iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

I still need to tear the motor down and may do that this weekend if my back allows but here is the last video in my serious (with a shout out to the FF crew -- on a side note, most of this was filmed in February and March)...
How I fixed My Sawmill Hydraulics! - YouTube
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

OK!  Here's a belated update:  The mill is still waiting on me  :( :o but luckily @Crossroads is taking over a couple customers for me!  8)

My back is the issue and it's been plaguing me for some time (if you've been reading older posts you knew that but for those that are just reading now, I was diagnosed with stenosis in the low back about 18 months ago).  However, I just learned this week that I have a bad disc that is causing all the pain (a lot of it making it difficult to sit, stand, walk or rest) and I will be getting a steriod shot (or something like that) in the spine where the disc is to reduce the inflammation in the hopes that it will help.

I'm not done ;) But definitely going to be slower this year and may not be able to continue the business end of my sawmilling this spring/summer so if I get calls, I'll be handing them off to folks that can do the work (Kevin and possibly a guy over in Yakima who's a long time subscriber to my YT channel).

If you watch today's video (not quite out yet but soon) you may even notice the way I'm talking or moving...my back was killing me but I'm too dumb or stubborn to listen to it I guess....so I'm down but not out.

With luck I'll at least manage to get the mill maintenance done this weekend and maybe even stand long enough to tear into that pump motor but I'm not promising anything LOL.

Anyhow, thanks for all the help you all provided and continue too!  It's appreciated and I can't wait to have Kevin down here and do some filming of his operation!  Should be fun bringing you all another member's operation!

Cheers

OlJarhead

A Log Deck for Your Sawmillâ€"Find Out How and Why Now! - YouTube
Got it done!  

Now with luck I'll fix the next sawmill problem, get my back sorted and out and get more milling done!  Woot!
Luckily I filmed plenty on this trip so have a few weeks of content I can work on while stoved up ;)

OlJarhead

Update:  So I do have a herniated disc but had a steroid shot in my back today which hopefully will help!

Can't wait to watch @Crossroads in action and get some video to share of his operation!

Crossroads

Should be a fun trip, thanks for the hospitality 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

OlJarhead

8)
The shot in the back appears to be working!  Almost instant relief!

Here's hoping it remains that way!

doc henderson

the instant relief is usually the lidocaine nerve deadener.  the steroid takes a few day and is what will last 2 weeks to two years, depending on what the problem is.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

OlJarhead

Good point.  They did tell me that but boy it's been nice having a couple days of 99% less pain!

I learned that I have stenosis, a herniated disc and facet referral pain (which I assumed was caused by the disc but the doc said I had three different issues all requiring different treatments).

Truthfully, as a busted up old jarhead, I am used to pain for the most part but man this disc had me down for the count.  

But it means I get to see Kevin work and learn a thing or two!   :D  Can't wait actually.

OlJarhead

What the???

Now that's a sight!  @crossroads 

OlJarhead

https://youtu.be/ZfIP-XBqnFI
Meanwhile I was able to get some milling done before the mill and my back stopped me 😉

OlJarhead

Crossroads

It was a good time, glad to have finally met you and your wife!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

OlJarhead

Was great to meet up finally!  We'll have to do it again, but maybe when I can walk better 😉

OlJarhead

Alright!  The LAST log before I gave up (again)...now with my back maybe healing I hope to tear into the issue soon!  But here's the last log...
Can I Keep My Sawmill Up and Running? #woodmizer #lt40 #sawmilling - YouTube

OlJarhead

My back is finally feeling MUCH better and I will be working on the mill this weekend (finally!).  I am super hopeful I can put all the suggestions together, plus what I had in mind, and get it running nicely again (instead of puking out black smoke).  I'll also be doing a live for the early risers and overseas folks in the AM (check out YT).

The plan for this weekend is to change the oil and filter, add seafoam to the fuel, change the plugs and air filters and fire it up.  If it is still unhappy I'll start looking at grounds to make sure they are all good.  Then, if not, I'll have to do more research as one viewer mentioned adjusting the valves which seemed a strange idea since it's an OHV engine and all previous OHV engines I've worked on were cam to follower to valve stem...but I'll look at all possibilities.

doc henderson

the seafoam can smell funny (bad) and make a white smoke.  at high concentration to really clean, it may run rougher for a while as it un-junks stuff.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

OlJarhead

Thanks Doc!  Appreciate that.

And FYI -- the shot in the back is finally working!  Took almost 3 weeks before I could completely lose the cane!  Of course, I still have the issue with the Stenosis but at least I can finally pull the band off the mill, clean it up and do some maintenance!

On a side note, I'm working on editing the first of a series of videos I filmed while @Crossroads was here pitch hitting for me!  Should be fun as I had 4 and 5 cameras running at times :D

rusticretreater

Change the fuel filter too.  If you can, look down the carb throat while its running and see if the fuel is just spilling out.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

OlJarhead

rusticretreater

oh, then you might have dripping fuel injectors.  Of course the plugs could also show you which cylinder is the problem.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

fluidpowerpro

I was the one that mentioned checking the valves. The last one I did was a Subaru EH72. After adjusting the valves it started much faster and sounded stronger.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

OlJarhead

Ahhh thanks!  I seemed to be losing my mind lol

I WILL be checking everything I can as I need the mill running ASAP.  I have jobs need doing and since my back is again working I should be able to at least get these jobs done and the mill back to the cabin to finish off the log deck.

Thankfully Kevin bought me some time with the last two jobs but the next one is a gratis job for a family friend so I really want to do it - he's a neat old woodworker whom I met 20 years ago.

OlJarhead

Quote from: fluidpowerpro on June 02, 2023, 10:55:57 AM
I was the one that mentioned checking the valves. The last one I did was a Subaru EH72. After adjusting the valves it started much faster and sounded stronger.
You must be Will! I'll try to remember that.  I usually try to associate my FF viewers with their nicks on FF but must admit I often get mixed up! lol need to make a meet up so I can remember better!  Kevin and I have spoken several times so he's easy to remember :D  Michael I can't remember his nick here LOL but then we spoke several times on the phone...I'm kinda bad that way but eventually get it right ;)

fluidpowerpro

Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Thank You Sponsors!