iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started the build.

Started by fishfighter, April 08, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

Yep, have sawmill, one can build. ;D For the 3K I paid for mine, I think it has paid for itself many times over. ;D

Counting the cost of the mill and house build, I'm under 8K together. And that includes 1.5 K for a treatment plant that is in the ground. >:( One has to have it here. :D

thecfarm

Yes Jim you are right.  :)  But I would have a hard time building furniture out of wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crusarius

Steel is much more forgiving. You cut it to short, oops, weld it back together and cut it in the right spot :)

As I get older and more patient I am getting better with wood. Pretty sure my steel fab skills are still better.

fishfighter

Three sprayed coats on varnish and it's done besides the doors.

Going to try to get the doors done tomorrow.

fishfighter

Got the doors done this morning. Just waiting on the glue to dry. Then I will sand out and varnish today.

Tomorrow, I will start on the other cabinets. Yes, two.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Looking good!  Not letting any grass grow under your feet!
Did you do anything to the wood to Treat for bugs?  Looks like wood may have holes in it.

I like the look of your cabinets with the varnish finish.

fishfighter

Those holes are from Ambrose beetles. They all leave out once the wood dries. I did spray with Borate. Most of the wood I am using has been dried for two years. Also, with the amount of varnish I am applying, all wood is incased. I been keeping a very close eye on thinks to make sure nothing is living in the wood. Haven't seen anything yet.

samandothers

Looks great!  Thanks for the info.

fishfighter

Didn't get a chance to spray the doors, so I went out there and did them this morning. Also had moved the vanity in the bathroom. Once the doors are dried, I will hang them and get a picture.

Here is the vanity in it's place.

sawmilllawyer

8)As always looking good!
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

fishfighter

Got out early this morning and knocked this base cabinet out.

It's 23 1/2" wide. That gives me about 1/8" on each side to slide it in place. But, after checking things for a third time, I ran into a little problem. :( To get that into this spot.

I will have to remove the door trim on that side. :D This cabinet is just across from were a set of stackable wash/dryer will be placed. The base cabinet will be there to store cleaning products and the likes. This area can be used to fold things coming out the dryer.

Now I wanted to used granite for the vanity and this base cabinet top.

Now this is were I could used a idea or three. On that base cabinet, I would like to have a extension about 14" extending out from the base cabinet. Looking for more counter top space. Was thinking some hinges that can fold up and out the way. Problem there, granite and weight.

Another idea, build a custom board that can be removed. Would have to install some slats on the walls, maybe 1"x1". Would be lite enough to remove when one needs to.

Let me hear y'all's ideas here. ;D

Crusarius

pullout flush to bottom of the countertop on ball bearing slides. takes up very little space adds bunch more space. 

The other option would be lifting hinge. not sure thats its real name but would allow the flat top to be under the countertop and be pulled out and lifted up to flush with countertop. this option takes up more space.

fishfighter

I did think of a pull out shelf. I will go try to find what I would need to see if I can make that work.

Got some much need rain coming today, I hope.

fishfighter

Every thing is together. The door.

Once things dried, it was time to put things together.

All sanded out and ready for varnish which I will get done the first thing tomorrow morning.

fishfighter

All varnished and in it's place.

And I finished the top cabinet. Still have to finish cleaning it up and build the door.

So much for rain. :( We are in need of it bad. It just keeps going around me. :(

Magicman

Rain is going around me too Paul.

The cabinet work is superb.   smiley_thumbsup 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Lynn, we just had a three minute shower. :( Need a couple days soaking here.

First thing this morning, I hung that top cabinet. I did drop it a little compared to kitchen cabinet spacing.

To close up the little space in between the cabinets and walls, I have some oak strips that are 3/16" thick and 1/2" wide.

As you can see, I sure did have to pull that door trim away. :( Yep, tight spaces. ;D

Once I got that done, I built the door. This is it not glued together, but it is now. ;D Will sand it out in the morning and varnish it.

For some reason, I hit the jackpot to quarter sawed lumber. Should of put that stock were I have a bunch of other quarter sawed oak. :o Oh well. :) 

fishfighter

Done with bathroom cabinets other then some small trim out. ;D

Taking it easy for the rest of the day. Kind of dragging. :(

fishfighter

So, it was back to the drawing board, and that is what I did. :D Worked on that extension and got it done.

With it extended.

Used 3" screws and glue to mount the side runners.

Once I got all that together, I had pulled the extension out. removed and sand then varnished. Just have to put things back together. Very happy how that worked out. ;D

Crusarius

Looks great. any reason you didn't use full extension ball bearing slides?

fishfighter

All the ones around here are 1 1/2" wide. Was looking for low profile and drawer sliders was small enough which is 3/4" wide.

fishfighter

Another day in the bathroom. Still trying to rap this up. First thing, had to remove the base cabinet and the vanity. Then it was time to clean up the floor of wall mud. Scrapping, vacuuming and the stealing the wife's mop. Glad she is not home. :D

Then it was time to cut out some pieces of Hardie Board. I just so happen to have a bunch of 4'x8' sheets. ;D

As you can tell, the sub floor is still wet from mopping. :D

All cut out now.

I will remove it tomorrow and then put down some thinset and then put the boards back down. This will give a real good floating base for the flooring to come. ;D

On a side note. Found more then enough granite to cover the bathroom base and vanity cabinets. I will be going look at it this afternoon. If the color is good, I will get it. Bonus buy at $50 for it. Now if the color is good. :o 

fishfighter

Yesterday, I had applied thinset and finish that. I did get that granite. Not the best color, but it will work. Spent the rest of the day cutting that up.

With the granite, there is a lip that was hanging to low for the pull out drawer. :( Raising it was out the question. :o So, mod two for that drawer. ;)

Had to remove what I added. Had to grind a little off the drawer slide and then cut into the base cabinet top front. Installed some runners and then installed the drawer slides. Hey, it works. ;D

All in a day, I guess. 8)

Crusarius

how did you cut the granite?

Thank You Sponsors!