iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fabtek forwarders

Started by Firewoodjoe, January 16, 2022, 07:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Just wondering if the fabtek bogie parts are still available? Were they a problem cause I seen the YouTube Michel berg put a ponsse bogie in one 3 years ago. 

chevytaHOE5674

Depends what axle is in the machine. They came with a few different thru the years. Some easy and some hard to get parts for from what I've heard.

barbender

I've seen some really long wait times, like almost 2 months, for Fabtek rear axle parts. They had to come from Germany, I was told. I got to I help pick up the sale where the Fabtek went down. 
Too many irons in the fire

Firewoodjoe

I wish a guy could still by something simple and reliable that will offer parts for many years like some old skidders. It's getting to where you have to by a technically advanced computer space gadget every 10 years. At half a million bucks. Or you can't even fix it. I see so many 10-20 year old machines sitting because they can't get one part. 

nativewolf

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on January 17, 2022, 06:41:23 AM
I wish a guy could still by something simple and reliable that will offer parts for many years like some old skidders. It's getting to where you have to by a technically advanced computer space gadget every 10 years. At half a million bucks. Or you can't even fix it. I see so many 10-20 year old machines sitting because they can't get one part.
I figure a Ponsse forwarder will do 30k hours if taken care of.  I think at that point it has done well to all the owners.  I guess there are some still out there with more.  I get some pushback for saying this but on the CTL side of things I just couldn't see going away from the big 3 (JD, Ponsse, Komatsu) just because of the support issue.  The exception would be the Iron Mules.  But all these others do what ?  save you a few dollars but then you break down and you are hosed and losing work.  Of course we are mechanically sort of inept.  But when we need a part, Ponsse has it to us quickly.  Even if air freighted in from finland.  
Call michael berg, he's a decent guy.  Ask him.  I think many of the boggies are from the same company in europe.  
Liking Walnut

chevytaHOE5674

Don't think Ponsse is any better. They used various axles and boggies thru the years some of them for a very short time and parts are unavailable.

When we blew a boggie axle in our first Ponsse Ergo there were no parts available in the US or Europe. We were left without a machine while the guys at Ponsse scratched their heads. We ended up having to buy an entire burned machine at auction that had the correct axle aasembly. We couldn't even swap to a different axle as the entire frame section was different as all the mounting was different also the gear ratios weren't the same as other variations. 

nativewolf

No kidding?  Sorry to hear that Chevy.  
Liking Walnut

BargeMonkey

I've called out to Pat's on that 546C or that 564 but again, machines that aren't made or how long will they be supported. 🤷‍♂️ Half the reason your not seeing the push to CTL out here and why guys are staying fulltree, my Jack's a 97 and I can get every factory part but a wiring harness. 
 I don't know on the Fabteks but I've been told by the Timbco guru in OH to stay away from any 840 timberpro or the earlier Timbco 8 wheelers, 840s have odd driveline and the early timbcos liked to become 2 machines quite often. 

chevytaHOE5674

Ponsses solution for us was to sell us a front and rear axle as well as half a frame section to accommodate the new axle. As well as the 40+ hours labor to split at the articulate joint, replace half the machine, then put our crane base onto the new frame.

They are as bad as anybody else. One of their former field mechanics left and works for himself now and could tell you all kinds of obsolete parts stories. From transmissions, transfer cases, axles, splitter boxes, controls, etc. They usually have a work around figured out but they get costly.

barbender

That's true on some of the older Ponsse's, Chevy. But I think parts availability is an issue for all of the Fabteks at this point. It's an issue for CTL equipment in general, it seems. Like Barge said, he can get most any part for a '97 skidder. Try that with any CTL machine.

chevytaHOE5674

For Ponsses it doesn't need to be that old, some 5 year old machines need retrofitting as parts are unavailable. 

I've worked on a few fabteks and their parts availability is worse that others but nothing out of the ordinary imo.

Thats the way all new equipment is though. I can get parts for a 1965 ford tractor but parts for my 2009 are scarce sometimes. If you want to run late model equipment of any kind for the production numbers and comfort then you better be ready to trade them in and upgrade more often. The days of running a tractor, skidder, you name it for 30 years is long gone.

Firewoodjoe

Yeah it's all late model equipment. Just sucks. And the non serviceable parts are getting out of hand as well. That berg said you can't actually grease those bogie bearings. Or at least the one he cut in half. It's only greasing the seals that keep the "forever" grease 🤦‍♂️ Sealed and dirt free. 

chep

Rottne is starting to make north American moves again.  Keep your eyes open. There is a new sales and service center open in central vermont. With good service comes good sales. And with reliable service the doors seem wide open in the ctl world

snowstorm

Weather Longview will be any better remains to be seen. I talked to there parts guy and the service manager last fall. I can't say I was that impressed all they wanted to do was slam the dealer here. I am not referring to my pal from Sweden he knows his stuff. Heavy machines really screwed up when they let him go. Rottne downfall was closing the factory dealership in pa. Never once did they not have in stock what I needed. I have a 646 valmet parts have never been a problem. A while back it broke a unjoint and bent the yoke. Komastu had the yoke but the u joint came from vintage parts

chep

Ya luckily rikard is working there 4 sure. He is a wealth of information! 
Younger new generation of techs and support need to learn everything they can from him. But at least he has some good guys to work with. Time will tell. 

chevytaHOE5674

I would hope a ujoint and yoke was no problem. The issues arise when you start talking ring and pinions, planataries, bogie gears, bogie bearings, carriers, sun shafts, etc.

And on some that used axles that were in production a while and used across manufactures and platforms parts are no problem. 

Some of the forwarders and harvesters use Clark or Dana axles that have been in production for 30 years and used in everything from cranes, logging equipment, loaders, mining vehicles, parts usually aren't a problem. 

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: snowstorm on January 17, 2022, 06:05:15 PM
Weather Longview will be any better remains to be seen. I talked to there parts guy and the service manager last fall. I can't say I was that impressed all they wanted to do was slam the dealer here. I am not referring to my pal from Sweden he knows his stuff. Heavy machines really screwed up when they let him go. Rottne downfall was closing the factory dealership in pa. Never once did they not have in stock what I needed. I have a 646 valmet parts have never been a problem. A while back it broke a unjoint and bent the yoke. Komastu had the yoke but the u joint came from vintage parts
A 546 was also one Ive been trying to get info on. As they are Ford. Basically the same as my one mule with the power shift trans. Except for the bogies. Also the fabtek uses a 6068t and a 1200 series front axle of which this old feller buncher I have should exchange those two if times got tough. Maybe I could replace the bogies with a 1200 and make it 4x4. 😂 that would be last resort! I don't know I just like options. I'd love to up date for a bit more production cause the trucking problem might be partially solved. But no way I'm a spending 100s of thousands or by something I can't fix. I'll just do 80ish cord a week and be happy with my old single bunk and home life. 

chep

I'll just do 80ish cord a week and be happy with my old single bunk and home life. 

@Firewoodjoe this is your last sentence from above and i think you are spot on good sir. Keep your eyes out for an older double bunk machine like a timberjack but if what your doin works dont get caught in the trap!

snowstorm

I would skip the 546 and look for a 646. Cummins Clark trans Deere front axel naf rears. A parking brake that will hold on any mountain. And no computer

Firewoodjoe

I know where there's a few of them. I know the Cummins and that's good I wasn't sure on the other components. Now I keep hearing naf? Are most naf? Like interchangeable or just the brand but different series and sizes? 

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: chep on January 17, 2022, 07:41:01 PM
I'll just do 80ish cord a week and be happy with my old single bunk and home life.

@Firewoodjoe this is your last sentence from above and i think you are spot on good sir. Keep your eyes out for an older double bunk machine like a timberjack but if what your doin works dont get caught in the trap!
What series of Timberjack? Cause I won't own one of those axle pivot series. Has to be in the middle for me. I can't believe I'm thinking about a forwarder when I had decided on getting a dozer next. And I may still🤷‍♂️ Never ends. 

chep

My buddy had a 1010 with over 20k hrs on cummins motor. Dont know anymore about it but the thing seemed bulletproof. Slow and steady 

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: chep on January 17, 2022, 08:41:34 PM
My buddy had a 1010 with over 20k hrs on cummins motor. Dont know anymore about it but the thing seemed bulletproof. Slow and steady
Bogies? I'd love to have a 1010 double bunk 4x4. But there rare. And even the single bunks are crazy money now a days. 

chevytaHOE5674

NAF is a manufacture of bogie axles, there is a whole slew of models and build configurations for them.

If you want bulletproof like Snowstorm suggest a Valmet 646 is hard to beat. Not the most comfortable or ergonomic, but Pilot joystick controls means no electronic joysticks to crap out. The Clark powershift is pretty robust and serviceable if it gives trouble. The 4bt cummins while lacking in power is hard to beat for reliability and fuel consumption. If it has a deere and NAF axle then they shouldn't give any issues and parts are available.

I'd go bogie rear with tracks all day over a 4x4 forwarder in a double bunk. 

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on January 17, 2022, 09:57:39 PM
NAF is a manufacture of bogie axles, there is a whole slew of models and build configurations for them.

If you want bulletproof like Snowstorm suggest a Valmet 646 is hard to beat. Not the most comfortable or ergonomic, but Pilot joystick controls means no electronic joysticks to crap out. The Clark powershift is pretty robust and serviceable if it gives trouble. The 4bt cummins while lacking in power is hard to beat for reliability and fuel consumption. If it has a deere and NAF axle then they shouldn't give any issues and parts are available.

I'd go bogie rear with tracks all day over a 4x4 forwarder in a double bunk.
Would these have less electronics vs the fabteks? Engine and trans wise. I've never been up next to one but I could real easy. 

chevytaHOE5674

Generally yes. The Fabteks I've been around have electric over hydraulic controls and others electronics. The old Valmets are mostly mechanical, the 4bt cummins only needs 12v to run, the joysticks are all pilot control so no electronics there. Like I said not the most comfy or ergonomic, but pretty bullet proof. Can fix just about anything with hand tools and a voltmeter.

Firewoodjoe

I'll have to stop and compare them. I was thinking the fabteks had pilots also. 

Mountaynman

Having owned and run a newer timberking/cat and then a 20000 hr fabtek those machines are tough and very reliable anything after 99 is electronic joysticks . There will always be parts available as they were componet built 1200/1400 jd series front axles and jd tourque convertor and powershift transmission both had 6068t jd engines. The rest any good wrench can figure out Jason at milton cat in brewer me was able to get build sheets from the serial num. Not sure anymore since the sale he had a direct line to the factory with weiler buying stuff may have changed. 
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

Firewoodjoe

barbender

The rear bogeys are all the parts availability problems I've ever heard about on the Fabteks. In fact, I just saw someone had an ad on the local CL looking for a bogey stub axle.

Thank You Sponsors!