iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My cancer journey

Started by Ed_K, July 11, 2016, 07:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed_K

Finally getting my breathing back but still get tired out by noon. It's unbelievable how quickly you can lose muscle and strength by not working/playing everyday.
Ed K

Old saw fixer

You got that right, Ed! 
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

mike_belben

Make the best of it ed.  God lets satan test us, as it is written in the book of job.  Remember to keep a grateful heart throughout.  
Praise The Lord

Bricklayer51

Ed good to hear you can get out and do something i just tried cutting up a blowdown got dizzy and had to quit it sucks when you get weak from not being able to eat right i do have an appointment at a oral surgeon the 11

Ed_K

Bricklayer51, I hope they can figure out whats wrong and get you on the mend. I haven't felt hungry since the first heavy chemo drug they gave me in 2016. I don't know how you do it not being able to eat, I feel awful for you.
Ed K

Tacotodd

Ed, I see that you still seem to not be disconnected from us, at least not with all of your recent replies and posting. You ARE feeling OK if you have the strength to to do that. Maybe not top notch, but it’s better than becoming fertilizer! After all (selfish me), I like seeing you around!
Trying harder everyday.

Ed_K

@ Tacotodd, Thanks for that post ment alot to me.
Ed K

Ed_K

@tacotodd Thanks that ment a lot to me.
Ed K

Ed_K

Well things are looking better for the new med's my multiple myeloma Dr. prescribed. After three months of trying different levels of of each drug ( Pomalyst and Daratumumab ) my number's that are watched to judge the effectiveness of, are right and keep me from having side effects.
 Now that we have that straightened out both Rita and I found out we both got a case of skin cancer. When the dermatologist looked at the spots, decided we needed to have them taken care of right away.

We never thought about such things happening to us, tho I always wore a ballcap when not using hardhats. Rita was out chasing cows the better part of her life and never thought of hats. But here we are wondering "what's next".
 The only thing I can say is "you younger people need to protect yourselves". I didn't think the spots were anything to worry about, but the Dr. said "oh yes skin cancer isn't something to just shove to the side". And ballcaps don't protect good enough.
Ed K

samandothers

Good news on the myeloma.  Sorry to hear about y'alls skin issues but echo you comments on need to protect yourself.  The use of hats and sun screen should be encouraged. 

mike_belben

a neighbor of mine down here who is from the cape had the same nose job done a few years ago.  i had 3 chunks lobbed off by the VA in the 2000s and surely am due for a whole pile more of them. 

i keep telling my kids to enjoy being young but they're in a race to grow up just like we all were.  getting old sucks. hang in there ed and rita
Praise The Lord

Old saw fixer

I had a place on my nose surgically removed several years ago.  I go to my Dermatologist tomorrow for my semi-annual screening.  Usually some precancerous spots on my arms or face get frozen, cut off, or smeared with "cancer cream" for two weeks.
     I wear a long sleeve SPF shirt now when I am in the sun along with a wide brimmed hat.  It does help with the deer flies some.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510

thecfarm

Ed and wife. I am thinking of you both!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

Ed sending you and Rita my best for you melanoma operations.
You are a tough combination. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ed_K

Rita is tough we both covered our faces with the covid masks (they fit just right to protect the stitches) and went out an cut a road thru a hemlock patch to access some w/pine we're cutting. She's learning quick how to cut trees so I can grab with the grapple and pull out of the way. Pict's coming in what your cutting thd.
Ed K

mike_belben

well thats a heck of a lot more fun than sitting around sick from chemo i'll bet.  good for the soul to be out in the woods. 
Praise The Lord

Old saw fixer

Good to hear that you are back in the woods, Ed.  Work is good for the soul, and keeps your mind busy.
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510

Ed_K

If it would quit these 3" and 5" of snow and warm up a little I could work some. Had a treatment and a talk with my Dr. yesterday, I can't walk 100' thru 5'' of snow with out getting totally winded. Dr. thinks I might have some water around my heart causing it. Now more test to come :(. Rita's going to have to break trail and do more of the limbing today. We'll try to remember the camera ;D.
Ed K

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

nativewolf

How you doing with the treatment Ed?  
Liking Walnut

Ed_K

Treatments are going ok, but the rest of the day and day after I'm real tired and can't do much but sleep. They have me on eloquis for getting blood clots in my lungs and a water pill because I get out of breath from water build up around my heart / lungs. Long as I take the meds at the right times I can go pretty good. Getting ready to start sugaring season and I'm off the 14 day chemo pills so I'm hoping I have a little extra energy to get tapped and boiling, after that Rita can boil if I can't.
Ed K

nativewolf

Quote from: Ed_K on February 27, 2021, 10:44:28 AM
Treatments are going ok, but the rest of the day and day after I'm real tired and can't do much but sleep. They have me on eloquis for getting blood clots in my lungs and a water pill because I get out of breath from water build up around my heart / lungs. Long as I take the meds at the right times I can go pretty good. Getting ready to start sugaring season and I'm off the 14 day chemo pills so I'm hoping I have a little extra energy to get tapped and boiling, after that Rita can boil if I can't.
Good deal then overall.  Glad they are treating the water buildup issue.  Best of luck on the sugaring season, wish I had some maple.  
Keep on the chemo schedule, it does get tiring but just keep the faith and stay on the schedule. 
Liking Walnut

Ed_K

Quote from: nativewolf on February 27, 2021, 10:56:44 AM
Quote from: Ed_K on February 27, 2021, 10:44:28 AM
Good deal then overall.  Glad they are treating the water buildup issue.  Best of luck on the sugaring season, wish I had some maple.  
Keep on the chemo schedule, it does get tiring but just keep the faith and stay on the schedule.
Thanks for asking, N.W. I hope no one reading my journey has to go thru this.
Ed K

nativewolf

I've been on that road myself so stay strong.  For me it was some simple surgery and chemo.  Frankly, it wasn't worth the juice and animal cookies :D.  Speaking of which colonoscopy in AM and I'm fasting today, prep tonight and in early AM.  That also isn't worth the juice and animal cookies (but beats surgery and worse).  
Liking Walnut

thecfarm

Sounds good Ed.
Hope the sugaring will treat ya good. I saw some buckets out today, first ones. Some are coming into the store for supplies.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!