iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Steps of my addiction

Started by trimguy, April 16, 2020, 06:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trimguy

A few years ago I built a band mill. A few months ago I found this website and it helped me get some inconsistencies and things worked out. Thanks. I've cut a few thousand feet of framing material for buildings, some of which still need to be built. Still need some more lumber for them. A couple of weeks ago I had a large log roll on my mill (27" butt by 24' long ) and it wrecked my bed. It was to light to start with. So, no more steel. Do I order steel and build a new one? I like the Lt15go. I keep looking at it and think the Lt28 would easier and heavier to do upgrades to later. I talked with Tim at Wood-Mizer South and had him send me a quote for both. Have my Joy ( my wife) print them out (I don't do email). "They're to look at". Spend a couple of days mulling it over. Next is to present my case. So this will do this , that will do that , etc. We watched a couple of videos. She said what about that one , so we watched another video. "That's the one you need to buy". :o :o :o  That's a Lt40 hydraulic !!!! " You will enjoy it more and your getting older ". So I had Tim send a quote for it. Had her print it out , went over it with her . She's still on board. I had to think about it a couple of days. But this morning I ordered MY LT40. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) You can't slap the smile off my face right now. I haven't ever sold any wood or cut for anyone else. I believe that will change in the future

btulloh

Wow!  What a story.  That's great. Every wife needs to read this.  :D  I'm sure you'll remember your anniversary this year as well as your wife's birthday. Something like a telehandler or skid steer would make excellent presents for those occasions. 

Congrats on the new mill!
HM126

doc henderson

my wife has bought me grapple buckets, but never a sawmill!  congratulations.  you have already learned the hard lessons on your home built mill.  You deserve this!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

RichTired

Good choice!  I have an LT15GO and I'm very happy with it, but you will love the hydraulics on the LT40.
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

thecfarm

There, I told you if you wrecked your homemade mill she would tell you to buy one.   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nebraska

Congratulations that is awesome.

samandothers

Very nice!  Wives are very often great enablers.

Bandmill Bandit

At this point, I would say that you have only signs of addiction while your wife is showing early symptoms the terminal virus. I would say she is bent on ensuring that you become equally infected so that she is not so lonely in the isolation phase fo the sawdust virus.

It is terminal you know!   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

randy d

My wife bought a John Deere 4320 compact tractor for me for Christmas in 2010 I came home and it was sitting in the yard with a big bow on it. I have a LT 28 its a good mill but for big wood that LT 40 with the hydraulics will be great you will have fun. Randy

dirtmotor

My wife helped me pick out my new wm 40 hydraulic,  when it came in she helped me set it up and cut a few beautiful ros and she helped stack and sticker everything we 
we cut .
  Best day ever  , then I woke up , oh well I can dream :D

SawyerTed

My wife didn't buy the mill but she encouraged me to go hydraulic rather than manual.  I bought her a convertible....
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

porcupine

Trimguy
I think your wife and mine were separated at birth. You can't beat that!

Lumber will be flying off that new 40 soon.
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

ktm250rider

not a sawmill but back in 2002 I had an agreement with my wife that if the Patriots went to the superbowl, we would buy a big screen TV.  I had compromised and picked out a 55".  When we went to make the final purchase, the store had Britney Spears playing on all the TVs.  She walked past the 55" and stopped at the 65" and said "this is the one we are getting", I said yup!

trimguy

Yes, this is a very exciting time for me !! It's going to be a long month , my "soft " delivery date is May 12th.  Maybe that's for the best, I have a lot to get done before it gets here so I'll have time to play with it. Yeah, you still can't slap the smile off my face. ;D

YellowHammer

I've owned three WM mills, an LT15, LT40, and an LT70.  I say without hesitation, I still believe the LT40 line is the workhorse of the WM models and the best mix of value and production they sell.  It is a mill you can run once a once a month, or 8 hours a day, you can use as a hobby or a business.  It's not the highest production, not the fastest, but it's not the most expensive, or most complicated, either.  Its off the ground, on a trailer, so you can wheel it out of cover and start sawing in a few minutes, then roll it back under shelter again, if you don't have a permanent place to saw.  Or you can leave it out in the rain, (not advised) but I've got a buddy who has one, and it never sees cover and it just runs.  By workhorse, I mean, it's not the fastest animal on the farm, but it will put its head down and pull the plow all day long and the hydraulics it has are the ones you need to save your back and legs. I joked with people when they asked how fast it would cut, them expecting a technical answer.  I would just tell them its a 3 speed mill.

1) Myself sawing relaxed, or
2) Me sawing and sweating, or
3) Me and 1.5 helpers sweating. I never could get fast enough with it to have the second helper break into a sweat, and believe me, I tried.   :D  

My only piece of advice is get the most horsepower you can get, either diesel or gas, whichever you prefer.  Horsepower is king in a sawmill, and not just for sawing fast.  

Congratulations.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

trimguy

2 more days until I get to pick it up.  8) 8) 8)

samandothers

As Steve Martin would say, 'Getting Happy Feet!'

EOTE

Quote from: trimguy on April 16, 2020, 06:41:55 PM
A few years ago I built a band mill. A few months ago I found this website and it helped me get some inconsistencies and things worked out. Thanks. I've cut a few thousand feet of framing material for buildings, some of which still need to be built. Still need some more lumber for them. A couple of weeks ago I had a large log roll on my mill (27" butt by 24' long ) and it wrecked my bed. It was to light to start with. So, no more steel. Do I order steel and build a new one? I like the Lt15go. I keep looking at it and think the Lt28 would easier and heavier to do upgrades to later. I talked with Tim at Wood-Mizer South and had him send me a quote for both. Have my Joy ( my wife) print them out (I don't do email). "They're to look at". Spend a couple of days mulling it over. Next is to present my case. So this will do this , that will do that , etc. We watched a couple of videos. She said what about that one , so we watched another video. "That's the one you need to buy". :o :o :o  That's a Lt40 hydraulic !!!! " You will enjoy it more and your getting older ". So I had Tim send a quote for it. Had her print it out , went over it with her . She's still on board. I had to think about it a couple of days. But this morning I ordered MY LT40. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) You can't slap the smile off my face right now. I haven't ever sold any wood or cut for anyone else. I believe that will change in the future
I planned on buying the LT35 but when my wife and I went to see the demo, she insisted I get the LT40 with the stationary command module and accuset 2, as well as the debarker and board offloader.
50+ thousand board feet later, I am still thanking her.
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

trimguy

Yes I have " the happy feet " and yes I'm still thanking her ! I don't know if I will sleep much tonight , but oh well 😁. I didn't get every thing done I wanted to before it got here , but I will still probably get to find time to saw something. I will have to show her how it works. Yea, that's what I'm going with.  8)

SawyerTed

Waiting to hear!  Excited for you!  Waiting on pics of the first board!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

trimguy

I did my class at Woodmizer South and hooked up heading home. Wow, this is a big up grade !! it will take me a little while for everything to be second nature (looking at the pictures to make sure I grab the right handle, trying to remember steps in order, etc.) More fun and excitement . I am very happy and special thanks to Tim and Justin at Woodmizer. 8) 8)

Magicman

Dat surely is purdy, now add it to your profile so that we will remember.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

EOTE

Quote from: trimguy on May 15, 2020, 09:45:26 PM

I did my class at Woodmizer South and hooked up heading home. Wow, this is a big up grade !! it will take me a little while for everything to be second nature (looking at the pictures to make sure I grab the right handle, trying to remember steps in order, etc.) More fun and excitement . I am very happy and special thanks to Tim and Justin at Woodmizer. 8) 8)
Pay attention to your log clamps...they have  blade magnets!   :D :D :D
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Nebraska

Not much like pictures of the new baby congrats! 8).

terrifictimbersllc

Looks better than most baby pictures.  Not my granddaughter of course.  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SawyerTed

Congratulations!  Now knock the new off the log stops, the clamp or log turner soon.  Just do it!  Get it out of the way.

Honeycuttcars

Hey Trimguy, I thought I had the only wife like that...Lol
My wife and I both love "old stuff." She bought me a disassembled circular mill, and we are restocking it now. I look forward to running it soon.
 Congratulations on your new purchase. I know you will be happy.

Lostinmn

Congratulations on the shiny new iron! 

trimguy

Thanks for sharing my excitement!! " Life " got in the way this weekend and I wasn't able to cut anything. Now they're calling for rain for the next 8 days. I think this is harder than waiting when it was on order. It's a conspiracy against me. :D When I picked it up I almost asked the guy if I could run it into the side stops before we loaded the log, just to get it out of the way.  ;D Had enough time Friday evening when I got home to set it up and show the wife and she excited also.

Bandmill Bandit

Congrats on the new mill and geting it home and setup. You is done for, and your wife too. the infections is terminal and there is not cure. Hanging out any where near here will only exacerbate the infection!

The worst part of it the infection is the sore muscles cause you cant find the switch to shut the darn thing off when you have work too many hours already. It passes and then you'll do it again. 

OH WELL! You were warned!

ENJOY it to its full potential!

When you get to doing the upgrades to improve production dont be afraid to message me. I done em all already.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

KenMac

Congrats on your new mill!! And on having a great wife!! Mine is not quite so happy about my decision to buy a mill, but she is slowly coming around.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

trimguy

Added to my profile, thanks Magicman , never thought about it . Thanks for the offer Bandmill Bandit, I'm sure I will. Now , if I could just get some time to play. ;D 

trimguy

KenMac, my wife likes the smell of fresh cut wood , especially sappy pine pine. Occasionally I will give her a small piece and in the evenings while watching tv I will notice pick it up and smell it. :D It works for me , don't know if that would help you any. Also have built things around the house . 

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: trimguy on May 19, 2020, 12:35:04 PM
Added to my profile, thanks Magicman , never thought about it . Thanks for the offer Bandmill Bandit, I'm sure I will. Now , if I could just get some time to play. ;D
YOu gota call it "work" in yoir outside voice! or every one will think youve retired. ;D 

KenMac

Quote from: trimguy on May 19, 2020, 12:42:35 PM
KenMac, my wife likes the smell of fresh cut wood , especially sappy pine pine. Occasionally I will give her a small piece and in the evenings while watching tv I will notice pick it up and smell it. :D It works for me , don't know if that would help you any. Also have built things around the house .
There's a lot of stuff around the house I've made- including the bed we sleep on every night! Cindy is not a full-blooded country girl yet. She's still a keeper!
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

trimguy

WOW , its been a month since I picked up my mill. I finally got to go cut some wood last weekend. Life and work has had me extremely busy lately and doing a project for my wife. It was awesome ! I love the hydraulics . I cant wait until it cools down some to get more time with it. I cut my cant and then cut 1x's to the bed, where with my other mill I removed each board as I cut. I had a couple of waves where I hit unseen knots, with my manual mill you could feel it in the " push ". How do you prevent this ? saw the whole cant slower ? Will I "know " with more experience on this mill ? Here's a couple of pictures and one of the project for my wife.

Bandmill Bandit

looking good! If you remove the hitch your knees will thank you alot. 

Mine come off as part of the set up process.

Lasershark

Quote from: trimguy on June 20, 2020, 02:49:13 PM
... I had a couple of waves where I hit unseen knots, with my manual mill you could feel it in the " push ". How do you prevent this ? saw the whole cant slower ? Will I "know " with more experience on this mill ? 
I'm not as experienced as other here, but I had that exact experience and I solved it by either 1. changing the blade. 2. Keeping the PSI directly at 3000 and 3. Toggling the lube-miser from intermittent to continuous when I could see the pressure dropping. 
2020 LT-50 Wide, 38 HP Gas, with debarker, lubemiser and operator's seat,  2002 Dodge Ram, Echo chainsaw, Ogam multi-rip Gang saw, Cook Manufacturing Sharpener/Setter Combo.  RS-2 resaw attachment.

Thank You Sponsors!