iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 40 Super or LT50 Woodmizer.

Started by Tin Horse, January 31, 2020, 10:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tin Horse

Thanks for the pictures Bandmill. Great modification. Can I ask the length of the extension and is it designed so the saw head does full return on the carriage? Also roughly what's a seat cost from woodmizer.
I'm pricing a loaded LT 50 that's now on sale but pushing into 80 grand. Might have to be slightly used. 
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Beavertooth

How do you run a LT50 up to 80 grand. That is double the base price.  The LT70 Super  is only 70 grand.   You definitely want a chain turner and Accuset 2 if looking for speed.  Don't worry about getting the laser unless you are going to be inside out of the sun. It is totally useless outside.  I used to have LT40HD and have had LT70 for 13 years now and would say if you can afford it go with LT70.  I have a friend with a LT50 and I have run his for him several times and even though it is a great machine the LT70 is a completely different beast. One of the best things I like about the LT70 is being able to put  the remote station on the end of mill and cut with the sawhead coming toward you. You can see everything that is going on and everything is pushed away from you with the board return and someone else on the other end can handle lumber and slabs while you concentrate only on sawing. And the LT50 does not have drag back fingers like the Lt70 or the table on the end for lumber to land on when it comes off of mill. I keep a roller bed mounted on the table to make the lumber come off a lot easier also. The LT70 is just a good bit faster and you will saw more lumber with it.  Some people say not much difference but I have sawn with both and they are not close to being the same machine. It just depends on what you want and your budget.   
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Bandmill Bandit

something screwed up when i hit post so its a mess. Can one of the mods fix this or tell me how. This post can be deleted. I think the one i did to correct the mess is right. Thankyou.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Tin Horse on February 02, 2020, 02:31:37 PM
Thanks for the pictures Bandmill. Great modification. Can I ask the length of the extension and is it designed so the saw head does full return on the carriage? Also roughly what's a seat cost from woodmizer.
I'm pricing a loaded LT 50 that's now on sale but pushing into 80 grand. Might have to be slightly used.
Not sure what a seat is worth now but mine was $750CDN Ish when I bought it.
Total lenght of extension it self is 28" ish. Effective extension is about 25". It allows the head to return to the exact same point it does when the seat is off which was the goal of the extension.
Its not a simple mod as it requires some hacking and redesign of the mill frame itself for the head stop bumper and the mount mechanism inside the frame. But it works well and I like using it.
I will say that I dont use it as much as I a did the first 2 years after I built it but that has more to do with the slow down in the mill work available right now.  

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

123maxbars

@YellowHammer my drag back fingers will be here tomorrow, anxious to see how they turn out, 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

DR_Buck

The only drawback of the LT50 over the LT 40 is if you saw a significant number of logs under 7-8 ft.     I custom saw and many customers have short logs.  The LT50 has manual center backstops only.  That is the only reason I did not buy an LT50 last year.   I went with the LT40 only because it has all 4 backstops functioning from the hydraulic controls.     I really wanted the chain turner, but not at the expense of loosing hydraulic backstops.  

I can't speak for the LT40, but the dragback guide fingers are not available for the LT40 unless you add them yourself.   The WM set made for the LT70 does not fit directly.  It requires modification.    I installed them on my mill a few months ago.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

123maxbars

Quote from: DR_Buck on February 02, 2020, 06:04:26 PM

I can't speak for the LT40, but the dragback guide fingers are not available for the LT40 unless you add them yourself.   The WM set made for the LT70 does not fit directly.  It requires modification.    I installed them on my mill a few months ago.
My drag back fingers will be here tomorrow. I spoke with Wood-Mizer a few times on building mine to be specific for the 40. Tomorrow I will find out how they did. 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Bandmill Bandit

In total honesty I am not sure I like the fingers system for board return but experiance with them is limited to a few hours.
The picture shows why I say that.

That little flat bar carries the lumber all the way back to the front of the mill. I wouldnt want to be with out it.

YellowHammer

Bandmaill, I'm glad to hear it is working for you.  The dragback shelf is incredibly useful and once its installed, it adds another dimension to the dragback.  I've talked to Woodmizer and suggested they make it an option, and when I ordered my LT70 they remembered and mentioned that it had a different finger configuration and I wouldn't be able to use my drag back shelf.  Well, after a few days of running my new mill without it, I couldn't stand it, and had to come up with a solution.  I finally came up with a way to do it, and have the same capability now.  The the shelf can be added to any configuration WM, or any mill with a dragback, for that matter.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

jeepcj779

123maxbars,
 Do you know if WM is going to make the modified fingers available for all LT40/50 users?

PAmizerman

Does the lt70 have "cruise control"?
With my 40 I routinely walk away from the controls while the head is sawing to stack and move lumber. Could I do that easily on a 70?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Southside

Yup - top right button on the left joystick. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Except for one minor detail.  The cruise control on the 70 is a lot of work.  

You'd better walk and get back quick.  Real quick.  You'd better have a little giddy up in yore getalong because the durn LT70 will be done with the cut before you know it.

So although I used cruise control on my LT40 all the time, I generally don't have the time for it on my LT70.  It's that fast.  

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

PAmizerman

Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

YellowHammer

Here is a video on of our Forum members made after he got his LT70.  It cuts pretty fast.  There's not a lot of time for cruise control while in the cut.

Running the new mill - YouTube
YellowHammerisms:

Magicman

Just as a note in case you are wondering, his cants are bucked and then go through a resaw for pallet lumber.  It's a specialty situation and is not a normal sawing pattern nor sequence for lumber.  Ultimately he needed an even faster sawmill to meet his need. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PAmizerman

Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

boonesyard

Quote from: 123maxbars on February 02, 2020, 06:23:43 PM
Quote from: DR_Buck on February 02, 2020, 06:04:26 PM

My drag back fingers will be here tomorrow. I spoke with Wood-Mizer a few times on building mine to be specific for the 40. Tomorrow I will find out how they did.
Nathan,
Did WM have a fingers solution for your LT40, or are they customizing something for you? If they have put something together, I would like to check on that for my 50. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Thank You Sponsors!