iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tire Patch or Plug?

Started by Gary_C, January 13, 2022, 01:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

Took my skid loader out yesterday and cleaned up a little patch of drifted snow by the house. As I was about to put it away I noticed a front tire was low and in fact it came off the rim slightly. So I aired it up and saw a screw sticking out from between the tire lugs. I have always taken the tires off the rim and put a patch on the inside of the tire (tubeless) when I found a leak like this but I'm getting too old for tire work even though I have all the tools from bead breakers, tire irons, rim lube and even a bead blaster tank. 

So my question is do those plugs work OK for skid loader tires or is it better to do all the work of dismounting and patching?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

Gary_C

Give a plug a go, and if it works then you are golden. If not, I'd remove the wheel and drop it off at a tire shop to patch inside. That would be me.  
Know the feeling of wrestling tires and had a go-around with four wagon wheel tires last summer. Was a long drawn out affair, but in the end have four new tires on four new rims. 
Fell into that rabbit hole one bit at a time. If I'd only known, would have jumped right away at new.. 

Good luck.. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ventryjr

I have tracks on my skid steer but have used tire plugs in tractors, atv, trucks and trailers with out issue. I'd give it a whirl.   If Walmart is close to you they will dismount for $7.   Patch the hole in parking lot and remount for $7 more.  Might be worth the wrestling.  
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

chevytaHOE5674

One of my skid steer tires has about 10 plugs in it from smashing down a house about 7 years ago. Holding up just fine. 

moodnacreek

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on January 13, 2022, 07:59:24 AM
One of my skid steer tires has about 10 plugs in it from smashing down a house about 7 years ago. Holding up just fine.
Me too, plug away.

Raider Bill

I use mushroom plugs for the few times I've had a flat. 
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

treemuncher

I grew up in my father's gas station. Plugging tires was a daily event and we rarely had any leaks. I've plugged everything from semi tires to motorcycle tires to lawn mower tires, all with excellent results IF the hole is not too large to hold the plug. Inside patches are the best repair but take a lot more labor to install. 

I've also found another product to minimize tire issues that has been working well over the past 10+ years. It's called Amerseal and unlike Slime (very corrosive product), it won't damage rims or tires. I used to have to check tires every 2 weeks on my tag trailer and often plug holes. Since I put on 8 new tires on that trailer, I put Amerseal in all 8 of them and now only check my tires once or twice a year, other than thump checking. I've saved countless hours of tire maintenance with a product that automatically seals any small punctures. I've used it in tube and tubeless tires from heavy equipment, motorcycles, lawn mowers and everything in between with excellent results. My time is worth more than the cost of the product and when averaged out over 5 years, it's a no brainer. I've always got a 5 gal pail of it on hand at the shop.

This is the best place I've found to get it: https://qualityfarmsupply.com/products/amerseal-tire-sealant-5-gal?_pos=1&_sid=2d93a7d30&_ss=r
TreeMuncher.com  Where only the chosen remain standing

kantuckid

I prefer coated string plugs and I would plug it.
 Many motorcycle riders have the Stop & Go kits-I just don't like that style plug, but it's only an opinion. Some riders/drivers won't ride or drive on a plug at all, for that matter, also an opinion.  
 That said, two years ago with a leaky PU truck tire that had been inside patched at home but near the area near to the tread edge where it was sort of dicey to do so. It had functioned well for 4-5,000 miles then decided to become a leak overnight spot. On the road in FL towing, I paid for a plug job twice, neither was good, one a string, one a round mushroom plug, I was at a tire dealer in Ocala and that guy had a newer style rubber strings that used a chemical that swelled the rubber which was sq cross section, not round rubber or coated string. It worked for only a couple days then I was able to buy a new tire at a Walmart.
On tractors I've had string plugs last for years.
All insertion tools are not suitable, use a pro tool. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Raider Bill

This is what I use.
Stop & Go 1000 Pocket Tubeless Tire Plugger Repair Kit Complete with Plugs Amazon.com: Stop & Go 1000 Pocket Tubeless Tire Plugger Repair Kit Complete with Plugs : Automotive
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sawguy21

I have plugged a few tires as a temporary measure but had them properly patched as soon as possible. I don't trust plugs on the highway and won't bust truck tires no more. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Gary_C

After doing my research during a couple of nice days I went and bought a tire plug kit and by then it was snowing, blowing and very cold. So I paid for my procrastination plus it was not a very big screw in a 12-16.5 10 ply and I had an awful time getting that plug pushed thru the hole even after reaming the hole. It's holding so far but even in the instructions it says "temporary." Not sure if ever again.  :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

mike_belben

A bottle torch makes every day sunny for a few seconds. 
Praise The Lord

LeeB

They do say temporary but I've had plugs hold for years, some of those still doing so. I have had a couple leak and had to be re-plugged. I even have successfully plugged a larger hole with 2 plugs. I do usually put tire patch glue on them as well but don't think you have to.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

trimguy

The glue helps them slide in easier.

scsmith42

Gary, although I much prefer a patch on the inside of the tire (and will only use a patch on a highway tire), in the instance of a nail/screw hole in a heavy equipment tire I have used string type plugs with good success.

I'll ream the hole out, then use the reamer to get commercial tire patch glue through the hole, then soak the string in the glue and install it.

Napa sells some brown colored 4" long strings that I've had good success with.

If/when I have to remove the tire for any other reason (such as a leaking o-ring), I'll replace any strings with patches at that time.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

newoodguy78

I've had good luck with those brown ones from Napa as well. Some of the temporary plugs have become temporarily permanent. 

Thank You Sponsors!