Coon

Shoot now ask questions later.   :D :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Mooseherder

Quote from: WH_Conley on February 29, 2008, 11:34:19 PM
What would you do?
\
Sometimes I do this. Especially if my little dog is around. If I can't identify it quickly as a friendly snake it gets whacked.

Sometimes by accident the Weed Wacker does the whacking. ;)

scsmith42

Man, I thought that this thread was going to be about lawyers...   :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

limbrat

Mooseherder too bad you didnt get a quick id on those. The top one is a cornsnake, they got a mark on the top of there head that looks like a corn kernel. There top grade for pest and snake control. And the second one is not a snake but a legless lizard. I bet his tail came off easy and you cant see it to good but they have a ear hole behind there jaw. I think its called a glass snake cornsnake would have got him too if he caught him on top of the ground.
I know how it is i gota deal with any that the wife sees and i dont handle any live ones around the little ones. I dont wont them picking up any little copperheads cause they seen me moving a king,corn,garder,gopher,hog, or any other kind of snake out of my wifes line of site. So i end up wacking some that dont deserve it.
ben

mountaineer

i bet you have all kinds of snakes down in louisianna.up here in the mountains of nc they're just arent very many.  :)

PawNature

You know it depends on the kind of snake. Black snakes I don't bother. Rattlers and Copperheads I don't have any use for.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

sawguy21

Rattlesnakes are the only nasty ones I have had to deal with, fortunately, not up close. I find snakes quite fascinating and they are great for pest control.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

I know what you mean about nasty snakes.It's that time of year for snow snakes.Those things can really put a hurt on ya.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Onthesauk

An article on the internet this morning about, "Humans hardwired to fear snakes."  Google search "snakes, hardwire"
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

isawlogs

I dont like snakes   :-\ ... good , bad , middle ... Shoot um , hit um, run over um ... bang um , what ever is easier um.. Only thing I dont do is thump um .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Don't kill the non-poisonous ones. 

They are only trying to make a living, and unless they come into the house, kindly remove them to a place away from the house.  It is a shame to kill the innocent ones because of a fear of the dangerous ones.  That is like shooting someone who drives up into your yard because they might be a thief :).

In some states, it is against the law to kill the innocent ones.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

zopi

iffit's a viper...buh-byee!

pretty much everything else is alright...from a distance..and if it's in the house it's toast..

Little black snake lives in one of my sheds...i do try to persuade him to stay out of the rafters though.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

fuzzybear

Well the first thing I would do is go change my underwear....then get ready for the world to end.....NOOOOOO snakes way up here. Way to cold for them.  We just got large hungry bears. ;D
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Dave Shepard

I might see a garter snake here once a year, but could go two or three. I know there are black snakes around, and rattlers the next town over. Just don't see them enough to worry about, although I will say the last one I saw was on the wrong end of a load of .22MAG snake shot. Not going under a piece of equipment with a 4' snake, no how!

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pappy19

Years ago when I was in college a fellow down the hall was doing a master's thesis on the public's general dislike for snakes. As part of his routine, he would go to a lonely stretch of highway and place a very realistic rubber snake on the road. He would place it so that the driver would have to go out of their way to run over it. Then he would hide in the woods and wait to record whatever happened. As I recall, almost 99% went out of their way to hit the rubber snake. On one particular occasion, after the driver ran over the fake snake, he stopped, backed up until the rear tire was on the snake and then pealed out, flipping the rubber snake many yards into the woods. It took my researcher friend a good while to find the remnants of the now distroyed rubber snake( he was laughing for such a long period of time, he forgot where it landed) and he had to request additional funds to acquire another one. If I remember correctly, he got an A on his paper. I just wish I had obtained a copy but I heard it was a very popular publication.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Onthesauk

My Dad and Uncle dry land farmed in North Dakota when I was a kid and I use to get to go to the fields with them.  They had one combine driver who use to stand 30 feet away and peg rocks at the combine in the mornings before he would get near it.  The rattlesnakes would crawl in under the equipment at night because it was nice and warm and he was scared to death of snakes.

I can remember counting a dozen dead snakes on the highway each trip between the fields and home and yet we ran and played in the stubble and never worried about them.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Dave Shepard

I've heard of people parking equipment on a patch of bare ground and raking the ground smooth. Then in the morning you look for squiggle marks. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Weekend_Sawyer

If It's got rattles It's coming home for supper! I have never tried any other snake but rattlesnake tastes great!
Beyond that I let them all go, we have so many mice in the cabin I like having snakes around. Just don't want to find one in my sleeping bag :o
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Dave Shepard

I don't know if I'd try rattlesnake, McDonalds is just so much safer. ::) ;D

Dave

ely

semologger

I was getting ready to grease the head on my cutting machine. Set grease gun down about an inch from it. went did something else came back. I picked up the grease gun started greaseing the bottom grase fitting and out came this snakes head about an inch from my hand. i could  feal its tounge when it stuck it out. Well i about crapped myself. I jumped back and yelled at my skidder driver to come over there and see what kind of snake it was. I wasnt going close to it. He grabs a little stick walks up there and jumps back and said we need a bigger stick.It was a timber rattler :o. Needless to say snake didnt make it. The thing about it was We was on an conservation ground not suppost to kill the right. I asked the conservation agent what he would of done and he said the same thing. Later that week an agent showed up at my workers house saying he wanted to snake. He had already got rid of it. Good thing I dont know what the fines are for killing one i hear pretty steap.

limbrat

I dont like Copperheads just sneaky land mocans in drag. Had one come up out of the leaf litter between my hands and my face once while i was laying on my stomach hooking a chain up to brush that i was pulling up by the roots out. He would have gotten me if i wouldnt have had gloves on.
Ever seen a snake climb a big tree? They wedge there body into the ridges in the bark and go almost straight up its very slick and they dont mess around they get on up there.
I like snakes i think they are very benifical animals. I realy like the racers, there harmless but they put up a good bluff.
ben

Thank You Sponsors!