iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmaxx MX8H or TM86H

Started by Windsolar, May 21, 2020, 03:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windsolar

Been reading all the posts on chippers and decided that for me a hydrolic feed would work best. I have a Kubota L32, 24 ac wood lot and a lot of brush. Mostly I'll be chipping smaller stuff except for some soft wood that I don't burn in masonry heaters I have. I do burn anything arm size and thus lots of smaller brush to chip. Question. I am leaning towards the MX8H as it's probably a better fit for my L32, but it's quite large. Do any of you find it real hard to deal with the size of the 8H?  I thinking I'll set up on my wood road and chip there vs trying to drive into tight spaces.  The TM86 might be easier to handle, store in my garage and meet my needs. Have to add I've never owned a wood chipper.   Thanks, Chris
The L3200 is a 32 hp tractor

Windsolar

Have to add Woodland Mills just notified me that the WC68 will be available in July, but I have to pay now!!  Ouch, at least Woodmaxx is holding my place.  The WC68 would be another option for me
Chris

thecfarm

No idea how big a L32 is for hp.
Don't know what you want for the look?
I have about an acre that I pick up brush from. I want a nice clean look.

This is a section that I keep clean.

Out in the woods,when I cut trees, I cut the brush into short pieces to get it on the ground, so it will rot and can't be really be seen from 20 feet away, short as in not much longer than 2 feet. Yes, it takes time, but feeding a chipper takes time too. Than there is the blades to sharpen too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Riwaka

Woodmaxx just off their website etc

Assume L3200 Kubota with 25hp at the pto
TractorData.com Kubota L3200 tractor information

Woodmaxx mx9900 - requires too much power for current tractor  (or open the rail up, bigger turbo if possible)

Woodmaxx mx8800 - requires 20hp@ pto, up to 8 inch material - $4K

Woodmaxx wm-8h  - requires 19hp@pto,  up to 8 inch material - $3K

Woodmaxx wm-8m - requires 19hp@pto, up to 8 inch material $2.5K

Woodmaxx TM-86H - requires 15hp@pto, up to 6 inch material $2849

Wood Chipper Shredder | PTO Wood Chipper | Wood Shredder | Wood Chipper Attachment | Chipper for small tractor - WoodMaxx
With 15hp - 3 inch hard and 4 inch soft

The TM-86H looks like it could fold up better for the garage. The WM-8M might be a choice if you get a larger tractor to chip larger material.

Are there any hire chippers that you can use before you purchase. Try a range of power etc. Look at the market of used machines to get a chipper with its own industrial engine set up for chipping(rather than depreciating the tractor with higher engine hours). Can tow the chipper (on wheels with its own engine) with a pickup to further away jobs or back for pro-servicing etc.

see if anything is in the used junk pile.
Bandit Industries, Inc
Bandit Industries, Inc
50hp kubota engine on tracked 7inch capacity chipper
Bandit Industries, Inc

goose63

I have a Woodlandmill 6 inch hd feed and it works DanG good
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Windsolar

Thanks for input. The folding comment and hp at PTO are spot on. I'm not chipping 5-7 inch hardwood logs, maybe a few softwood. Most is cut up for firewood. One option is I could add hydrolics on my tractor as there is a chipper available that requires tractor hydrolics. Chris

Windsolar

This just came up for sale locally. No hydrolics just a manual feed chipper. He wanted $3500. Down to $2500. It's a 1999 year with 12 hours on chipper

Valby CH140 PTO wood chipper in excellent condition with less than 12hrs on it. Made in Finland, commercial grade in every way.

Nathan4104

i just got a woodland mills WC88.   Mind you I have 60hp at the PTO.  it'll take whatever will fit in the hole.  
I could not imagine running a chipper without Hydraulic feed.  Mind you i'd never used one period till this showed up.   The bigger opening than capacity just means we don't have to trim the crooked branches/tops down as much.  Whole balsams (4") but with all the limbs on, which can be quite wide just go right on through.  The extra couple hundred in difference from the 68 was worth it.  and you may not have to wait for it. 

EOTE

I have the Woodmaxx WM-8H and am very pleased with its performance.  Soft and hardwoods are handled very well.  Keep in mind though that even though it will handle an 8" log, with my Kubota L4060 (40 hp), I can only safely chip up to 6" logs if they are hardwood like elm or oak.

Expect to sharpen the blades about every 50 hours, (although the blades are reversible) to keep cutting to the optimum.  Definitely a must to wear ear, eye, hand and arm protection when feeding branches otherwise you can plan on some kind of injury from all the branches scraping you up.  I wear kevlar arm sleeves and gloves.

Oh, and Woodmaxx offers a Veteran's discount of 5% which I appreciated.
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Thank You Sponsors!