iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tire size opinion needed.

Started by Modat22, December 27, 2005, 10:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

My bandsaw building has been a bit slow with the overhauling of my engine and all that. I'm finally at the metal ordering stage and trying to mentally pull the thing together.

Tire size has been going around in my mind for a while now and I can't make my mind up, so I figured I'd ask you guys for an opinion.

Option 1.
I can get axles off a ford van that accept 15 inch rims. I'm not sure what type of tire I'd rather use though, I'm thinking about a mud and snow tire and grinding the crown.

Option 2.
I've been looking at 12 inch 5 lug boat tires at wallmart that generally sell for 40.00 for a mounted tire and rim. Approx Diameter is 23 inches.

My mill track should be able to handle a 48 inch dia log, chances are very slim of me being able to load such a large log manually though.

The motor is a high torque 25 hp wisconsin running at 2500 rpm.

What do you fellas recommend?

Hopefully I'll have a construction thread started soon and I can stop posting to that boring engine overhaul thread.

Thanks folks!!
remember man that thy are dust.

Fla._Deadheader

We used 13'' Boat trailer tires and wheels.

If and when I build another, 12'' would be the size I would use.  You don't have to grind anything with the trailer tires. Put a little extra air in them and yer good to go.

An older model Opel car has spindles mounted on square plates. Makes for an easy idler wheel install. Older, being 60's year model.  Might be others. Ramblers had the same set up, but, had 14'' or 15'' wheels. Too big in my book.

There's a ton of photos in the gallery of homebuilt mills.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Modat22

Thanks for the heads up, I'm leaning toward the boat tires, less work and easy to find if I have a blow out.

Fla._Deadheader

New tires should last a lifetime. We had blades break until we changed brand, and the blades DID scar up the sidewalls a little. No way are the tires risky though.

We have a couple 1.5'' WoodMizer bands, but, all others are Munksforsager. Very sharp out of the box, stiff enough to cut well, and hold the sharpness real well, until you hit rocks, dirt, mud, and SOME forms of steel.  We have cut nails, stopped the blade and picked the ''burrs'' off the few teeth that had the steel, and went back to sawing, with no noticable effects.

We bought one blade, and built the sawhead to it. We cut 36'' wide table tops on our mill.
   First, it is ridiculed;

thurlow

Probably shouldn't even post in a band-mill thread, since that's out of my area of expertise (yeah, RIGHT, like I'm an expert at anything), but.............couple of neighbor have built mills;  they both used the mini/high pressure spares that come with many of today's new cars.  Picked them up at salvage yards.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Modat22

I thought about those as well but wasn't sure about the bolt pattern.

If I steer away from the 15 inch tires and rims I'll probably be ordering trailer hubs from northern or someplace similar, perhaps jcwhitney.

Thanks for response

D._Frederick

Stay away from the small diameter spindles from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company, they flex and end up breaking. The closure to 1 1/2 inch diameter, the better.

jrokusek

Every once in a while northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company has a free shipping sale.  That's how I got my 12" trailer tires (20.5" overall), my ATV hubs, pillow block bearings, etc.  2 huge boxes $0 for shipping!   8)   Hopefully I can take it for a maiden voyage on Thursday!!

Jim

Modat22

Howdy Jim, did you get your beast finished?

jrokusek

Almost done!  Blade guides are mostly fabricated right now.   When I get back to the mill (70 miles away) I have to install,adjust, and hopefully set the thing up...if the snow isn't too deep..  Blade guides are nothing special - 2 bearings on top, one behind the band .  What I think I might do is have a guide like the picture made up by a buddy of mine.  This one is from the SMG Champion Sawmill.

[/img]

Modat22

Are those guides sized for a certain bandwidth?

jrokusek

Quote from: Modat22 on December 28, 2005, 11:19:21 AM
Are those guides sized for a certain bandwidth?

Yup.  I bet the guys who have Cooks guides, which are similar can tell you more than I can.  If my homemade version works well I may just keep what I have.  We'll see how it cuts - that'll tell me more than I know today!    ;)

Fla._Deadheader

The ones in the picture look fine. They need grooves cut into the surface, so the water and debris does not buildup or get squeezed out from Blade contact, or squished TO the blade, causing rise and fall of the blade, and thumping.  How are the ones pictured adjusted for proper blade function??
   First, it is ridiculed;

jrokusek

Don't know that exactly.  Shouldn't be too hard to design my own that can tilt just a bit. 

D._Frederick

Look at Cooks Saw guides, they are adjustable in all directions.

Fla._Deadheader

Exactly. If there is minimal adjustment, you have to mount them things real close in the beginning ??  NOT real easy to do.  :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

rbarshaw

I used the Cooks guides on mine. I set it all up with a blade in place on the tires and clamped the guides to the mill just touching the blade top and back with the guides set to the center on all adjustments, welded it in place then adjusted the adjustments till all ran smoothly. if you were to do this I'd clamp with  a little downward deflection of the blade prior to welding as I had to use most of the downward adjustment on the guide. Photos in my gallery.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

jrokusek

rbarshaw - I studdied your gallery extensively prior to building my mill!  Anyway, I didn't get nearly as much done today as I wanted to do.  The day was cut short my miserable weather....not to mention a late start on traveling, my drill bits dulled in record speed, etc.  Typicall stuff that drives a guy nuts.

I think I know why everyone who has built a homemade mill recommends buying commercial blade guides....what a pain!

Jim

Fla._Deadheader

Actually Jim, it's ''what a pleasure''.   ::) ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

rbarshaw

Quote from: jrokusek on December 30, 2005, 12:15:42 AM
rbarshaw - I studdied your gallery extensively prior to building my mill!  Anyway, I didn't get nearly as much done today as I wanted to do.  The day was cut short my miserable weather....not to mention a late start on traveling, my drill bits dulled in record speed, etc.  Typicall stuff that drives a guy nuts.

I think I know why everyone who has built a homemade mill recommends buying commercial blade guides....what a pain!

Jim
Thanks for studying my gallery, I hope it didn't lead you too far astray :D
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Modat22

I'm at a stand still on building, I can't find anyone to haul the metal home for me. Yet.

jrokusek

Check out a U-Haul trailer.  I was going to rent one for moving some other junk and found that it was only about $38 or so for the trailer that I needed to use.  Probably could get by even cheaper.....

Jim

Modat22

I can get a car trailer but my truck is somewhat unreliable.

Most of the metal is 20' plus long so the car trailer is necessary. I think I'll have to do a "Real bad thing" and call in sick soon just to pick up my material.

Thank You Sponsors!