iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry helmet vs arborist helmet

Started by PoginyHill, June 13, 2021, 08:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoginyHill

I have always worn a Husqvarna or Stihl type helmet with screen face shield and ear muffs using a chainsaw. But they've always had one quirk or another - visor doesn't stay down well, head adjustment etc... and generally not very comfortable. I've noticed arborist helmets that seem (maybe because of necessity) to be more comfortable, although a chin strap could be annoying. They are pricey, but I'm willing to part with a few dollars in exchange for more comfort. I'm not aware of any safety tradeoffs going to an arborist helmet. But I do understand that a "ground" helmet system is not suitable for a climbing arborist. I do not climb trees, so all my chainsaw work is on the ground. Any opinions of one type versus another?
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

dgdrls

I have a Petzl with the snap-on ear protection.  The suspension system is very adjustable
making a comfortable fit easier.  The face shield is available too.

Bottom line if its not comfortable you're less likely to wear it.

Shop the systems a bit.

D

mike_belben

i have a petzl vertex vent climbers helmet with the 3m eye and ear system.. it all just snaps in.  i put a new face screen on it a few months ago.  came from baileys. comfy, good suspension, chinstrap doesnt bother me unless i have a big beard getting pinched now and then. everything snaps in and out, parts are available and the vents open and close. 

only one i ever had so i cant compare it to any others. 
Praise The Lord

teakwood

Pfanner Protos Helmet | TreeStuff

best helmet ever, no need for the chin straps, you remove them
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Tin Horse

I'll second the Phanner. Fully adjustable and all components replaceable. Got mine with clear and tinted glasses. Earmuffs retractable. Vented for hot weather. Breaks down easily for cleaning. For me it is the most comfortable I've ever worn. Pay once. 8)
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Old Greenhorn

A fella I Know has the Protos and I had a look at it. Really nice hat, a little funky looking, but who cares? I really like the stow away ears, very nice not catching on things and the fit and finish are quite nice. I didn't know you could get clear shields, that's nice too.
 I am not a pro and don't really need something that high end. I switch between muff and ear plugs depending on weather and mood or workload. I can't stand flip ups because they catch everything. I have enough trouble with the face shield. I use a full brim with an add on shield and separate back of the neck ear muffs or plugs.
 That Protos is a nice helmet and the chip strap is usually just used by climbers because dropping a helmet can put a real hurtin' on the ground guy. ;D Not needed for ground work. I put a strap on my hat for just some odd occasions, but rarely use it. Should have had it on when I widow maker caught me in the forehead and knocked the hat 20 feet away.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old saw fixer

+1 for the Pfanner Protos.  I think the only difference between the forestry and arborist models is the chinstrap.  Mine is orange and yellow so I will be easy to find!
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Andries

+2 for the Pfanner.
Adjustable, light and comfortable. 
The visor tips up close to the top of the helmet, so it's not banging the roof of the loader. Vents open and close for winter/summer use. Worth the $$.
But the biggest game changer is a communication option. A forester out felling may be working a buddy system, with a buddy doing his work a few hundred meters away. Comms might not be needed. However, an arborist usually works with a crew, the ground crew in the climbers danger/drop zone. A good communication system has the entire 3 or 5 man crew talking to each other as the job progresses. Microphone noise cancelling technology has made big advances: I can be bucking the trunk of a huge elm with the ms660 running full throttle and ask the new guy to start up the chipper and brink fuel and oil for the saw when he returns. No yelling or baseball hand signals, just voice and a bit of machine noise in the background. A techie miracle!
The savings in sweat, effort and time is huge - I'll bet they pay for themselves in a year or two.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

PoginyHill

Great info. Thanks everyone. Think I'll pull the trigger on the Pfanner. (I ordered some Pfanner chainsaw pants months ago from TreeStuff. Still on backorder). Clear shield is interesting, but didn't see it anywhere as an option or accessory.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Old saw fixer

Try looking for Pfanner in clothing and safety.  The clear visor is there .
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Walnut Beast

Quote from: PoginyHill on June 14, 2021, 08:15:07 AM
Great info. Thanks everyone. Think I'll pull the trigger on the Pfanner. (I ordered some Pfanner chainsaw pants months ago from TreeStuff. Still on backorder). Clear shield is interesting, but didn't see it anywhere as an option or accessory.
Did you get the helmet? And pants ? Do you like them?

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Andries on June 13, 2021, 10:38:15 AM
+2 for the Pfanner.
Adjustable, light and comfortable.
The visor tips up close to the top of the helmet, so it's not banging the roof of the loader. Vents open and close for winter/summer use. Worth the $$.
But the biggest game changer is a communication option. A forester out felling may be working a buddy system, with a buddy doing his work a few hundred meters away. Comms might not be needed. However, an arborist usually works with a crew, the ground crew in the climbers danger/drop zone. A good communication system has the entire 3 or 5 man crew talking to each other as the job progresses. Microphone noise cancelling technology has made big advances: I can be bucking the trunk of a huge elm with the ms660 running full throttle and ask the new guy to start up the chipper and brink fuel and oil for the saw when he returns. No yelling or baseball hand signals, just voice and a bit of machine noise in the background. A techie miracle!
The savings in sweat, effort and time is huge - I'll bet they pay for themselves in a year or two.
Great info. Do you have the safety glass/sunglass insert ?. On the communication system does it only work with another helmet system?

OddInTheForrest

+3 for the helmet. Its awesome. Ive had mine for a year, just love it. Had to get a different insert for it, to fit my head, apart from that, its really nice. As far as communication goes, I got a motorbike intercom, Sena SMH10. Fits really easily, connects to my phone, and has intercom and noisedampening features. And came in at 90USD, a cheap price for here in norway.

PoginyHill

Sorry, @Walnut Beast , I guess I missed your Jan 1 post.
YES - I've been using my Pfanner helmet since summer and love it. Very comfortable, easily adjustable (wearing a welding hat or balaclava vs nothing), and ear muffs work well. (I see my wife's lips move, but can't make out what she's yelling  ;D). I ditched the helmet straps as I rarely find myself upside-down. But I think it would still be on my head.

Pant's finally arrived (maybe September). I found them a little warm in the fall, so I didn't use them much. But I never tried the zippered vents on the back of the legs - that might make a difference. Been using them in colder weather. So much better than chaps - less bulky. Can easily move around the woods and snow without getting chaps hooked on every branch I walk by or over. In the most recent cold weather (single digits (F), I like to avoid chainsaw work in sub-zero temps - thankfully my livelihood doesn't depend on that!), I put insulated coveralls over the pants and still very easy to get around.

In milder weather I use lightweight coveralls (avoids me needing heavy jackets and keeps pitch and dirt at bay.) Love my collection of coveralls.

I was wearing the Pfanners around the house this past weekend and wife says, "are those your chainsaw pants? Are they THAT comfortable?" Yes, they are.

lshobie

I have the Protos and it is ok, the sweatband is vinyl so in the summer it just drips drips into your face, I use mine a lot and ive notices that the mounts for the earmuffs are getting sloppy.

That being said I bought the Stihl Bluetooth helmet and it is complete garbage for the price - broke already - the earmuff mounts are cheap plastic.

John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

Andries

@Walnut Beast I missed your question too, apologies.
" Great info. Do you have the safety glass/sunglass insert ?. On the communication system does it only work with another helmet system?" 
I've stayed with the screen mesh visor cause it won't fog up the way a plastic lens visor would. On a cold day, my breath will freeze on the mesh a bit, but that'll happen down low on the mesh, where it doesn't matter much.
We got the Sena comms system and it works out really well. When we're doing tree work, five guys can be making game calls to keep things coordinated. On one tree job, a home owner was watching us take out five dead oaks on his property and didn't realize we had the microphones under the visor mesh. He was amazed at how well we worked together as a team and wondered if we figured out how to mind-read each other.  🤫 
My son has rigged up the same comms system for Peltor ear muffs (no helmet) for when we're both on loaders. We built a property wide berm at his place and the comms system saves so much hand signals and yelling and mis-communicado.
Snow removal (him on the Trackless blower, me on the loader w bucket) goes much better too.
Picking a comms system is a bit like picking a cordless tool brand. We like the Senna after doing a bunch of reviews and sniffing them over. . . and I don't think the different brands talk to each other. That may have changed recently, idk?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Walnut Beast

Thanks for the feedback guys! Andries on the flashlight do you like it or would you get it again ? As the mount has to be installed by them I was told. Thanks 

Andries

I only have the comms attach point at the back of my helmet.
No light attachments over here.
Maybe someone else posted that?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

PoginyHill

Protos helmet and Pfanner chainsaw pants under the coveralls.  A year ago you would have seen chaps over the coveralls. This is much more comfortable.

Andries

That is a great idea, going to give that a try soon.
I've got the 'Ventilator' version of the Gladiator pants, and man, they're cheek chillers when it's cold out!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

John Mc

Those of you who have used the Pfanner pants (especially the Pfanner Ventilation Pants), have you found the waist sizes run true to size? From their size chart, the mediums should fit me perfectly, but some reviews have said they fit snug, and to go up a waist size. Going from a 36 up to a 38.5" waist just seems as though it would be far to baggy to me. What has been your experience?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

PoginyHill

I normally wear 30 or 32" waist pants (Dickies, Levi's, Carhartt). The small Pfanner ventilation pants fit well. If anything, maybe a bit big. If I didn't wear a belt, they would probably slip down my hip more than I would like. But I think Xsmall would be too tight for me.

Andries

I normally wear 36 and the Pfanners fit well.
The suspenders they make to go with the pants are well worth adding to your order as well. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

John Mc

Quote from: Andries on January 20, 2022, 07:15:22 PM
I normally wear 36 and the Pfanners fit well.
The suspenders they make to go with the pants are well worth adding to your order as well.
Was that the medium size Pfanners or the large?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Andries

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!