iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price of white oak logs

Started by Florida boy, December 11, 2017, 04:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florida boy

Seeing all this beautiful quarsawn white oak on the forum lately and really want to get my hands on some. I called a guy I've known for a while that also has a mill and asked if he had any on hand. He said he had a few big one suitable for quarter sawing. I asked about a bf  price and he said "round .70 a bf or so. I'm located in northwest Florida near with a Alabama. Does that price seem in line with the market? If i do end up getting some I'll have yo pick up at his local he will load with his equipment... how should I deduct for defects as ive realy never even scaled a log. White oak of any size is hard to come by in this area. Whatcha think?

Ps I'm just a hobbyist how would like some more qswo for future projects. No sales of lumber.

scsmith42

I've been paying .70 - $1.00 bd ft for WO grade logs >20" small end.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Peter Drouin

I try to get it, It's not a big thing around here, I try to get 16' for trailer decking.
And offer .65 a bf
We have a lot of taper on W,O, so the loggers cut 8' and 10'.
I pasted up a load of 8s and10s 2 weeks ago.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Southside

Above 16" ranges from $0.40 to $1.00 around here, the lower end just being a mill that will buy anything from anybody and re-sells their grade logs for a decent profit without ever sawing them, so I don't think your price is out of line at all. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Florida boy

He mentioned a crotch at the end of one. Does the crotch get scaled or is tgat looked at as a deduction on footage.. any figure in white oak crotches?

xlogger

Quote from: scsmith42 on December 11, 2017, 07:51:17 PM
Scott, what scale do you use and I'm guessing that deliver price?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

White oak splits bad at the pith.  I suspect that the crotch will split and crack.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

I'm thinking, at 70 cents per BF for white oak logs, It would do me well to just sell the few I have and not even bother milling it. I must be working way too cheap,.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

scsmith42

Quote from: xlogger on December 12, 2017, 04:57:57 AM
Quote from: scsmith42 on December 11, 2017, 07:51:17 PM
Scott, what scale do you use and I'm guessing that deliver price?

Ricky, that price is for delivered logs, clear four faces, centered pith, no sign of stain or other damage, 6+ growth rings per inch.

Low grade logs (trailer decking) are purchased for .35 bd ft delivered.

International Scale.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!