iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Merry Christmas from Wood-Mizer

Started by Buck_Saw, December 20, 2001, 05:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck_Saw

I recently sent Randy Panko at Wood-Mizer an  e mail requesting information on Wood-Mizer double hard blades. I received a prompt reply and yesterday I checked the mail and found a note from the post office to pick up a parcel. My wife snatched it away from me saying that it was for a parcel she had ordered for me for Christmas ( likely from Cabelas, I think).
Much to her dismay it was a box of two double hard blades from Wood-Mizer Canada. I was plesantly suprised to say the least and can't wait to try them.
I almost feel guilty for buying a Enercraft. Almost. If the double hard blades are as good as they say they are, I know where I'll be buying my blades.

Tom

It's kind of neat being a pampered customer, isn't it.  Few companies do it anymore and fewer yet even know how.

I recently bought batteries from a big outfit that was lucky to have the mechanic they have.  He saw me pull up in the parking lot with "Class D" batteries in the back of the truck, ran out and said, "can I help you?" He removed the batteries from my truck, sold me new ones and carried them to the truck for me, smiling all the way, shook my hand, said 'Happy Halloween" and went back to work, singing to himself as he crossed the parking lot.  It took about 10 minutes, not typical for a Sam's Club

Needless to say, I felt compelled to call the manager and brag on him when I got home. "That was Bill", he said. The manager was proud.

I went back yesterday with a battery in the back of the truck and parked in the same place. Nobody around.

I went inside and got a cart, went back and got the battery, took it inside, found the battery I needed and took it to the counter. After waiting for about 15 minutes while the "clerks" finished their chat, I had my money taken.  "where do you want me to put this old battery", I asked?  

"We don't want it", he said. and turned to talk to the other clerk again.

"Were's Bill", I asked.

"Who?  Never heard of him."

I carried my batteries back to the truck, loaded them up and left.

I guess, as well meaning as a company intends to be, it still all boils down to how good of an employee they managed to procure.

Randy's a good guy and WM has been really lucky that they have been able to find good people like him.  They also realize it and try to keep them.  

I used to remember the names of the Customer Service guys I did business with there in the early 90's, who impressed me,  but my memory fails me now.  One I remember because of his name, Burl, you know, like the bump on a log :D  He had quit at one point to start his own sawing business and had returned.  I asked Kevin Corder, another WM employee member of our forum, if Burl was still there.  To my surprise he is.  It's a good company, has good people and their market growth proves it.

swampwhiteoak

Didn't take the battery?

I've never heard of a place that wouldn't take a used battery.  They usually give me grief if I don't have a used one to turn in.  I have little tolerance for lazy or stupid employees.  A store might get my business once, but I won't be back.

Woodmizer sounds like they're doing their business right, and keeping the customers happy.  That's the only way to long-term repeat business.

Randy

Hey Guys n Gals:

I appreciate your warm comments.  But it's not me that has made WM the company they are.  See, it's really our customers and folks like you all that had confidence in us and invested your businesses in us that has developed our company.

And that's what motivates us to find new products and means to add value to your lumber and business.  Let's find ways of turning your waste into heat, power, and electricity!  How can we get timber out of the forests without tearing everything up?

I wish you all the most pleasant and blessed of holidays that one can enjoy.  I'm leaving the urban sprawl for a few days and going back to the beautiful country of northwestern PA and get the stink "blowed" off me. I'll be sawing with my dad's LT15 on the ranch and going around his forest hauling out the timber that ran it's course and needs harvested.  But I hear the lake effect snow is coming so maybe it'll be four wheelers and snowmobiles!

Thank you all for your business and support,

Randy      ;)

stickbilt

I e-mailed Woodmizer about getting some info on there bandmills. I got it in the mail within a week. Then I sent for their business profitability literature and got it in a week. When I read that Woodmizer hasn't competed in the last couple of years in The Great Portable Sawmill Shootout in Maine, I e-mailed them asking why they haven't competed in the contest. NO REPLY >:( Is this a sore subject for Woodmizer or for other sawmill manufacturers? I wonder if they feel it is too risky if they don't win there division.

I had asked a bunch of questions in the e-mail and WAS still leaning towards buying Woodmizer. I think I'm going to look at all of the bandmill manufacturers before I shell out any hard-earned $. Does anyone have any information on this?

woodmills1

it is my understanding that the rules were changed after woodmizer won the first shoot out.  i think at first the setup time was part of the contest.  i have not run any other brands but would buy WM again.  good machine, good company.  i heard that one of their early models was built all aluminum in separate pieces to be back packed into bush country.  who gets to be the lucky one to carry the engine. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

I don't know why a company would do something like a shootout when the final outcome of the day might boil down to the fact that perhaps the sawyer had the flu and performed poorly so someone with an inferior machine won some bragging rights.

Now, I could invision Woodmizer having a shootout that put other woodmizer sawyers against each other in a competition on identical saws where the sawyer is the variable.

If your selling a quality product be it Woodmizer or something else, I would think its smart to let it speak for itself and leave the brand comparison to the consumer.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

I've had conversations with people at Wood-Mizer that were involved in this competition.  Their comments centered around they felt that there was a lot more to consider in the purchase and owning of a mill other then who could throw sawdust on the ground the fastest - like, quality, ease of use, design features, accuracy, product safety, durability, research and development, customer support,  training, re-sale value,  and company commitment to the product, customer, and industry as a whole.  

Every year I've seen posting praising the winner in one category or another and they have used the victory as a major consideration in their purchase.  While the competition may be exciting, entertaining and provide a view of many of the mills at one location,  I think it would be like picking a Ford over a Dodge or Chevy because it won the Talladega 500.

Wood-Mizer did bring in teams of real Wood-Mizer owners of all size mills.

Here is a link to the Wood-Mizer website that speaks about the Shootout and offers information on their Summer Sawing Showdown.  I think they would be happy to tell you about these results.

http://www.woodmizer.com/domino/html/woodmizer/woodmizer.nsf/Web+Pages/proof+Content?OpenDocument

By the way,  I just placed an order today for a 2002 model LT40HDE25-RA Super with CommandControl (includes Accuset and AutoClutch) and debarker.  Mary's Christmas gift will come in the middle of January but she is very pleased.  

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kevin

Way to go Bib but you forgot the drink holder and umbrella for shade.
That`s a nice piece of equipment!

stickbilt

Thanks for the input guys.
 I have heard that in a moto-cross racing you could put the best rider on any of the bikes and he would win. Honda,Suzuki,Yamaha.... Ford, Chevy, Dodge....Woodmizer, Timberking, Baker ect...  If this was true, maybe price and service would be the deciding factor. I tend to be an impulse shopper on a lot of things but a sawmill is going to require some homework. That's what you guys are for. :D

Still leaning towards WM

woodmills1

ya know ya just reminded me to order the rebuild kit for the hydraulic pump motor.  supposed to last 1000 and i am at 1900.  i bet if i order tomorrow i will get merry christmas and parts before new year. ;D ;D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Frank_Pender

You know, guys, i like your yarns and chti chat about your "Woodmizers", but I got to tell ya that I sure do find myself in-love with my Mobile Dimension Sawmills (2).  theyb sure cut the lumber for me.  I can produce better that 2,000 bd. ft. a day whe I stay at it.  That is about $475 for soft woods and on hardwoods I am talking a bit over $525 a eight hour day.    I have no hired hands to help off-bare the lumber as the mill does that for me.   Anyway, A very happy holiday for everyone, outside the "circle sawmill" world too.  from a Mobile Dimension Sawmill owner. 8) 8) 8) 8) :)
Frank Pender

stickbilt

Hey Frank,
Do you have any pictures of that mill or do you know of any sites that I could check one out. I can't visualize what you have there.   Thanks, Stickbilt

Tom

Frank,

I'm not that familiar with Mobile Dimension and sure would like to see one in operation, even if it were in pictures.  Have you got any?  That could show how you use the mill and how you have it set up.  Trying to figure out how someone operates from verbage is hard when I'm not accustomed to circle mills.  Well, I've seen plenty but it seems they are all run so differently.  Funny how one spinnig sawblade can be treated so differently by so many different people.

Jeff

I'd like to see some up close pics too. Someday this ole work for somebody else sawyer might start sawing for fun. And the info I get from this board will have a direct effect on my decision making.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

No Kevin,  Wood-Mizer didn't have a drink holder option.  I think that will have to be an after-market add-on.  Mary already has a sawshed with electricity,  fan, refrigerator, etc.  

She (being vertically challenged) did ask if the Command Control station was adjustable for height.  I told her I'd build her a box to stand on.

She's already sketching and planning about 30x50 addition to the sawshed and wanting me to check out conveyors, log decks, etc.

It's hard to keep a good woman happy! ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

nice place bibyman, mind if i save the picture and cheat your design? :P much buildin i has ta do.  how do you move the logs on those nice stacks closer.  only guessin but the slabs go on something that moves and dumps.  :-*

Scott_R

Randy's reference to waste being turned into electricity and heat woudl seem to be a hint about a stirling cycle powered generator. I sure hope so. It would be just what I am looking for. How about it Randy? Can you discuss it, or is it still under wraps?  Scott

Thank You Sponsors!