close to the lift capacity that even an extra inch of sound wood could put you over.

TimW

Have you tried lifting any other logs? 
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

OlJarhead

Thanks guys -- I'm seeing 33" outside to outside on one end, the other end is about the same.  Looking at the tool again I see this weight: 4543.65

And a note that it is to be measured at the middle of the log!  :o :P

So, it's above capacity either way.
You can see me try like heck to get it on the mill here:
I meet 'LogZilla'! - YouTube

D6c

If you've got that telehandler there, just set it on the mill with it.

OlJarhead

Quote from: D6c on August 23, 2021, 12:55:22 PM
If you've got that telehandler there, just set it on the mill with it.
I wish I had video of that thing trying to move the log....it wasn't going well and the guy running it couldn't get the forks to tilt well or properly....scary!  I wasn't letting it anywhere near the mill! LOL  :D :o

Brucer

If the telehandler is still available, one work-around would be to fasten a heavy rope to the metal tube between the loader forks and run it under the log. Extend the telehandler forks across the mill and attach the rope to them so you have a vertical lift. Use this arrangement to assist the sawmill hydraulics.

If you use a nylon or poly rope (say 3/4" or a couple of 1/2") it will stretch enough to balance the load between the machine and the mill. It'll also compensate for erratic operation of the machine. As the loader arms rise the cylinders will get more of a mechanical advantage and might be able to finish the job on their own.

The biggest log I had on my first (manual mill) was a 33" dia (small end) x 20'-7" long Ponderosa Pine. It was dry enough to shed it's bark as I loaded it, but not dry enough to start checking. I'd guess around 30" Moisture content. Pretty close to the same weight as your log. I bent the 3/8" mounting plate on the winch getting that one up -- and I had to take a couple of breaks to let my arms rest before I got it up there.

NOTE: I found that dumping soapy water onto the bed rails before I tried to turn the log made a big difference.

OlJarhead

I did this one about 5 years ago....it was 36" at the butt end but had enough taper to get it down to 24ish at the other end....it was heavy and we had to use a tractor to help load it (seen here)....

Loading a 450bf Pine onto the mill - YouTube
We just couldn't do it at this location with the logs where they were....maybe I could get him to move the other logs and make room for the loader, then come back, set up and have him assist the mill on the lift to get it on the bed.  Then I ought to be able to take the top off and rotate it.

Anyone think that's insane? lol

Thank You Sponsors!