iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

IH Dozer experts!!!

Started by Quartlow, June 07, 2007, 06:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quartlow

Ok the old 500 stopped dead in her tracks. Makes absolutely no attempt to move. the general consensus over at yesteryear tractors is the stub shat that drives the pump has fine slpines on it and they think those are stripped.

Near as I can tell that requires removing the engine  >:(  >:( Pulled the floor pan tonight and the top of the tranny
Fired it up and have great oil circulation. move the shuttle shift and there is no change in the flow and the input shaft of the tranny doesn't even twitch. I'm wondering if its just something wrong with the valve for the reverser.

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

beenthere

Stopped 'dead' far out in der woods?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quartlow

it was in the middle of the hay field, got the ford 8000 and drug it up on da trailer and got it home and its sitting outside the wood shop. at least its home where I have air and welder and all the tools.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Jason_AliceMae Farms

I know that I am resurrecting a VERY old thread but I wanted to see if there were any IH 500 diesel crawler owners here on the board.  I am looking for opinions on this crawler to see if it is worth perusing a potential purchase (sorry no pictures yet).  It would just be for personal use right now to help cut some trails in the woods, clear some ground for outbuildings, etc.

I have asked a similar question on a different site but figured I would ask here too.  It would be my first crawler and first piece of big equipment other than the 30HP utility tractors.  It will be a project and take some learning since it has been sitting for a few years but it was operational when parked so hopefully the exhaust was covered and no water froze up and cracked anything.

Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

mburrow

I feel the best resource for IH equipment,tractors and trucks is redpowermagazine .com
forums.yesterdaystractors .com is another good resource

Jason_AliceMae Farms

mburrow - thanks!  I just registered with redpowermagazine yesterday and that is where I first posted my question.

my "home" forum is here so that is why I asked here too.  I like the FF the most  8)
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

chevytaHOE5674

Be careful with old crawler/dozers as they can be real money pits. IH construction line no longer exists and I doubt is Komatsu has any parts support left for them, so when you need parts you may be SOL. Also make sure to carefully inspect the undercarriage and measure it up and compare it to the specs to see how far gone it is. If the undercarriage is worn then you will have 10x more money replacing it than a dozer of that vintage is worth.

Thank You Sponsors!