iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peavey

Started by mesquite buckeye, February 27, 2013, 09:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Hey Jeff- Have you ever talked  to the Peavey Co. about being a sponser for FF? I just got one of their peaveys. Super nice folks, and one of the best wooden handled tools I've ever gotten. Tight grain, perfectly straight, perfect grain alignment with the tool. I don't think I've seen such a well made wooden handled tool since I bought my Plumb double bit axe 35 years ago. Just a thought.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

That is the one from Maine  ;D  right?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

buckeye
:D :D
Are you serious?   
Do you know about Logrite?
There's a treasure hunt that you can go off on........... to discover and learn about the Logrite tools.
(I'll skip the multitude of smilley's  hehe)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: beenthere on February 27, 2013, 12:18:18 PM
buckeye
:D :D
Are you serious?   
Do you know about Logrite?
There's a treasure hunt that you can go off on........... to discover and learn about the Logrite tools.
(I'll skip the multitude of smilley's  hehe)

I know. I hear they are fabulous. I wish they made a peavey one size bigger for spinning those big mesquite logs out here. Peavey makes a 5 1/2 foot.

I just like wood handles, even though they can break, etc. Just like the feel. Rehandled my old Plumb axehead yesterday in hickory. Maybe I'm just nostalgic. It is nice to see an American company that first made a product, still makes it well and is still in business 155 years later and hasn't been bought out. I think that is a rare thing anymore. I buy my picks and prybars from another really old company still going since the mid-late 1800's in West Virginia, Warwood Tools. Also really good people. :) :) :) 8) 8) :snowball:

thecfarm

Ask and you shall receive. Here's a 78 incher for ya,from logrite.    logrite_cool      logrite_cool

http://www.logrite.com/store/Category/Xtreme-Duty-Cant-Hooks
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

If I could not roll it with that 78 inch model, I'd be looking for mechanized tools.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: thecfarm on February 27, 2013, 01:39:51 PM
Ask and you shall receive. Here's a 78 incher for ya,from logrite.    logrite_cool      logrite_cool

http://www.logrite.com/store/Category/Xtreme-Duty-Cant-Hooks

Cool, but I like peaveys, you can stick them in the ground so they don't get lost or driven over....

mesquite buckeye

Think they would make one? ??? ??? 8) 8) 8)

I would buy it.

Jeff

Peavey has no chance to be sponsor here. They don't have enough money. They could give me the company, and I'd give it to logrite to do with as they wish. Logrite has my total loyalty, but more so, Kevin and Tammy are my friends, friends of the forum, and have a whole lot to do with the forum being the place it is today. So again, no. I have never considered it and never will.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

I would call them about the peavey. I prefer a peavey too. Never hurts to ask.

lumberjack48

I liked a peavey on the landing for the guys to get their saw unstuck, you can stick it down between the trees to pry with.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on February 27, 2013, 01:47:02 PM

Cool, but I like peaveys, you can stick them in the ground so they don't get lost or driven over....

This is no joke....I have driven over my Logrite several times with a BIG LOG on the forks of my backhoe.
It won't hurt it. I just got it muddy.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Here is what your wooden handled peavey will someday look like.

But your Logrite.....Well it will still be a Logrite.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Wow......got some miles board feet on that one.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mesquite buckeye

I don't leave mine out in the weather. :)

Stinny

Buckeye... I just had the opportunity to get over to Eddington about 2 months ago and stopped in at Peavey Mfg. Their showroom takes you back 100 years with all of their wood handle tools on display. I wanted a Timberjack that was made by the same American company that created the peavey way back when. I know there are all kinds of companies that sell their versions. I too really like the wood handle and the simplicity of the tool. Enjoyed the trip there a lot. 
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

mesquite buckeye

The tool says in business since 1858.

Very impressive durability.

Stinny

The company employs a lot of woods related jobs here in Maine which are badly needed. Can't imagine anyone on this forum thinking that's a bad thing. The yard at Peavey is always kept full of ash logs (and others probably) cut by local loggers. And the company itself has quite a few folks making the tools. It's a great American success story. Could use a lot more of em...
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

Maine372

people don't know how to care for wooden handled tools, thus the condition of the peavey pictured. I buy many many tool handles from peavey and I hate to say this, but even they don't know how to properly care for a wooden handled tool.

never put varnish or laquer or poly on a tool handle. ever. I buy handles and peavey and the sand all the finish off! then properly fit it to the tool. this is best done beside the woodstove in January so the wood is as dry as possible. then soak it in linseed oil. I drill a hole in the end of the handle and fill with more linseed oil. stand it up in the corner and leave it there for a couple days. the oil in the hole will soak into the wood. keep filling the hole until it wont hold any more. the plug the hole so the oil in it stays. sand lightly to remove and buildup from the oil.

I have handles that have are approaching ten years in use I prepared this way. they get used in the rain, sun, snow, heat, cold, etc. they will not stand up to being left out in the weather, but nothing will.

sorry for the rant. im a bit of a traditionalist with my wooden handled tools. hope someone learned something from it.

Sonofman

Thank you for your 'rant'. Since God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth, seems we should listen at least twice as much as we talk. I just kept mine shut and learned something about wood tool handles and their care. Thank you Maine372.
Located due west of Due West.

Jeff

QuoteI buy many many tool handles from peavey

I have never had to buy another handle for a logrite.

Quotethey will not stand up to being left out in the weather, but nothing will.

A logrite will.

Quoteim a bit of a traditionalist

Why would you use the computer to tell us then when you must have a perfectly good pencil and a stamp?  ;)

Don't you guys get it?? This topic was started with the question to me about peavey being a sponsor. They are not. Logrite is. They help pay the bills that let you frequent this forum.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Good points all, Jeff. 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Yo Jeff. I think Logrite is going to make me a giant peavey.... Thought you'd like to know.

SwampDonkey

Logrite is well designed and well made. I have purchased 3 and gave one as a door prize at an annual meeting of our local woodlot organization. A peavey can see some rough use. The wooden ones we always had were always getting broke from turning logs or being tossed around or laying in the bed of a truck. When your busy putting up wood, you just don't always think of being extra nice to your peavey and soon your looking for a new handle. A wooden handled hammer looks nice to, but if your using one any amount it's nice to be able to pull a nail and not here 'snap'. I have had a steel handled hammer for 25 years. ;)

Mom's uncle made wooden tool handles from hornbeam. My uncle split a lot of stove wood by hand with an axe. Mom's uncle accused him of busting the handle by over shooting the wood block and hitting the handle wood. Not true. When you split wood, it doesn't all slab up nice like clear white birch. It is jagged and it chews at your handle as the head goes down into the split. Just no way around it unless you use a mechanical wood splitter. ;)

Logrite has it right when it comes to their tools.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!