iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The trouble with knots

Started by squarpeg, November 19, 2021, 10:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squarpeg

Any advice welcome. I have mostly cut white pine, but now I am into a whole grove of really knotty eastern hemlock. It is also getting very cold freezing at night. The other day I was cutting 2x6's and they were really a sad bunch of wavey crap. Going to have to run them through a joiner or table saw. Around each knot I get a blade dive or rise. Tried tightening the blade, check the guides. New blades run better but I am burning through them. Not long before the wave returns. What is best procedure? 

WV Sawmiller

What blade profile are you running? I'd suggest 4* hook angle any time you have very hard wood even if it is just knots between very soft wood. Many of us have the same problem with spruce, hemlock, etc.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

I agree, drop your hook angle. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Patrick NC

If I remember correctly you have a norwood hd36.  Are you still using the ceramic guides? If so I suggest switching to roller guides. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

moodnacreek

Frozen hemlock knots have been compared to a mother in law's heart.

Bruno of NH

My 2 cents
Did some ugly Hemlock yesterday 
Had to switch to a turbo 7 in .055 nice and flat cuts.
My next choice would be .050 frost notch bands but are out of stock for a couple more weeks.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

DMcCoy

My sympathies, I hate hard knots.
For me I resharpen my blades about twice as often(7 deg.).  It makes sense that hard knots will dull the teeth quicker.  Never tried 4 deg, but that makes sense.

moosehunter

Another vote for 4°. It works for me.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

DesertHobo

I tried 7's in the ugly spruce my neighbor wanted cut up, had way better results using a 10 degree bimetal blade. If I was cutting it more often, I'd give the four degree a shot as so many others are suggesting.
Also, as Patrick suggested, give the roller guides a shot if you're able.

squarpeg

I am running a kasco 10 degree blade at the moment. With the ceramic guides. Not sure norwood has a roller guide option will look into it. Also see if I can get a 4 degree blade. Is that a specialty blade? Been buying from SE metals have to call and see if they offer it.  Thanks

PC-Urban-Sawyer

A lot of people have put Cooks roller guides in place of the ceramics on the Norwoods...

47sawdust

I've only been sawing for 14 years.I was totally confused by all the blade choices.When I started using the 4° blade my blade confusion went away. I still have plenty of other confusion though.
I have an LT30 with a 24 hp Honda.I saw pine,hemlock and the dreaded knotty spruce.Sometimes frozen.
I have the best luck with the spruce sawing when frozen.
I don't use any other blade now.Mine are also WM blades
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Patrick NC

Quote from: squarpeg on November 21, 2021, 05:52:35 PM
I am running a kasco 10 degree blade at the moment. With the ceramic guides. Not sure norwood has a roller guide option will look into it. Also see if I can get a 4 degree blade. Is that a specialty blade? Been buying from SE metals have to call and see if they offer it.  Thanks
Norwood has a direct bolt on roller guide kit for the hd36. Its what I have on mine. My Norwood hates 10 degree blades. I use 7s for everything. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Thank You Sponsors!