iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another find. Jack in the pulpit

Started by Jeff, June 22, 2022, 07:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Had no idea these grew here until I stumbled on a patch just 50 yards down from the cabin.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Where there is one there are more!!!
I have some in the wife's herb bed. I try to keep it wet for the Jack.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wisconsitom

Funny, my wife's transplanted some trilliums and Jack in the pulpits in a little patch in our yard which I too water when dry.  Cool plants.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Don P

There was one in my pic of mayapples. On the other face of that hill there are trilliums, trout lilly, bloodroot. When you mentioned the wind there last week, I've got a big oak to clean up after that, I believe, same wind. From the time of year and the way it blew up my mind went to Durecho. I think it was just a mini one.

newoodguy78

From the pictures, is that in the area you had mulched? Pushed out and cleaned up a section of hedgerow between two fields this winter, was totally infested with impenetrable bittersweet and multiflora rose. No idea when the soil had actually seen daylight last. Come spring the trilliums that came in were incredible all different colors. 
It's amazing what is in the soil just waiting for the right conditions to bloom. 
Those are really cool looking plants. 

wisconsitom

Seen that too @newoodguy 78, and great point.

When I was working, we'd often clear areas of even bad invasives, like the buckthorn I was talking about above, to see surprising numbers of good natives still present, and able to rebound.  (Note, I think the stuff Jeff mulched was most likely not invasive, just willows and such).
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Jeff

Mulching was mostly tag alder, and this was near an old stone pile that was avoided within the mulched area
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

kantuckid

We have a small woodland slope created using soil from the forest and in a heavily shaded area at the end of our LR. I transplanted many native wild plants there and most all have remained to reproduce. Jack in The Pulpit was there for ~4-5 years then disappeared but was happy while there. I found my "Jack" among Mayapples near a year round wet branch slope.
 Yellow lady Slippers, Showy Orchis, Wild Oat, Blood Root, Wild geranium various ferns and Wild Iris, all (and more) flourish there. Lily of the Valley moved in on it's own and tough to keep control of in there.
Wife plants Impatiens along the edges in spring. Interestingly, those reproduce by the hundreds around our house when only a few years back they were hard to buy as bedding plants because of some disease issue? Now they've gone zonkers. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!