iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New saw break in

Started by Bthomasb3, February 20, 2019, 07:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bthomasb3

Hi folks im new here the name is Brian.I just bought my first new saw today, a stihl 362cm with a 25"bar. I have had many other saws but not new.Im looking for suggestions for break in, should i baby it for how long? or run it like i stole it after a tank of fuel??  Also i bought the 25" bar just so i had the bigger bar i have some big trees to cut this spring but im going to buy a smaller 18 or 20" for firewood cutting.Is there a brand name, style bar that seems to work better or last longer. I like the sprocket nose but havent tried several of the manufacturer brand names .What do you like.thanks

lxskllr

Welcome! You got my first good saw, exactly. Bought it beginning of March last year. If you haven't used it yet, you might want to consider trading the bar in for the light variant(at extra cost of course). It'll balance better on the saw. Also, make sure you turn the oiler up to max. It'll still be light, but probably good enough. Haven't burned my bar yet, and I've done some long cuts buried in oak.

Otherwise, I'm not sure of "proper" break in routine, but I ran it somewhat lightly at a range of speeds before going flat out with it. Give it a chance to get used to doing stuff before making it sweat.

Southside

Welcome to the Forum.  Just as important as break in is cool down, always give your saw plenty of time to idle after running it so it will cool down, shutting it right off after a long, hard, cut and hearing the "tink", "tink", "tink" of the metal is not a good thing.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sawguy21

Let it warm up for a minute or two then cut at wide open throttle to maximize cooling air. Babying it will result in overheating. Once you have run a few tanks through have an experienced tech fine tune it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jsawyer

On 1st tank what mix should you use. 40:1,or 50:1. I too bought new saw had the shop tune it but haven't ran it yet. I bought the same saw ms362 with 25" light bar. I'm waiting on my dog...what tin piece of junk came on it.

Thank You Sponsors!